Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

7AM EST =/= 6AM EST

LOVE
LOVE
✭✭✭✭
My guildmates are pretty pissed. They got on only to realize our rival guilds stole their age-old names. :/

Something they speculated every beta session and even addressed (as in making the USER ID actually the only unique part of ESO while names are as unique until you cross paths with other similar names).

They'll live...but they are pretty heated over it.
Yes, EDT is not EST.
Edited by LOVE on March 30, 2014 11:08AM
[ @LOVE ]
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    We woke up at six, logged in to patch, and was like... whoa, I'm in! And then we skipped breakfast to make characters before we lost our names! Yikes, starting the day quicker than intended, heheh.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    /agree not only one !

CURSE YOU DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on March 30, 2014 10:40AM
    Indeed it is so...
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they said "EDT", and we are in EDT, so no clue what happened there on their end, heheh.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ShinChuck Your right i just reviewed the post:

What day and time will the servers open for the 5-day Early Access?

A: The ESO North American and European megaservers open at 7:00 AM EDT, Sunday March 30th.

Time Conversions:

North America (East): 7:00 AM EDT, Sunday March 30th

UK/IE: 12:00 PM WEST, Sunday March 30th

Central Europe: 1:00 PM CEST, Sunday March 30th

Sydney, Australia: 10:00 PM AEDT, Sunday March 30th

Singapore: 7:00 PM SGT, Sunday March 30th
    Indeed it is so...
  • LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.
    While I'm mildly disappointed over the loss of my common names. I can find pass in having slightly irregular (but similar) ones. Same UserID, but slightly different character names due to those sneaky no-customization stealer. x)

My guildmates will live, I'll still call them by their old names even if the role-playing has lost them. -.-
    [ @LOVE ]
  • Bunk
    Bunk
    ✭✭✭
    muh names
    idiot
  • LoreRunner
    LoreRunner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, most of us realized that ZOS has opened the Beta servers up up to 1 hour before the official launch and therefore have been sitting around waiting to pounce.

That said, I still lost my name because I spent too much time trying to make myself look pretty :(.
    If you like my thoughts, feed my addiction! Give me forum credit! :)
  • LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭
    LoreRunner wrote: »
    That said, I still lost my name because I spent too much time trying to make myself look pretty :(.

Yeah...you and me both. x)

[ @LOVE ]
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm actually pissed at this. I set my alarm for 6:30 so I'd be up and ready to go at 7.

Do they have people who don't know what EDT is? This 6 AM start is EST but we aren't on EST anymore.

I'm pissed.
    Edited by Holycannoli on March 30, 2014 11:14AM
  • LoreRunner
    LoreRunner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Holycannoli Can you say for 100% certain they opened at 6AM? Or are you just assuming that since it was open before 7 that it was 6?
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh, most of us realized that ZOS has opened the Beta servers up up to 1 hour before the official launch and therefore have been sitting around waiting to pounce.

Strategy here is to 1. Make char 2. Make another char cause ur ingame items might delete if u delete only char 3. use a third char to get all ur settings right... take screenshots so on so forth 4. delete name char and hurry hurry.

If your skilled enough you should be "okay" Indeeeeed....

Indeed it is so...
  • RazorRex
    RazorRex
    ✭✭
    I'm curious what names you all had stolen from you? All my character names that I've used since UO were available. And if you were going for Legolas or Aragorn or so, you could always do something like Leglesss or Lego'las if you were wanting such a common name?
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
  • LoreRunner
    LoreRunner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheGrandAlliance I just came prepared with 8 different char names for my possible first char as well as variations of each that I would find acceptable. that way even though they stole my 'first choice' I had many other options to choose from.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another thing... try the other megaserver. US/EUROZONE seperate. Its a bit of a hastle to get both clients but if you know how u can try.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Holycannoli Can you say for 100% certain they opened at 6AM? Or are you just assuming that since it was open before 7 that it was 6?

Well...
    ShinChuck wrote: »
    We woke up at six, logged in to patch, and was like... whoa, I'm in! And then we skipped breakfast to make characters before we lost our names! Yikes, starting the day quicker than intended, heheh.

I tried logging in a few minutes before 7 just to see and it worked and it made me suspicious so I came to the forum and saw it was open at 6.

6 AM would have been correct if we were in EST and not EDT, so someone screwed up royally. An entire hour when people were preparing to wake up early to try to secure the names they want, because someone didn't know the difference between EST and EDT.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TheGrandAlliance I just came prepared with 8 different char names for my possible first char as well as variations of each that I would find acceptable. that way even though they stole my 'first choice' I had many other options to choose from.

Yea me too. I got something but number 1 choice was taken.

...it is also possible that some names are blocked out too but IDK...

O yea try adding the character name to your friends list... Ur rival of DOOM is most likely online. I guess you could always try begging.... :smiley:
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on March 30, 2014 11:22AM
    Indeed it is so...
  • BTOG46
    BTOG46
    ✭✭

The big clue for me was when the temporary forum on the Bethesda boards vanished an hour before the official opening time.

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually pissed at this. I set my alarm for 6:30 so I'd be up and ready to go at 7.

Do they have people who don't know what EDT is? This 6 AM start is EST but we aren't on EST anymore.

I'm pissed.

LOL This is exactly what I did!

I was like, "I'm just gonna get some juice then maybe watch Brooklyn 99 then log in...buuuut mayyyybe" and sonuva.. I was able to log in the forums (nothing there) Then logged in the game.

And lost my name..

• LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭
    RazorRex wrote: »
    I'm curious what names you all had stolen from you? All my character names that I've used since UO were available. And if you were going for Legolas or Aragorn or so, you could always do something like Leglesss or Lego'las if you were wanting such a common name?

Mine are pretty common, but in the sense of consistency.

If you must know:
    I preferred "Love" the most in-game as all my most active characters since Arena and Daggerfall were that. Obviously so common that it was taken, despite my prolonged time during beta with it.

Doesn't stop just there...after I made my character all pretty, I go to seal the deal with my preferred name and died a little inside. Shrugged it off, wiped a single tear, and proceeded to try my other names from other MMOs...taken, obviously, from rival guilds. x)

Remaining positive, I went about and put (ugly) extra spaces in my names. Pleasing and easily readable, but I know that it's not really the same. Guess that's one of the downsides of an MMO. Let's hope whoever speed-created to name take pays a sub to make it worth my little tiny heartbreak. ;D

If you don't care: I only got 2/8 preferred (properly formatted) names.
    Edited by LOVE on March 30, 2014 11:36AM
    [ @LOVE ]
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day Light Saving Time Changed...
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah , i noticed something weird about all that , getting the names was far too easy , only lost one , and they are all well know names ...

But lucky i was trying 1 hour earlier.

Name i lost was: "Lina Inverse" , guess being 1/2 mins late was not good enough for this one heh. Still , im happy , got other great 8 names anyway.

And no , mine are not lore friendly, not that they are that bad in those terms anyway.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭

Yea me too. I got something but number 1 choice was taken.

...it is also possible that some names are blocked out too but IDK...

O yea try adding the character name to your friends list... Ur rival of DOOM is most likely online. I guess you could always try begging.... :smiley:

I'd like to believe ESO staff and the testing team probably got first dibs. But then again, I've been on other MMOs and never saw the exclusivity be a dev-team thing.

I also can understand famous characters from the TES lore being blocked, but maybe some kid really wanted to be M'aiq The Liar.

Still, it's 2014... pretty sure if millions of people can have the same name in Diablo 3 and potentially play together, any other game can to. Just a matter of making the effort (and creating a database with unique identifiers...maybe).

I've added the character name(s) to my list. All pleasantly offline (or just 100% ignoring my requests).

[ @LOVE ]
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hehe, if they did that, I could see a 500 member guild all named Ni!
  • sno4wy
    sno4wy
    My fiance and I set our alarms for 6:45 AM EDT and well, you know what happened from there. The plan was for us to claim each other's names without customization and take our time customizing. Ah well. Good plan, but didn't foresee the time mix-up. :'(
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah....I stayed up the entire night to morning waiting for 7 to come around...I just wanted one specific name and of course it was taken. Pretty bummed but whatever.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOVE wrote: »
    I'd like to believe ESO staff and the testing team probably got first dibs. But then again, I've been on other MMOs and never saw the exclusivity be a dev-team thing.

I also can understand famous characters from the TES lore being blocked, but maybe some kid really wanted to be M'aiq The Liar.

Still, it's 2014... pretty sure if millions of people can have the same name in Diablo 3 and potentially play together, any other game can to. Just a matter of making the effort (and creating a database with unique identifiers...maybe).

I've added the character name(s) to my list. All pleasantly offline (or just 100% ignoring my requests).

Well , in D3 your char name is pretty much irrelevant , and i meant it , all that matters in multiplayer is your acc name.

To a point others will only see that for an example.

I dont think most would like that system in a MMO :P. To begin with , what is the point of picking the name then?
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Alarra
    Alarra
    ✭✭✭
    I was pretty disappointed with it being up early too. I woke up for 7am EST, which already left me with 4 hours of sleep (would've pulled an all-nighter, except I'm reading at church today), only to find that it had already been up for an hour and that Alarra was already taken. I'm an active editor of the UESP wiki and one of the moderators on its forum, and Alarra is what I'm known well as. Very unhappy to see it already gone and I can only wonder if I'd have gotten it if the servers were up when they SAID they'd be. :/
    UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
    UESP forum/blog/Discord admin, wiki patroller, NA/PC Guild Advisor
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    I know everyone would prefer to have their desired names, but maybe (just maybe) the person who took the one you wanted deserves it as much as you :)

There's no way to make this fair, no one can tell who deserves more to have a certain name.
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • LOVE
    LOVE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well , in D3 your char name is pretty much irrelevant , and i meant it , all that matters in multiplayer is your acc name.

To a point others will only see that for an example.

I dont think most would like that system in a MMO :P. To begin with , what is the point of picking the name then?

Thing is, my MMO names are pretty off-the-wall and most people have names in MMOs that aren't common (well those who actually play MMOs).

ESO is weird, its both a TES fanbase and a MMO fanbase mix (imo). My guildmates lost their MMO names. I lost my MMO and TES names. I likely won't have that TES connection with TESO because my name is slightly different (lol).

Pretty sure you can have more than one "Jane Doe" in the world...why not in a virtual one? Why do they have to be forcefully "Jame Dough"? x)

I personally sent polite messages out to those who have my preferred names in the off chance they one day will say "I quit, here @LOVE, enjoy your lost love. Enjoy!" Sadly, all are afk, offline, or told me to "go die." O_O
    Edited by LOVE on March 30, 2014 12:02PM
    [ @LOVE ]
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well games like Defiance and Star Citizen (not out but still...) You have your log in name, account name (unique) and your handle (not unique)... so I suppose you can do that.. but they would need an entire database overhaul to accomplish that.