The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Myrron's Guide to ESO Blacksmithing

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can get improvement materials from refining, but I've never (yet) gotten a trait material.

I've gotten both from deconstructing.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ThomasII
    ThomasII
    It seems that I get more and better improvement materials when deconstructing with a higher level character. Has anyone else noticed this.
  • iitzTrizzy
    iitzTrizzy
    Soul Shriven
    Does metal extraction also have to do with refining ore? It says it does in the notes but I can't figure out the benefit. "Refining more powerful tempers from raw materials" does that mean steel ingots for iron ore? Or does it mean less ore needed to make an ingot?

Great guide by the way! I've boosted my blacksmithing to level 18 just from stealing iron weapons and armor from the fighters guild and random areas around daggerfall, then deconstructing them. When you steal these items they are equal to your player level. So my level 13 Breton is a level 18 blacksmith because of this. Tons of free ore and a decent way to make money.
  • Yaillen
    Yaillen
    iitzTrizzy wrote: »
    Does metal extraction also have to do with refining ore? It says it does in the notes but I can't figure out the benefit. "Refining more powerful tempers from raw materials" does that mean steel ingots for iron ore? Or does it mean less ore needed to make an ingot?

Tempers are the items needed to improve the quality of an item, from white to green to blue etc. I notice that with this talent every 20-30 iron ore results in a green temper and every 40-50 iron ore in a blue temper. But I'm only using this talent only a few days now.
  • stitchmh
    stitchmh
    ✭✭
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I have been HUNTING AND HUNTING for something like this!!
    WHY OH WHY THIS doesn't fall first in every search, this site or google, I don't know!!!

my story I'm hoping isn't unique:
    I foolishly ignored this craft being not interested and focused on two others as I started the game.
    Rose to V1 and found that weapons I FOUND were not keeping up with the challenges.
    Explored myself first, play style, skills slotted, and so forth.
    Finally starting trying to FULLY understand the weapons in the game and discovered how much I was missing.
    Needing to jump back to the beginning for knowledge and supplies was a bit irritating, but my fault. But simply could find a comprehensive source, that explains it like I'm 5....which I guess, I needed
    stitchmh
    ESO addict:)
  • Rybeara
    Rybeara
    Soul Shriven
    stitchmh wrote: »
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I have been HUNTING AND HUNTING for something like this!!
    WHY OH WHY THIS doesn't fall first in every search, this site or google, I don't know!!!

my story I'm hoping isn't unique:
    I foolishly ignored this craft being not interested and focused on two others as I started the game.
    Rose to V1 and found that weapons I FOUND were not keeping up with the challenges.
    Explored myself first, play style, skills slotted, and so forth.
    Finally starting trying to FULLY understand the weapons in the game and discovered how much I was missing.
    Needing to jump back to the beginning for knowledge and supplies was a bit irritating, but my fault. But simply could find a comprehensive source, that explains it like I'm 5....which I guess, I needed

Just steal gear and armor and deconstruct. Easier and goes fast as hell ;)
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rybeara wrote: »
    Just steal gear and armor and deconstruct. Easier and goes fast as hell ;)

Nope. This was stealth nerfed recently. Stolen items will still provide some materials in the deconstruction process, however the Inspiration gain is minuscule at best. You're better off just looting all armor and weapons while questing/grinding and just deconstructing everything that you don't plan to use for researching traits.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    Only the best blacksmithing guide out there, and well written. Didn't have a clue on why I should make higher quality weapons to deconstruct. Thank you Blacksmith guru!
  • Travestynox
    Travestynox
    ✭✭✭
    A big thanks for writing this guide! You managed to keep me hooked until the end, read it all!
  • Sajhorn
    Sajhorn
    Soul Shriven
    In order to craft set bonus armor and weapons do you have to research a piece specifically with that bonus to be able to craft it, and can it be anywhere or does it have to be at that set bonus crafting station? Thanks!
    Sajhorn of Stormwind, Protector of Snow, Warden of the North
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sajhorn wrote: »
    In order to craft set bonus armor and weapons do you have to research a piece specifically with that bonus to be able to craft it, and can it be anywhere or does it have to be at that set bonus crafting station? Thanks!
    Sets require that you have researched 3-9 traits for the piece you want to craft. if you want to craft an set with 5 traits requirement and only have four on helmet you can not craft helmet in that set.
    You have to be at the set crafting station to make the set.
    You also need to know the trait to craft it.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.