The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gear Management and Alts

Destai
Destai
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I was thinking about how I gear my toons and with 12 of them, it gets to be cumbersome. So general question of how much gear do you have and do you split it between your characters? Looking at Alcast, it seems like most builds, like Tank, use same or similar gear between class. Given I can only play one at a time, is there value in having gear for all toons? I'm rocking the crafted equivalents like Hunding's Rage and Julianos, while working towards the better-in-slot sets.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an altoholic with 18 characters, fully decked out in all gold every slot with a few specialty sets in between for specific characters, but for the bulk of it is crafted or overland.

My 6 Hybrid characters who used to be Tanks have Bahraha's Curse, Hist Whisperer, Stonekeeper's helm, and Baron Zaudrus shoulders. The 6 Stamina characters have Shacklebreakers, Heartland Conqueror, Swarm Mother helm, and Domihaus shoulders. The exceptions are all the Sorcerers use Maw of the Infernal helm and shoulders.

My 6 Magicka characters have a wider variety, the Templar has Molag Kena, Diamond's Victory, and Law of Julianos; the latter I'm hoping to replace with the new overland High Isle light set. Sorcerer has Maw of the Infernal, Necropotence, and Crafty Alfiq. Dragon Knight, Nightblade, and Necromancer have Ilambris, Diamond's Victory, 2pc Trainee, and 3pc Willpower; Nightblade has Valkyn Skoria instead of Ilambris. And the Warden has Iceheart, Diamond's Victory, and Frostbite.

I'm not concerned with being top tier, only functional for what content I can do solo with a companion by my side. Everything is upgraded to gold including Jewelry. The perks of having so many characters is getting 18 max rank Jewelry Writ boxes a day gives you a very high chance of getting Chromium Grains/Plating on your own.

Edit: Monster helm and shoulder, I stalk The Golden Cat every week and only gamble on the 1 key caches.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on June 22, 2022 3:28AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    each of my toons generally only has 1 gear setup for their build, sometimes to try out different setups i make alternate pieces for them to rotate through to find what works the best, but i usually decon things im not currently using or plan on using (yes even if that item is gold)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything on all 18 of my alts is reconstructed gear or crafted gear. So when/if I decide to switch an alts build, the only real cost to me is upgrade mats. But, all of my PVP alts are singularly focused on a specific build type or playstyle and class, so there are rarely changes being made to them unless something drastically happens balance wise.

Although, over the last year, I haven't spent too much time on my Alts as I was working through PVP achievements on my main. Once I hit Grand Overlord on my main, I'll get back to the alts.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Companion gear management is a problem since the companion wears the same gear regardless of which character you log into. It makes no sense to carry three sets of comp gear on each character IMO and is best to keep their gear in the bank so you can swap it. I have the banker for this.

The best solution would be for the comps to have their own gear bag and it would be best for it to be specific to them. When taking gear off them it goes directly into the bag and we can remove pieces from the bag when we want.

Until something like this happens managing their gear will continue to be a pain.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you do crafting writs (semi-)regularly, inventory management is hard without ESO+, e.g. the craft bag. Your bank space is also halved. So I guess my first question is: Do you have ESO+?

I currently have ESO+. Each of my 7 characters has between 1 and about 8 gear setups. I do not regularly pass gear between characters. I feel that would be too combersome. Neither do I find ZOS' armory station all that useful, except to switch between vamp and non-vamp or between PvP and PvE gear and CP setups. The Dressing Room addon remains far more useful and the Auto Category addon is indispensible to keep your inventory organised.

Although I may have multiple gear setups for one or the other category (PVP / PVE), the builds within each category often have a lot of gear overlap. Including consumables, ballistas and so on, my "empty" inventory varies from about 20 to 70 items. All characters are at the item limit (200).

My crafter stores some x50 PvP geodes, a mule carries many more. The housing chests almost exclusively contain non-tradeable purple and gold jewelry, e.g. the stuff that would be very expensive to recreate. I do not gold out body pieces. Everything else is relatively cheap to recraft or reconstruct, although Hakeijo is expensive.

I've been filling the stickerbook. Once you fully collect sets, you can try anything and get 25 crystals back out, if it doesn't work. Other than the expensive stuff mentioned above, I don't keep gear around for long. When I'm done with it, it gets deconstructed. That means I rely on a steady supply of gold mats from writs and of Hakeijo from IC activities. I sell Dreugh Wax and most Chromium, though. If you try a lot of builds, there's just no point golding that stuff out. It makes too little difference. Only try to get gold jewelry from the Cyro weekend vendor or trials from time to time.

It's relatively easy and cheap to fully collect all items from all overland sets, by buying whatever uncollected stuff is cheap (use Awesome Guild Store addon). Farming is one thing, but on demand shopping also takes time. I usually try to buy purple jewelry, everything else I reconstruct.

