Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dual wield at start?

dmclifton_ESO
Back in beta used to be able to grab double axes...just started now and see no dual wield option...anybody know how I can get two blades in the beginning so I can start leveling dual wield?
  • TirielsWhisper
    TirielsWhisper
    ✭✭✭
    There's also no option for bows or Restoration Staves.

I'm rather disappointed*. I wanted to level my templar with a healing staff, but I guess I'm not allowed.

Edited to add: *Actually, that's an understatement. I'm really pretty mad. I'm sitting here wasting my time with a sword and shield I have 0 intention of using.
    Edited by TirielsWhisper on March 30, 2014 1:45PM
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    It's a matter of luck of the drop.
    I managed to find a one handed axe and dual wielded it with the one handed sword my Khajiit picked up. But, it's between you and your own luck.
  • TirielsWhisper
    TirielsWhisper
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to find a one handed axe and dual wielded it with the one handed sword my Khajiit picked up. But, it's between you and your own luck.

Unless you're planning on wielding sword and board, two handed, or a damage staff. Then, lucky you, the game is set up to cater to you. :)
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    Choose Sword&Board at start and you only need to find one other 1handed weapon -so its not all that bad
    You can find one in chests spread around in Coldharbour area (but its random loot so can take a while)
  • TyarVaroo
    TyarVaroo
    I've also started a topic about this.

In the earlier beta you were able to choose everything, then later on only a sword and now in the full game only a sword, mace or destruction staff.

This annoys me a bit, since I will be leveling a weapon I might not be using later in the game and is somethinig I hope Zenimax and Bethesda are looking into.
    "What is better... to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TyarVaroo wrote: »
    I've also started a topic about this.

In the earlier beta you were able to choose everything, then later on only a sword and now in the full game only a sword, mace or destruction staff.
    Hopefully, they'll fix it before I get access to the game on Tuesday.

Not holding my breath though...
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    They changed it in the last beta.

By the time I had escaped the prison I had found several weapons, including multiple staffs. When i left I got a package that when opened contained a bow. You'll find the weapon you need soon enough. If not make your way to a crafting station and craft it.
  • Drakanwulf
    Drakanwulf
    ✭✭
    Why should I run through three to four levels with my Nightblade forced to level skills THAT I SHALL NEVER, EVER USE AGAIN? Because these buffs cannot be recovered, they are wasted! This, in my opinion, is a massive oversight by Bethesda and the game devs.

I have made two or three Khajiti and/or Dunmer Nightblades trying to find the missing weapon I need to enable my dual wielding skills with no luck at all; I cannot pick up a second sword nor are their any paired daggers or axes on the table or in the room.

The problem is that I have to fight two bad guys in the next two tutorial rooms and these two dead guys force me to level up whatever weapons skill my character has at the time; this wastes at least one skill buff.

If I could find a bow in the room, I would use it until I could find two swords, daggers or axes. At least, this way, I would not be wasting a skill buff.

What a waste of USD70.00 !!!

OTOH, I am not having any troubles logging in, staying connected, or running the noob quests in The Wailing Prison ... I think this is a good thing.

P.S. This is the same Drakanwulf who complained (vociferously) about the weapons table (and many other things) during the invitational beta tests.
    Edited by Drakanwulf on March 30, 2014 5:40PM
  • Elvikun
    Elvikun
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, isn't this a little tiny bit of an over-reaction to being forced to go trough tutorial with a weapon you don't like, unless you get lucky and loot the one you do like? It's like 10 minutes for crying out loud.
    Failing is a lifestyle too.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are several chests all around in the prison ..loot them. You will find what you need ;)
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Drakanwulf
    Drakanwulf
    ✭✭
    @greydog: I have been looting chests, bone piles, wheel barrows, iron maidens, etc., but there's nothing in the ones BEFORE you get to the weapons table and looting chests for weapons after the first skill buff does not recover the wasted buff.
  • Drakanwulf
    Drakanwulf
    ✭✭
    @Elvikun: No, it's not an over reaction because there is a limited, finite set of weapons skill buffs that one character can receive during its lifetime.

