Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 16, 18:00 UTC (2:00PM EDT) - 20:00 UTC (4:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667442

green air/fog at amenos

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
The ambient colour and light in High Isle looks wonderful, almost as good as in Summerset, but somehow the colours seems to be all messed up in Amenos due to a green fog or green air (i can't really understand). I'm not sure if it is supposed to look like this (and why) or if it's something messed up with my graphic card (I play on a laptop). Check the screenshots, that's how air look like at my end on Amenos, everywhere else it's ok.

xbnsm4icy32r.png

095yogg88ktp.png

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how the forest look at in the same laptop on Grahtwood. It's a 8 years old region and the light and colour looks way better. That's weird.

t5ijopj5nqp3.png

v90rilg0pxa5.png

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the look of Amenos to Grahtwood. A constant mist hanging in the air is a big part of rain forest aesthetic. This is how Valenwood should have looked like in my opinion. My guess is the green colour is from the time of day and the surrounding green reflecting in the tiny water droplets in the mist, as well as thin leaves dyeing the light that passes through them green - which you can see being present here to a much lesser extent.
    amazon-green-queen.jpg
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    I much prefer the look of Amenos to Grahtwood. A constant mist hanging in the air is a big part of rain forest aesthetic. This is how Valenwood should have looked like in my opinion. My guess is the green colour is from the time of day and the surrounding green reflecting in the tiny water droplets in the mist, as well as thin leaves dyeing the light that passes through them green - which you can see being present here to a much lesser extent.

Maybe it's a problem of my graphic card processing the mist, but it looks awful at my end. I already tried to change the gamma and other settings but it doesn't make it better, just make the other zones worse. In my game Amenos is permanently infested with a green fog. It' would be great if it was a transparent white fog like in the picture you show, but it's not. I understand that they are working with an old engine, but the light and colour was way better 8 years ago.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »

Maybe it's a problem of my graphic card processing the mist, but it looks awful at my end. I already tried to change the gamma and other settings but it doesn't make it better, just make the other zones worse. In my game Amenos is permanently infested with a green fog. It' would be great if it was a transparent white fog like in the picture you show, but it's not. I understand that they are working with an old engine, but the light and colour was way better 8 years ago.

Well, considering your image looks normal on my screen it very well might be an issue on your end, but your description seems to check out with what I am seeing so your PC is probably fine.
    The fog in the picture I chose is slightly green though, at least it looks like that to me with my settings, which is particularly obvious when compared to images from above where the surrounding green doesn't affect the colour of the mist as much and it's perfectly white. I found images on google where it's more green, like on Amenos, but I am not sure if they didn't just use a filter there as well. In the image I picked it's not nearly as green as Amenos though, which I think can be explained through to the other effects I've mentioned earlier.

Do keep in mind that ESO doesn't have highly advanced, ultra realistic ray tracing so their solution of adding a green filter might look a bit odd here and there, but it adds so much to the atmosphere in places where it does fit. I like it. To each their own I suppose.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do keep in mind that ESO doesn't have highly advanced, ultra realistic ray tracing so their solution of adding a green filter might look a bit odd here and there, but it adds so much to the atmosphere in places where it does fit. I like it. To each their own I suppose.

But the mist in Grahtwood was more realistic, technically more advanced. It's was white and transparent reacting with the colour behind it. In Amenos looks poor, it affects the colour behind it and not the inverse as supposed. Maybe there's a reason in the story, maybe the mist is supposed to be different, with poison, or something. If there's no reason, for me it just ruins the immersion.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed the green vibe of Amenos was to give us that sense of the forest being poisonously, menacingly alive, since it's supposed to be so dangerous and all. I noticed it but didn't find it weird, it just made me think of Selene's Web and the loading screen that reads, "Even by the standards of Malabal Tor, something is not right about the growth of the forest in this vicinity. It doesn't seem unhealthy - on the contrary, it seems vigorous, but in an unwholesome way." I thought the greenish fog conveyed a similar sense of dangerous lushness and vague toxicity, as though the air itself might be deadly even though in actual gameplay it isn't.
    PC NA, CP2200+. Character creation is the true endgame.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed the green vibe of Amenos was to give us that sense of the forest being poisonously, menacingly alive, since it's supposed to be so dangerous and all. I noticed it but didn't find it weird, it just made me think of Selene's Web and the loading screen that reads, "Even by the standards of Malabal Tor, something is not right about the growth of the forest in this vicinity. It doesn't seem unhealthy - on the contrary, it seems vigorous, but in an unwholesome way." I thought the greenish fog conveyed a similar sense of dangerous lushness and vague toxicity, as though the air itself might be deadly even though in actual gameplay it isn't.

That's a nice point of view. I really hope the reason is related to the story and physics concepts rather than futile aesthetics, like it's happening in many other new insipid games and movies.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, its meant to be for the jungle atmosphere. I actually quite liked it. Amenos was really quite good, imv.

Speaking of forests, Glemyos' glade is absolutely amazing. I'd love it if this was the standard for High Rock temperate forests and woodlands going forth. Its exactly how it should be. Another reason I hope they one day redo mainland High Rock.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love the ambiance the mist creates. Amenos look great.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP