The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nirnhoned

Bruccius
Bruccius
✭✭✭✭✭
Despite all its rarity, I've not heard a lot of positive talk about the Nirnhoned trait, in fact, I've heard that it's typically inferior to other traits... is it even worth the hassle of grinding for Potent/Fortified Nirncrux and researching the traits to get Nirnhoned gear?
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    some player-crafted sets require 9 traits researched to craft eg. twice-born star, dunno how useful nirnhorned trait itself is; you can buy the nirncrux on guild traders as well as crafted gear to research
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fortified Nirnhoned is rarely used. Potent Nirnhoned, though, is used on most end game builds. You see a lot of dual dagger builds with the main hand dagger being nirnhoned. Even a lot of magicka builds run that for the high crit and high weapon/spell damage. You can't restore magicka with daggers but with Bahsei set (more damage when magicka is low), most endgame players don't want to restore magicka, anyway.

Fortified nirnhoned does have one good use. Master writs. Master writs that require you to make a nirnhoned item treat all nirnhoned as highly valuable and reward a lot of writ vouchers. But players do not treat fortified nirncrux as valuable. So there is a disconnect where the master writs for nirnhoned armor pay a lot of writ vouchers for not a lot of cost in materials.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nirnhorned is a valid trait for one-bar Mag Sorc PvP because it increases both damage and Matriarch heals.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 21, 2022 5:52PM
    PC NA
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Fortified Nirnhoned is rarely used. Potent Nirnhoned, though, is used on most end game builds. You see a lot of dual dagger builds with the main hand dagger being nirnhoned. Even a lot of magicka builds run that for the high crit and high weapon/spell damage. You can't restore magicka with daggers but with Bahsei set (more damage when magicka is low), most endgame players don't want to restore magicka, anyway.

Fortified nirnhoned does have one good use. Master writs. Master writs that require you to make a nirnhoned item treat all nirnhoned as highly valuable and reward a lot of writ vouchers. But players do not treat fortified nirncrux as valuable. So there is a disconnect where the master writs for nirnhoned armor pay a lot of writ vouchers for not a lot of cost in materials.

I just wanted to clarify that it is the off-hand weapon with dual wield that has to be nirnohorned, because off a passive that gives +6% spell and weapon damage from the off-hand.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »

I just wanted to clarify that it is the off-hand weapon with dual wield that has to be nirnohorned, because off a passive that gives +6% spell and weapon damage from the off-hand.

This is incorrect. Nirnhoned on the main hand adds much more base weapon and spell damage (150-200ish, I don't remember and can't check in game).
    On the off hand, it only adds 6% of that amount. Other traits, like charged, sharpened, or precise, work as well on either hand.
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »

The main hand weapon does more damage than the off hand weapon. The 6% damage passive boosts the off-handed weapon's power, but it still ends up being less than the main hand. Therefore, you'll get the most benefit out of nirnhoned when it's on your main hand.
    Edited by Djennku on July 5, 2022 10:19PM
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!