The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crit damage cap in pvp

RoxyPhoenix
RoxyPhoenix
✭✭✭✭
I searched the forums/Reddit/google etc and can't find a definitive answer, can anyone tell me if the crit damage cap works the same way in PVP as armor cap ?
What I mean is that in PVP environment ppl can go over the armor cap which sits at 50%/33k to compensate for the enemy penetration right?
So... if I go over the crit damage cap which sits at 125% will that compensate for the enemy crit resist ?
If my enemy has a basic 20% crit damage resist do I have to sit at 145% crit damage done to fully utilize the cap ?

Best Answer

• Ominer
    Ominer
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's how it works, crit damage cap i think is 125% but you can go above to compensate for enemy crit resist from rallying cry etc. You won't get any additional damage against enemies with lower crit resist though but will benefit against enemies with higher just like physical / spell resistance.
    Answer ✓
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that everyone has 20% base resist. So if you have unmodified crit damage of 150%, it is actually 130%. Rallying cry? 105%.

Cap is 225%, so against enemy with no resists you need +95%. Rallying Cry cap is almost unachievable.

Fun thing, Rallying Cry actually hits non-crit builds as hard as it hits full-on crit builds. Because unlike armour formula, which says that the more armor you get - the more damage you mitigate with each point (up until cap), this is reverse with crit damage, it actually has built-in diminishing returns.

105%/130% < 175%/200%, almost twice. Almost twice is the difference in crit chance crit build has vs normal build.

There is some math there.