The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What are players thoughts on hybridisation?

divnyi
divnyi
✭✭✭✭✭
Good time passed since hybridisation was introduced.
I think this subject can be retrospected from PvP perspective.

What are players thoughts on hybridisation? 71 votes

We need more hybridisation (explain where)
15%
kwisatzbirdikIcy_Nelyancmetzger93Rex-Umbraxylena_lazarowWrathOfInnoskatorgaTsunahmieEF321NeuroticPixels 11 votes
Current situation is good
26%
NemeliomBrrrofskiOberon45CadburyRaddlemanNumber7IZZEFlameLashKurtAngle2JingleclawWoppaBoemDiebesgutbuzzclopstaugrimM0ntieShadieqKiltMasterDuke_FalconCameraBeardThePirateFeedbackOnlyendgamesmug 19 votes
Hybridisation is overdone (explain why)
57%
Kikazaruacastanza_ESOIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOOminerDTStormfoxCheloRagnaroek93BalticBluesbinhoTyrion87Dracan_FontomReactmeekmikoSylosiEmmagoldmanNelothTrinotopsKalitasPhoenixGreyUnified_Gaming 41 votes
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hybridisation is really just simplification. It removes uniqueness from classes, playstyles and builds imo.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It allows groups to have healing strong enough to absorb damage from 5x their numbers and in full groups they can even ignore getting hit with numerous siege weapons at the same time as they heal through that and the damage of nearly a whole faction.
  • MetallicMonk
    MetallicMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really the most apparent things hybridizing has done in my opinion has given people access to new heals, and made class identity even less of a factor; neither which are good for the game to me.
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just another example of dumbing the game down. Has removed a lot of variety from the game.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t like the direction they took the game.

I remember the days when hybrid builds was only possible with the pelinal set… now this…. Is too much… too homogenized.
    Edited by Kikazaru on June 28, 2022 1:44AM
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I enjoyed it at first, we've reached a point where the "meta" playstyle is apparent for most classes and there is actually less variety than there was before.

There is absolutley 0 chance zenimax undoes the hybrid change though. With that in mind, I think they should look into;

1. Balancing the heals in the game. Cross healing is way too high, and self healing is slightly too high. Both are somewhat a result of the increased accessibility to healing brought about by the hybrid changes.
    2. Buff some of the stamina things in the game. In general stamina seems to be underperforming in comparison to magicka right now, and most "meta" Stan setups are using more mag than stam skills on their bars.
    Edited by React on June 28, 2022 1:55AM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • duckdown
    duckdown
    ✭✭✭
    It is the dumbest move ever done by zos.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ambivalent. I think making ultimates scale to your max stat was great. Many of the other changes, I'm not totally sure about. It definitely has benefitted certain classes more than others.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like hybridization.

It opens up creative builds.

I've been experimenting with a new hybrid Templar build. It's been fun so far.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened up more options builds for sure. I like the hybridization. However, issues lie within them clipping class identities over the course of ESO's life and there are only handful of sets that are useful and everyone uses the same sets on different classes as well in essence. Balance was already an issue pre-hybridization. So, I don't blame it on hybridization.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potion buffs should also be hybridized. I want to be able to restore Stamina and get Spell Crit, or restore Magicka and get Weapon Damage. I'm fine leaving them as a single resource restored, but the additional Major buffs should definitely be hybridized because they are an awkward hole in many builds currently.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also ambivalent because I can still run Stam or Magicka toons and they're not bad, they're still fun to play. I play stamblade like nothing changed and it's fine. Same with max Magicka sorcerer (though it's tough going on the latter, but I'm really rusty on that class). I have a Warden that is pretty much just a Stam warden, hybridizing didn't gain me enough to talk about with regard to that character. Really really fun to play, a beast in BGs.

Simultaneously I can play a templar more or less how I imagine a templar would play, similar to a paladin of other games. Support, tanky, bursty. Heavily armored with a weapon.

The bow sorcerer build is another build that to me seems really fun and impossible without hybridization...

I think the change exacerbated some of the homogenization issues the game already faced. Does this make theory crafting boring if ultimately every class appears the same except reskinned? In my opinion yes.

Some sets are just so obviously geared toward high offense/high defense in one package, but that's really all Oakensoul is a great example, an OP example, but markyn and magma are two decently balanced sets that put forth the same basic idea. Easy to run with that and so you get big groups with high health high resistance and can drop 7k spell damage dark convergence inside a negate, etc.

Is it a dumbing down? Maybe, maybe not.

Healing is an issue. I don't see why there should be stacking of the same hots. Separate hots, ok. That makes sense. Having four or so radiating regens active at once is kinda lame tho. Everyone run snow treaders, maelstrom resto, and what the hell is anyone gonna do to stop you from Healing Thru Everything while maintaining perfect position, ready to drop bombs.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who mainly does PvP, I love it. I think it added a lot to to the game and made theory crafting builds a lot more fun.