The bank is for writ stuff, e.g. pre-crafted writ consumables, more consumables, survey reports, writs, stackable housing items and miscellaneous stuff.

If you do not have ESO+, things get complicated. I tried that for a while. One alt became the chef and had all the provisioning ingredients. My crafter had style / trait materials. Basic materials were in the bank, so all alts could do writs. Almost every alt was designated for some purpose, using the bank as temporary storage. It was a pain.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All my dps have their own sets of gear as I try not to overlap the 5pc sets and it'd be a hassle to have to grab gear from another character just to dps. Sometimes I have to trade things around using a banker but that's for niche situations, like grabbing RoPO. Support-wise, I just main one (1 tank, 1 healer) and that one has all the gear for the most part for right now (I keep things I don't really need in a chest), but other support characters might need their own set of commonly used sets if I were to use them more.
    Edited by Soarora on June 23, 2022 3:09AM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a person prior having all 18 slots of fully geared characters I'd say it's not worth it and some major patch would make your efforts obsolete, if you're into the process of gearing up and have the time currently - yeah it's satisfying experience and makes for an easier character swaps but it's not permanent thing and can be a problem in a future. Also having tens of golder out useless gear sets you're attached to via their cost, effects etc. I'd rather have one of each and swap via bank and coffers nowadays going extra steps but if something changes I'd need just one decon session without much regrets couple patches later if item set still obsolete.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    If you do crafting writs (semi-)regularly, inventory management is hard without ESO+, e.g. the craft bag. Your bank space is also halved. So I guess my first question is: Do you have ESO+?

I currently have ESO+. Each of my 7 characters has between 1 and about 8 gear setups. I do not regularly pass gear between characters. I feel that would be too combersome. Neither do I find ZOS' armory station all that useful, except to switch between vamp and non-vamp or between PvP and PvE gear and CP setups. The Dressing Room addon remains far more useful and the Auto Category addon is indispensible to keep your inventory organised.

Although I may have multiple gear setups for one or the other category (PVP / PVE), the builds within each category often have a lot of gear overlap. Including consumables, ballistas and so on, my "empty" inventory varies from about 20 to 70 items. All characters are at the item limit (200).

My crafter stores some x50 PvP geodes, a mule carries many more. The housing chests almost exclusively contain non-tradeable purple and gold jewelry, e.g. the stuff that would be very expensive to recreate. I do not gold out body pieces. Everything else is relatively cheap to recraft or reconstruct, although Hakeijo is expensive.

I've been filling the stickerbook. Once you fully collect sets, you can try anything and get 25 crystals back out, if it doesn't work. Other than the expensive stuff mentioned above, I don't keep gear around for long. When I'm done with it, it gets deconstructed. That means I rely on a steady supply of gold mats from writs and of Hakeijo from IC activities. I sell Dreugh Wax and most Chromium, though. If you try a lot of builds, there's just no point golding that stuff out. It makes too little difference. Only try to get gold jewelry from the Cyro weekend vendor or trials from time to time.

It's relatively easy and cheap to fully collect all items from all overland sets, by buying whatever uncollected stuff is cheap (use Awesome Guild Store addon). Farming is one thing, but on demand shopping also takes time. I usually try to buy purple jewelry, everything else I reconstruct.

The bank is for writ stuff, e.g. pre-crafted writ consumables, more consumables, survey reports, writs, stackable housing items and miscellaneous stuff.

If you do not have ESO+, things get complicated. I tried that for a while. One alt became the chef and had all the provisioning ingredients. My crafter had style / trait materials. Basic materials were in the bank, so all alts could do writs. Almost every alt was designated for some purpose, using the bank as temporary storage. It was a pain.

I have ESO plus, full bank space and 12 toons with maxed inventory. For me, the problem just becomes ensuring that all gear is good quality and kept updated. I'm really just chewing on the idea of having one set per role so that way I don't have to keep track who's wearing what. That way the armory slot is just for CP/skills and that sort of thing, and pass armor between toons. I can see where it gets limited once you start really experimenting with builds.

The struggle for me is really light armor mats and jewelry, so when I craft something, I have to pace myself on improving it. I'm historically laxed on doing my surveys, which I'm starting to set aside from time on.

I like Armory, definitely one of the better QoL add-ons, especially with Mundus support now.
    As a person prior having all 18 slots of fully geared characters I'd say it's not worth it and some major patch would make your efforts obsolete, if you're into the process of gearing up and have the time currently - yeah it's satisfying experience and makes for an easier character swaps but it's not permanent thing and can be a problem in a future. Also having tens of golder out useless gear sets you're attached to via their cost, effects etc. I'd rather have one of each and swap via bank and coffers nowadays going extra steps but if something changes I'd need just one decon session without much regrets couple patches later if item set still obsolete.

That's it for sure. I think at best I could keep two sets for each role, one for my main and another for whatever alt I'm playing at that time.
    Edited by Destai on June 23, 2022 7:06PM