What I am complaining about are the wasted weapons buffs; the same ones that existed during Beta testing; the same ones that were complained about during Beta testing and the same ones that have not been fixed since Beta testing and still exist in a retail game I paid good money for! And it's such an obvious bug too ... :(
  • binkbankbonk
    What weapons buffs are you talking about? As far as I know, there is nothing that you are forced level up in the tutorial with a sword that you can't use later on with a different weapon.
  • stypsyb14_ESO
    stypsyb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Agree with BinkbankBonk .. you don't have to put any skill points where you don't want too ... find a bow somewhere in wailing prison ... or wait till the end when you get a pack for completing wailing prison which will contain a bow with +22% skill leveling bonus.
    Easy Peasy
  • stypsyb14_ESO
    stypsyb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Just like skyrim you'll be able to level all skills to 50 .. but you won't have skill points spent in all areas
  • Elvikun
    Elvikun
    ✭✭✭
    Drakanwulf wrote: »
    @Elvikun: No, it's not an over reaction because there is a limited, finite set of weapons skill buffs that one character can receive during its lifetime.
    Ok... I am a noobie (and hopefully it's not too bad being one few hours after the start of early acces) and I failed to find what is weapon skill buff and how is it limited or finite as you say, would you mind explaining it a little bit? Because you did make me a little nervous, since everything "finite" makes me so.
    Edit: Skillpoints might be technically limited, but then again, I assume you won't put a skillpoint in the tree you won't use, so that is not what you mean I would imagine.

I jumped into an assumption a little there and thought your complaint is basically about wasting 20 seconds on killing two enemies with a weapon you will never use, even tho you called it a buff. I guess you can see how that could be viewed as "meh". :P
    Edited by Elvikun on March 30, 2014 6:12PM
  • claudekennilol
    claudekennilol
    ✭✭✭
    You're highly mistaken about what "weapon buffs" are. You level up whatever you're using. When you pick up what you do want and start using that you'll start leveling that up. You're not forced to spend skill points on something you won't be using and that is only thing that is "finite" (in quotes because if you play long enough you'll find enough skill points for everything).
  • d.zid.816b16_ESO
    I remember reading something in the beta forums during the final beta, explaining that a lot of new players were getting 'confused' by all the weapon choices.

So they reduced it to just a sword, and now to what we have currently.
    Dumb change all in all really. More choice = win
    Elvikun wrote: »
    Erm, isn't this a little tiny bit of an over-reaction to being forced to go trough tutorial with a weapon you don't like, unless you get lucky and loot the one you do like? It's like 10 minutes for crying out loud.

Well considering you could at one point in the beta pick from pretty much any weapon combo you wanted, it is a step backwards.
    Edited by d.zid.816b16_ESO on March 30, 2014 6:11PM
  • Drakanwulf
    Drakanwulf
    ✭✭
    Ah, rats!!! This is all my bad!!! Here's the scenario that I misread ...

You're a noob character going through The Wailing Prison and you get to the weapons table. Pick one; go into the next room and kill the red enemy in front of you.

Go into the next room and kill the archer waiting for you there. When you do, you will Level Up, get an Attribute point (Magicka, Health, Stamina), and a skill point (which you can use anywhere including on a weapon).

You will also see a message scroll across your screen saying that "XXX weapon skill" has just increased; the message changes depending on the weapon you equipped from the table.

Now here's where I blew it ... I associated the weapons skill increase message with the Level Up messages WHICH IS NOT TRUE !!!

The other guys are soooo right ... weapons skills increase because you use the weapons and not because you level up.

And I am sooo sorry for having started all this brouhaha ... please, everyone, accept my most humble apologies as I bend over as far as I can to remove my head from that nether orifice where I had parked it earlier in this post.

But I still think the weapons table should have at least two daggers or two axes on it for us dual wielding characters ... :)
    Edited by Drakanwulf on March 30, 2014 6:31PM
  • Elvikun
    Elvikun
    ✭✭✭
    Drakanwulf wrote: »
    And I am sooo sorry for having started all this brouhaha ... please, everyone, accept my most humble apologies as I bend over as far as I can to remove my head from that nether orifice where I had parked it earlier in this post.

But I still think the weapons table should have at least two daggers or two axes on it for us dual wielding characters ... :)
    Gee, I'm really glad it was just a mistake, I got a bit nervous because I was testing out ALL the weapons and got worried it might have some serious bad impact later on.

