Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Between Mirri and Bastian, which makes the better Healer?

JMadFour
JMadFour
✭✭✭✭✭
I use Isobel as a Tank, and Ember as Mag DPS.

So between Mirri and Bastian, I wanna use one as a Healer, but I am unsure which to use.

Thoughts?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 12, 2022 1:36AM
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri is the better of the two for heals IMO
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only discovered companions more recently, but other than her fascination with insects I find Mirri to be the better companion overall.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. according to their passive racial skills Mirri should be the better healer. I use Bastian as a 2H DPS.

Bastian - 3% max health & damage done
    Mirri - 3% healing & damage done
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think @Aliyavana mentioned in a thread that Bastian is better as both tank and healer

Also, paging @phaneub17_ESO your wisdom is required
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    Well. according to their passive racial skills Mirri should be the better healer. I use Bastian as a 2H DPS.

How does Bastian work as 2H DPS? I've been told that melee dps overall for companions is less than ideal.

I had been thinking about making Bastian a 2H DPS since Isobel seems to be a superior tank anyway.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive been using bastion as a healer, because i dislike him, but he doesnt do a bad job healing

i would say ember or isobel make a better healer than either mirri or bastion
    JMadFour wrote: »
    LalMirchi wrote: »

How does Bastian work as 2H DPS? I've been told that melee dps overall for companions is less than ideal.

I had been thinking about making Bastian a 2H DPS since Isobel seems to be a superior tank anyway.

i personally dislike using a companion in melee range unless they are a tank, they just die way too easy in melee unless they are built for tanking
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiKahn wrote: »
    I think @Aliyavana mentioned in a thread that Bastian is better as both tank and healer

Also, paging @phaneub17_ESO your wisdom is required

Uh huh... Okay so I don't heal with a Restoration Staff because of the roll dodge nuisance or Soothing Trait, I prefer to use Two-Handed, Dual-Wield, or Frost Staff with Quickened. Of course you want to use 5-7 Light Armor.

If you do plan on using a Restoration Staff, here's a rundown of the abilities.
    - Rejuvenation is another Blood Transfusion or Reverse Entropy that can also target themselves.
    - Mending Incantation only casts when you or someone friendly walks in front of the companion otherwise its a dead ability slot as they won't actively make their way towards you to use it, you have to go to them. It also increases the likeliness that the companion will roll dodge as often you'll be bringing the target they are focused on into their melee range.
    - Mystic Fortress is a massive shield, but its condition for <25% health means its a dead slot for a large portion of the time or it will likely be used on themselves as they're pretty fragile.

I like my companions to be in melee range or not roll dodging frequently so I use Two-Handed, Dual-Wield or Frost Staff. You could use One-Hand and Shield for more armor, but you'll be cutting down their power from 4350 to 3675 so their abilities will be less effective. I explained in my thread why I don't like Soothing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. Quickened though not ideally the best trait increases the frequency of casts with less time spent auto attacking. Focused for Ember is great if you're doing a hybrid build with both damage and healing abilities, just be warned it makes her more of a target.

My personal choices:

Isobel A: Two-Handed, Blessed Sacrament, Sunder, Beam of Reproach, Sun Brand, Holy Ground.
    Isobel B: Blessed Sacrament, Solar Ward, Beam of Reproach, Reverse Entropy, Holy Ground.
    Full Quickened, Solar Ward downtime is 1 second, so its always up making her ideal in melee with constant damage reduction and a damage shield to boot.

Ember A: Quick Fix, Crystal Blast, Reverse Entropy, Shocking Burst, Shared Wards.
    Ember B: Quick Fix, Crimson Font, Reverse Entropy, Shared Wards, Haste/Second Wind.
    If you plan on using both Haste and Second Wind, I would drop Quick Fix then Haste goes before Second Wind.

Bastian A: Kindle, Crimson Font, Reverse Entropy, Basalt Barrier, Skeletal Aegis.
    Bastian B: Crimson Font, Reverse Entropy, Basalt Barrier, Skeletal Aegis, Haste.
    This is a little more unique setup, Synergies provided by companions count towards Undaunted Command so you can get 2-4 health and resource refreshers roughly every 25 seconds. Basalt Barrier has a 15% bonus healing taken effect, but only while his shield is active so when it breaks the bonus healing is gone. Putting it after the healing over time effects ensures some ticks will get a boost rather than having it cast first which could be consumed before the healing over time effects cast.

Mirri A: Two-Handed, Crimson Font, Life Siphon, Blood Transfusion, Life Absorption, Reverse Entropy.
    Mirri B: Crimson Font, Blood Transfusion, Reverse Entropy, Life Absorption, Haste.
    Life Siphon requires melee range or it won't cast. You could go with a Restoration Staff, get rid of Life Absorption, and use Rejuvenation so you end up with 4 healing over time effects constantly rolling.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *snip*

Man....it never even occurred to me, to have my companion heal without a Resto Staff. It's just a natural thought that Resto is absolutely necessary. But then again, Companions work differently from players huh.

Maybe I'll try a no-resto healer with Mirri.

• JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isobel A: Two-Handed, Blessed Sacrament, Sunder, Beam of Reproach, Sun Brand, Holy Ground.

Mirri A: Two-Handed, Crimson Font, Life Siphon, Blood Transfusion, Life Absorption, Reverse Entropy.

OK so these two are extremely interesting to me. the first is pretty much the definition of a Paladin, which is a very attractive theme to me.

the second is interesting, but I'd do DW intead of 2H, and I'm curious how much difference that would make.

I'm also curious as to how each set up might perform for things like WBs and dungeons, without the Resto heals.
    Edited by JMadFour on July 15, 2022 5:48AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon Power dictates the strength of abilities used by companions not just the damage of their auto attack, a Two-Handed be it a melee weapon or Staff has 900 at epic quality. You can Dual-Wield all the same, but you lose strength potential if they don't both equal 450 or 900 total, One-Hand and Shield is even less effective because its only 450 max. So Dual-Wield if you want if its for aesthetic purposes, just know having a lower power weapon means less output.

Two-Handed Bastian tanking with Savage Instincts instead of Provoke works too, it increases his Basalt Barrier to 4350 damage absorption vs 3675 with One-Hand and Shield. Though Isobel's Solar Ward beats it both ways, at the minimum its 3750 and at max with full stack Vigorous goes up to 4912; however, her weapon damage has no effect on this.