Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning after 2 years, what's the current meta?

Sir_Hammock
Sir_Hammock
✭✭✭
Hello, I just returned to the game and wondering how the meta looks like. is it heavy? medium? high heals? dotts? what would you guys say and do you enjoy the current one?
And what kind of sets do people use now a days? I only play cyro, so I don't really care about no-cp since that campaign is dead on ps4 unfortunately.

I'll probably revive my old stamdk or stamsorc. Are they atleast decent atm? Don't need them to be top of cream, but would be nice if they weren't in the gutter lol
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is running hybrid builds these days. Crystal Weapon Bow Sorc and Inferno staff DK are in a good place right now.

At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Sir_Hammock
    Sir_Hammock
    ✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Everyone is running hybrid builds these days. Crystal Weapon Bow Sorc and Inferno staff DK are in a good place right now.

Hybrid? What change did they do to make hybrids the king? Never thought I would see that happening
    Edited by Sir_Hammock on June 24, 2022 7:43PM
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    High burst builds are gaining popularity thanks to the Oakensoul Ring mythic. Stamsorc is in a pretty good spot right now due to the changes to crystal weapon.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hvy Attack Meta Vs Hvy Tank Meta
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »

Hybrid? What change did they do to make hybrids the king? Never thought I would see that happening

Short answer is everything (your weapons and abilities) scales of it's highest relevant stat. Templars run exclusively spell damage (unless they are running POTL which most arn't) and DKs run Weapon damage, This is because of their inherent minor class buff.

Everyone else runs whatever they want to stack best, and you'll see sorc's running Crystal weapon and Mages Wrath.

At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oakensoul, Molten Whip, Flames of Oblivion, Corrosive Armor, ulti-gen mag DK.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll probably revive my old stamdk or stamsorc. Are they atleast decent atm? Don't need them to be top of cream, but would be nice if they weren't in the gutter lol
    Hahaha, both meta. WB.

Whether you're a stam or mag DK, you probably want to run Molten Whip and Flames of Oblivion, like I said. In terms of stam DK sets, I'll give you two options:

Option 1: Oakensoul, Bloodspawn, Plaguebreak, 3x Potentates, 1x Trainee, Decisive DW swords
    Option 2: Sea Serpent, Ironblood back bar, Plaguebreak front bar, Bloodspawn, 1x Trainee

I don't play these, but those are said to be two of the most broken options. Plaguebreak for the AOE potential and as a counter to templars (and wardens) purging your DOTs.

For stamsorc you probably want to be running Crystal Weapon, Overload, Haunting Curse and a bow. I say stamsorc, but everything is hybrid. Oakensoul, Savage Werewolf (which is said to be broken in some way I don't fully understand), 3x Endurance, 1x Trainee, some monster set, maybe Engine Guardian. I'm not sure whether Oakensoul is best on stamsorc to be honest. The class arguably has healing issues, especially in a 1-bar Oakensoul build. Even though health-regen is now halved by Battle Spirit, you can somewhat counter this by choosing Strategic Reserve CP, which synergises with Overload, as you can keep your ultimate level high. Running 3x Endurance plays into that theme.

If you want to try something really cheesy with your DK: Flame staff heavy attack build. Molten Armaments. Empower from Mage's Guild. Corrosive Armor. Oakensoul. Sergeant's Mail. Storm Master or maybe try Archer's Mind. Vampire stage 4. Sprint for 3 seconds and go invisible after a gank.
    Edited by fred4 on June 24, 2022 9:08PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy, light and medium are IMO all viable in any combination. Heavy is not the meta it once was.

High heals ... yes. For example stacking Vigor and Regen from resto staff is now possible. On the other hand, if you're an Oakensoul DK, you can make do with running around in Corrosive most of the time (or so I'm told). You'll want to look into Minor Heroism potions in addition to the above to make that happen. Still, you'll need Coagulating Blood for a burst heal and you may choose to heal from Shattering Rocks or Burning Embers. Oops. That's mag DK.

DK DOTs are still good. Other DOT skills tend to be weak. Poisons and some proc set DOTs can be strong.

For stam DK you might try running around with a Master's 2H weapon, Plaguebreak, Occult Overload CP and take out zergs in one or two swings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gTr0nXt3w
    Edited by fred4 on June 24, 2022 9:30PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What kind of sets? In general? Before this latest patch?

Markyn's Ring of Majesty
    Wild Hunt Ring (perhaps more of a personal preference)
    Death Dealer's Fete (if you want the stats)
    Magma Incarnate
    Bloodspawn
    Balorgh
    Rallying Cry
    Plaguebreak
    Dark Convergence (esp on necro)
    Daedric Trickery on DK (back bar)
    Wretched Vitality (back bar, for those hybrids)
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Heavy, light and medium are IMO all viable in any combination. Heavy is not the meta it once was.

This is true because they made changes to the armor passives and now they all scale per piece of that weight worn. So your not locked into 5/2 or 5/1/1 and many people now wear 4/2/1 or 4/3. The active abilities such as Shuffle from the armor skill lines still require 5 of that type be worn to use though.

Edited by Thecompton73 on June 24, 2022 9:40PM
  • Sir_Hammock
    Sir_Hammock
    ✭✭✭

This is true because they made changes to the armor passives and now they all scale per piece of that weight worn. So your not locked into 5/2 or 5/1/1 and many people now wear 4/2/1 or 4/3. The active abilities such as Shuffle from the armor skill lines still require 5 of that type be worn to use though.