Some classes need looking at though, as it benefited some a lot more than others.
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hybridisation is really just simplification. It removes uniqueness from classes, playstyles and builds imo.

Pretty much this.
    Specs are non existent now, it's all hybrids, and if you try to build specifically for Mag or Stam you'll just put yourself at quite big disadvantage compare to typical hybrid abomination of a class. Not even mentioning stacking Regen and Vigor on one char, or some other atrocities like Corrosive on mDK.
    Edited by Wyrd88 on June 28, 2022 1:03PM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that they made possible to use skills from other side. I don't like that they are 100% effective, as if you were non-hybrid.
    Only limiting factor is being able to sustain it, which is not that hard. This effectively makes most effective strategy to go all hybrid, and disregard the cost and mag/stam label on them, just go for the most effective skills available.

If stam would be able to use mag at lesser efficiency, and mag would be able to use stam at lesser efficiency, it would be more interesting.

I'm also disappointed in how stat pools don't play any role at all, because you can go full WD/SD stacking and forget about the pools - your damage will not suffer, your healing will not suffer.

Perhaps if low pool of stam was reducing damage of stam skills, and low pool of mag was reducing damage of mag skills, it would be more fun? Like <18k pools = 0.5x, <22k pools = 0.75x, <25k pools = 0.9x, 30k pools = 1.0x
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I want to agree so bad, but at the same time it IS closer to Elder Scrolls this way, where your character has no real limitations. It's been like that for me since Daggerfall 26 years ago.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to agree so bad, but at the same time it IS closer to Elder Scrolls this way, where your character has no real limitations. It's been like that for me since Daggerfall 26 years ago.

But in Morrowind your int & willpower had impact on your magica skills across the board, str & agility & speed had impact on your physical strikes. Sure you could max both, but that's single player game.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Need more. Assuming ZOS is serious about it, there are gaps that need to be addressed to reach full "it doesn't matter mode".

Or....

Get rid of it. Go back to more diverse builds. Hybridization creates all sorts of imbalances.

- A "stamblade' can stack enough magicka to permacloak with no downsides.
    - You can stack damage and put all points in health and still have enough mag/stam to feel no negative impact on damage or heals
    - Everyone has over the top healing, heals need to scale of max mag/stam only. Damage needs to scale off wep/sp damage only, forcing trade offs in builds.
    - and so on....
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that it was overdone or underdone. I like that its possible to dip into both pools, but It was half baked. It's like if they suddenly removed classes and just let everyone pick from any skill line. You need to have some controls about stacking some things. At least a little foresight to how it will impact balance.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad it is back. Makes builds much more interesting.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    As someone who mainly does PvP, I love it. I think it added a lot to to the game and made theory crafting builds a lot more fun.

Some classes need looking at though, as it benefited some a lot more than others.

Agree 100%.

I'm having a blast coming up with a new Templar build, testing it out.

It does make certain too-good abilities (e.g. Coagulating Blood) now accessible to all players of a class, regardless of build. So those outlier abilities need to be looked at.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoying it. I used to always play 2 staffs (PVE) so the options to mix it up are great.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a good idea but like all the major changes in this game the consequences were poorly thought out; at least from a group, PvP perspective.

The medium armour passives made it so easy to stack weapon and spell damage that nothing else really mattered after a certain point. Sure, you need a good bit of penetration but you can source that from Mundus stone, CP, sets, etc. Especially if you're running in a group.

The net effect of these was that heals and damage got stronger and the variety among DDS was reduced. Proxy Bombing groups used to run light armor DDs with staves with a few stam DDs mixed in. Now everyone just runs med armour dual/wield DDs spamming basically the same skills. Miss running other weapons tbh

• acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've made comments to this effect before, but hybridization is the biggest mistake this game has ever made. It completely ignores fundamental principles that this game was designed around.

To quote myself:
    [Hybridization] is fundamentally incompatible with the core game design! They've created a "have your cake and eat it too" meta with regards to players just taking the strongest abilities without any consequences. Having access to the strongest Stam abilities should limit the strongest Magicka abilities in some way and vice versa. The core game design balanced this by having the abilities scale off different stats so you could Min/Max but couldn't Max/Max. There is a reason why Max/Max-ing isn't a thing in games, ZOS has created that.

ZOS needs to admit that this has fundamentally broken the game and revert it.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on July 1, 2022 6:40PM
  • Duke_Falcon
    Duke_Falcon
    ✭✭✭
    I think it probably helps the servers not lag as bad. Its nice for Stam toons to have access to mag heals, and nice to be able to play a Mag toon like a Stam toon.

I think Dark Elves have unintentionally taken a passive nerf from it.

Over all I like it, but I wouldn't take it any further.