The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A case for why more Health Scaling skills is a good thing.... and why it isn't?

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, I know this is a contentious topic so I will remain as unbiased as I can be. I will split this post into pros and cons to try and remain objective.

Pros: Cases for:

There is a lack of abilities that actually scale with Health in order for them to be effective.

Tanks are relegated to endgame content or PVP. Effectively making them only useful for like 10% of the full game content. (This is also a reason why many Tank Morphs are redundant and DPS players feel like there is a lack of variety in option but that is for another post.)

The skills that do DAMAGE and scale with Health are not very effective in either PVE or PVP.

Cons: Cases against:

The skills that are effective namely the Healing skills can be obnoxious in PVP.

Some sets that proc damage based on health are equally pernicious in PVP.

Health scaling is tricky to balance right and as such it negatively impacts PVP.

Summary:

I personally feel that there is room for more health scaling damage abilities but only if they are limited to ground Dots.

A good example here is Gripping Shards. I personally, feel that they got this skill right as it is a ground Dot and as such is not too oppressive in PVP in terms of its damage output. Yes, its immobilize is there as a CC nuisance but many skills provide similar CC so for me this is a non-factor. Given that it is a ground DoT players in PVP can simply move out of it. Furthermore, it is a DoT and thus lack burst which is the primary playstyle in PVP.

I do admit that certain sets like Thews for example is a bad direction for Health Scaling, even after the nerf it still is oppressive in ball groups that run it.

As such I would argue that there is room for more damage skills that scale with Health but ONLY if they are relegated to ground DoT's. Burst skills and single target DoT's are unacceptable due to them being harder to avoid. This is not to say that sets like Glacial Guardian could use a buff, as it is pretty trash right now.

I also, feel like this should be the standard for heals too, I do not believe that burst heals should scale with health. I think that heals over time however it fine. A tank should be about sustained survivability and sustained damage. Not burst in any nature outside of emergency damage shields.

I know players may disagree for various reasons but these are just my opinions as currently like I said. Tanks are valuable in a small percentage of the game content, Healers don't have this worry as they can switch skills easily and still slot a few damage skills to overland well.

Final Thoughts:

I think a fair amount would be 2 skills that act as AoE DoT's for each class be allowed to scale with Health to give PVE Tanks a bit more damage for overland while also opening the door for bruiser style builds to work properly.

However, burst skills and sets that reflect damage should never scale with Health.