That's awesome to hear. Was always a bit bored that most mag were usually forced into light and stam either medium or heavy.
  • Sir_Hammock
    Sir_Hammock
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, both meta. WB.

Whether you're a stam or mag DK, you probably want to run Molten Whip and Flames of Oblivion, like I said. In terms of stam DK sets, I'll give you two options:

Option 1: Oakensoul, Bloodspawn, Plaguebreak, 3x Potentates, 1x Trainee, Decisive DW swords
    Option 2: Sea Serpent, Ironblood back bar, Plaguebreak front bar, Bloodspawn, 1x Trainee

I don't play these, but those are said to be two of the most broken options. Plaguebreak for the AOE potential and as a counter to templars (and wardens) purging your DOTs.

For stamsorc you probably want to be running Crystal Weapon, Overload, Haunting Curse and a bow. I say stamsorc, but everything is hybrid. Oakensoul, Savage Werewolf (which is said to be broken in some way I don't fully understand), 3x Endurance, 1x Trainee, some monster set, maybe Engine Guardian. I'm not sure whether Oakensoul is best on stamsorc to be honest. The class arguably has healing issues, especially in a 1-bar Oakensoul build. Even though health-regen is now halved by Battle Spirit, you can somewhat counter this by choosing Strategic Reserve CP, which synergises with Overload, as you can keep your ultimate level high. Running 3x Endurance plays into that theme.

If you want to try something really cheesy with your DK: Flame staff heavy attack build. Molten Armaments. Empower from Mage's Guild. Corrosive Armor. Oakensoul. Sergeant's Mail. Storm Master or maybe try Archer's Mind. Vampire stage 4. Sprint for 3 seconds and go invisible after a gank.

Thanks for the tips! Even the cheese build, they are always fun to do sometimes, who doesn't love playing a bomber killing 20 players during midyear mayhem!
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

High heals ... yes. For example stacking Vigor and Regen from resto staff is now possible. On the other hand, if you're an Oakensoul DK, you can make do with running around in Corrosive most of the time (or so I'm told). You'll want to look into Minor Heroism potions in addition to the above to make that happen. Still, you'll need Coagulating Blood for a burst heal and you may choose to heal from Shattering Rocks or Burning Embers. Oops. That's mag DK.

DK DOTs are still good. Other DOT skills tend to be weak. Poisons and some proc set DOTs can be strong.

For stam DK you might try running around with a Master's 2H weapon, Plaguebreak, Occult Overload CP and take out zergs in one or two swings:

Fred,
    He gets ~200 Ulti instantly after wiping the blob in the first clip -- how does he do that?? He did it twice in a row. Its not a DK passive. Is it some new set?
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The meta:
    Oakensoul and restoration staff back bar on every build
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a passive in assault/support. Everybody should have it, you gain like 10 ulti per person you kill.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »

Fred,
    He gets ~200 Ulti instantly after wiping the blob in the first clip -- how does he do that?? He did it twice in a row. Its not a DK passive. Is it some new set?

It's combat frenzy passive, you get 20 ultimate per kill. He killed 9 people, he got 180 ultimate, plus his bloodspawn proc'd which gave him an additional 13 ultimate
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, both meta. WB.

Regarding Savage Werewolf: the set proc has a 1sec CD while light attacks can be applied per 0.7sec. It's possible to doublestack it on your target.
    Edited by Aces-High-82 on June 25, 2022 5:40AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hahaha, both meta. WB.

Regarding Savage Werewolf: the set proc has a 1sec CD while light attacks can be applied per 0.7sec. It's possible to doublestack it on your target.
    And the only spec that might naturally do two light attacks in a row is stamsorc with Crystal Weapon. Got it. Incidentally that would also proc Kena, but a friend who I trust still didn't like Kena on that spec.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, if you're coming back after two years you have a lot of theory crafting you can do if you're in to that, there's a lot of fun to be had.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, both meta. WB.

And the only spec that might naturally do two light attacks in a row is stamsorc with Crystal Weapon. Got it. Incidentally that would also proc Kena, but a friend who I trust still didn't like Kena on that spec.

Honestly it's better to run a 2nd set and a pen monster piece. To enhance crystal and overload I'd suggest Undaunted Infiltrator/Unweaver for stam/mag sorc.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely sorcs running savage werewolf and spamming crystal weapon: it requires 2 fingers!!!
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on June 25, 2022 9:30AM
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think of the most broken think that only needs 1 bar, slap oakensoul on it, done, theres youre meta pvp build for the next half a year until sales of the new expansion settle down and ZOS decides to nerf oakensoul or disable it in PvP environments.
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
    Better cyro performance when?
    Farmed about 3 GO's worth of AP
    world 3rd immortal redeemer (22.02.18) and other not noteworthy trifectas
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX69 wrote: »
    Think of the most broken think that only needs 1 bar, slap oakensoul on it, done, theres youre meta pvp build for the next half a year until sales of the new expansion settle down and ZOS decides to nerf oakensoul or disable it in PvP environments.

at the moment sorcs are the easy entry level meta option with or without brokensoul. If you don't want to buy High Isle go sorcs and get an easy life. In the meantime you'll get the flavour of what class and gear you really fancy playing again