But yes, agreed, more choice is never a bad thing, and reducing the original armoury to just two sets seems a bit... needless?
  • Pandemon1c
    Pandemon1c
    Soul Shriven
    Seriously, cry more people. Pick one of the 3 starter weapon choices, then open up containers. I had at least 15 weapons in my bag before I was out of Coldharbour... Lightning Staff, 2 Resto staves, destruction staff, swords 1h and 2h, and maces etc. Getting some levels with weapons you don't plan on sticking with is in no way a disadvantage to you.... get the weapon you want to use and spend 10 minutes with it and you'll have caught up to where Coldharbour would have you.
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    It is unfortunate that they don't have all weapon types, however, even if you level up you are not forced to spend the skill points. Just save them for later.
  • Soultwister
    It is a dumb change to force me to spend any time in a weapon I don't want to level. If they had left it as it was in the earlier betas even if I picked the "wrong" weapon I am no worse than I am now. However it penalizes my level speed on the weapon I really want as it is now. I thought they said on the reddit QA that they were giving is all options back to start? Not a huge deal but very annoying and bad form all around on this.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the biggest thing we're whining about at Early Access, I'd say the game is in great shape.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Nerevariine
    Nerevariine
    Soul Shriven
    Still, what a waste of dev time.

Some people had too many choices, so what? Atleast all the weapon choices in game were laid out in an orderly fashion. This change only serve to confuse them down the road.
    "Life has no meaning a priori… It is up to you to give it a meaning."

― Jean-Paul Sartre
  • dispatcher505_ESO
    I'm sure that all the weapons were available right off the bat in the beta because they wanted to test all the weapons.
  • Decora
    Decora
    I was very confused when I got to the room and couldn't find my resto staff anywhere. I probably ran around the entire room 5 times wondering if I was seriously missing something.

I'm annoyed with the change, but it's not a critical or game breaking change for me. Yes, I'm losing a bit of time with my weapon of choice. But the amount of time I spend in Coldharbor is so short that it won't make a real difference in the end.

Although, for new players losing that option could cause some confusion - if they haven't researched their chosen "class type" they might not be aware that there is a better weapon for them until one drops later on.

Going forward I'm going to just skip Coldharbor (love this option!) and pull some money out of my bank to buy my preferred weapons.
  • mystkldrgnb14_ESO
    mystkldrgnb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is a really stupid game design decision. Telling people right off the bat that the HYpe Is Wrong - they can't even pick the starter weapon they wanted to start with. (?)

Why do you allow the pick of classes when you can't even start off with the weapons best applicable to the class. And the NPC Vendors are so FRICKING EXPENSIVE for anyone coming out of the tutorial and doing just a few quests (ooh I had 10 gold... and the weapons are hundreds of gold) that you're basically punshing anyone who has no need for any of the weapons you gave them to pick from.

And yea you can save the points, but who wants to run around nerfed for a level or so slowly wacking at things getting harder and harder to kill because they are stuck using a tutorial weapon they never wanted to play with that class in the first place.

Exact opposite of the idea of the entire talent tree to start with.

If you're not going to give all the options from the tutorial (as it was in most of closed beta and seriously did anyone complain about being too confused? I never read that...) then there needs to be cheaply purchasable ones equal to the starter weapons in the starter town there where you "rez" into the land of the living.

So that way you can run out of the dungeon and for 5 gold get the "tutorial" version of the weapon you just picked up for free, and can continue on doing ...you know.. WHAT YOU WANT TO DO...

*facepalms* Seriously... basic stuff again.

There is no benefit to this system as it is. None. No reason at all why you would limit it to three weapon choices and then force people to grind time before they can swtich to what they want to do FOR FUN... within 10 minutes of the start of the game?

That's brilliant. /sarcasm off. *chuckles*
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in beta used to be able to grab double axes...just started now and see no dual wield option...anybody know how I can get two blades in the beginning so I can start leveling dual wield?

You could gather the materials to craft yourself a second one-hander in about ten minutes.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭

Not really. There's now a truncated introduction zone after which you can just craft whichever weapon you like. Granted, I didn't see the sense in limiting the weapons you first pick up, but it's no more than a 20 minute delay to get precisely what you want.