The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Exactly which type of damage does Fitness star "Fortified" ("Armor") protect against?

Stille_desAethers
Stille_desAethers
✭✭✭
I realize this must sound like an incredibly dumb question, but I've come across conflicting information regarding what "Armor" means. Some have said it only protects against martial damage, or physical damage, others say it protects against all types of damage (including spell).

Thanks for dispelling my confusion once and for all!

Aus der Engel Ordnungen is a bald, bespectacled, Dunmer vampire with an affection for Dwarven tech. She cannot hear you scream. "For beauty really is nothing but the beginning of terror..."
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not 100% sure, but I believe Armor (Fortified) is both now. There are other stars that are specific to magic vs. physical damage, and of course the type of armor worn, but "Armor" in general covers both. If I'm wrong, I am 100% sure someone will correct me.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is both Martial and Magical, just does nothing against Oblivion damage or certain abilities that ignore armor (Corrosive, Onslaught, etc.)
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ckavan wrote: »
    I realize this must sound like an incredibly dumb question, but I've come across conflicting information regarding what "Armor" means. Some have said it only protects against martial damage, or physical damage, others say it protects against all types of damage (including spell).

Thanks for dispelling my confusion once and for all!

Armor protects against nothing.

What armor does is increase both your physical and spell resistance, which protect against certain damage types. (It used to be different, but let's focus only on the current).
    If you equip and remove a piece of gear you can see the numbers going up and down on the character sheet. 33k resistances grants you 50% damage mitigation, with a straight correlation (so 3.3k resistances is worth 5% damage mitigation).

So, to summarize:
    Armor = Nothing except granting both Physical and Spell resistance equal to the number. (aka 1000 armor = 1000 physical AND 1000 spell resistance).
    660 resist = 1% damage mitigated, up to 50% (which occurs at 33k)

It 100% worked differently in the past, but don't worry about that now unless you wanna read up about it as a change out of curiosity (which some players might).
  • Stille_desAethers
    Stille_desAethers
    ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone, this has been very helpful, and even accounted for the source of my confusion.
    Aus der Engel Ordnungen is a bald, bespectacled, Dunmer vampire with an affection for Dwarven tech. She cannot hear you scream. "For beauty really is nothing but the beginning of terror..."