The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ancient Anchor Berth - Can't Purchase?

Tenthirty2
Tenthirty2
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the new small starter flat inside the Ancient Anchor Inn.
I purchased it, or so I thought, with one of my newer characters who had not completed Felande's intro Housing "quest".
The game acted like the purchase happened, but on returning there it behaves as tho it's unowned yet?
Is this a known issue? I did search a bit and did not see anyone else talking about this, so I may have just done something wrong.

Other Thoughts:
No option to buy it furnished?
  • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
  • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)

Best Answers

• lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven
    I also had this issue and filed a ticket. This is the copypasta reply I got:
    "We understand you are contacting us regarding being unable to receive a free Inn from the Room to Spare quest?

Please be advised that due to the Achievements being account wide the Rooms To Spare quest can only be completed for a free house once per account.
    If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to us."

I didn't realize that this was changed when account wide achievements went into place and think it's pretty lame. :( It's also really confusing because you can still do the quest on new character (which is what I did) and at the end of the quest it tells you you own the room. The icon is also filled in white when I hover over the door, but it doesn't show up in my collections.

It doesn't make sense to have this be part of the account wide achievements when you used to be able to get a new inn room per character not per account. I feel like they should either:

A) Not have it be an account wide achievement but instead be a per character achievement (like some achievements currently are) and revert back to the old system for inn rooms, or

B) Not let you do the quest on other characters once you've already done it on one (since the dialog still says you get a new free room which is confusing), or

C) If you've already done the quest on your account and they can't bar it from other characters for some reason, change the quest dialog at the end. It would be nice if they gave you 3,000 gold at the end of the quest on other characters to buy the room (since you used to be able to get them for free with new characters). Or they could lower the cost of inn rooms to be basically free (like 500 gold or something). I'm a fairly new player and only got 2 free inn rooms when other players may have gotten 8 rooms or more. 21,000 gold (7 free inn rooms per each new character after the first, not considering if more slots were purchased) might not be a lot of gold to some but for new players it can be a good chunk.

Pretty bummed about this change and not thrilled about robot reply I got from tech support.

As an aside to your other question, to my knowledge you've never been able to buy inn rooms furnished.
    Answer ✓
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured how to get this property now.

* Hop on a character that has not done the quest "Room To Spare" from the crown store.

* Step number two, be in High Isle. If you are not in High Isle pretty sure it won't work. I grabbed the quest when I was in High Isle, that is when I was directed to speak to the lady outside the Ancient Anchor Inn room.

That's it, and I didn't have to pay any gold.
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
    Answer ✓
  • lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven
    boooo it changed my "B )" to an emoji; the second option is NOT the coolest one lol
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    lambdse wrote: »
    "We understand you are contacting us regarding being unable to receive a free Inn from the Room to Spare quest?

Please be advised that due to the Achievements being account wide the Rooms To Spare quest can only be completed for a free house once per account.
    If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to us."

This is either not correct, or my account is somehow bugged. I had claimed all the previous Inn Rooms for free via the quest, I had one character who had not done the quest and he was able to collect the Ancient Anchor Berth for free via the quest.

• Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TY for the reply!

I agree that does suck, that used to be a nice way to get starter homes\rooms.
    Feel like this should have been left as per-character, ah well. :)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven

This is either not correct, or my account is somehow bugged. I had claimed all the previous Inn Rooms for free via the quest, I had one character who had not done the quest and he was able to collect the Ancient Anchor Berth for free via the quest.

Have you done that since they started doing account wide achievements? Because according to their own tech support you can only do it once per account now.
  • lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven
    @ maximusrex45 does the room show up in your collections? Because I was able to do the quest and it said I got the room and the icon is filled in white over the door but the room is not in my collections and I can't fast travel to it.
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how exactly do we obtain this property?

Do we grab the quest on another character that hasn't done it?

For me the game is behaving like I have it. Except I don't. It's not in my collections and it doesn't have that different "owned property" icon. The NPC right outside (a lady) is all "I hope you enjoy your new home."

???
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven
    VDoom1 wrote: »
    So how exactly do we obtain this property?

Do we grab the quest on another character that hasn't done it?

For me the game is behaving like I have it. Except I don't. It's not in my collections and it doesn't have that different "owned property" icon. The NPC right outside (a lady) is all "I hope you enjoy your new home."

???

As far as I can tell, if you've done the Room to Spare quest at least one time before the only way you can get this room now is to buy it with gold. (Even though the quest still says you get it for free, you don't)
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get the room free on both XEU and XNA yesterday with alts that hadn’t already claimed a room. My characters used the housing poster in the town which flagged the NPC in the inn and they had the usual conversation about daedra worship before handing over the keys.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ maximusrex45 does the room show up in your collections? Because I was able to do the quest and it said I got the room and the icon is filled in white over the door but the room is not in my collections and I can't fast travel to it.

It is in my collections and I can travel to it. Maybe place a ticket if you haven't. Hope it gets resolved for you.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to get mine through the quest however I will note this is the first time I've done the quest since AwA.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • TylerDurden
    TylerDurden
    ✭✭✭
    I tried and it gave me maras kiss instead of anchor berth, was so weird.
  • dannv
    dannv
    ✭✭
    I have two accounts. Both have claimed free rooms in other zones. One could get this house no problem the other ha the same issue, do the quest and still not get the house. So it's definitely bugged.
  • lambdse
    lambdse
    Soul Shriven
    VDoom1 wrote: »
    I figured how to get this property now.

* Hop on a character that has not done the quest "Room To Spare" from the crown store.

* Step number two, be in High Isle. If you are not in High Isle pretty sure it won't work. I grabbed the quest when I was in High Isle, that is when I was directed to speak to the lady outside the Ancient Anchor Inn room.

That's it, and I didn't have to pay any gold.

This is exactly what I did, but I did not receive the room.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE!

OK I was able to get it, here's what worked for me.
    • On a new lowbie character, once I got to the level where it awards you the Anthology of Abodes Available for Acquisition, (lvl15? 17? somewhere around there) I went to High Isle for the first time on this character.
    • Once inside Gonfalon Bay Town I used the Anthology to start the room to spare quest.
    • After that I went to the Inn and spoke to Felande outside Ancient Anchor Berth.
    • That was it, it awarded me the flat.

Hopefully this works for others :)
  • SilverMoone
    SilverMoone
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same issue. I'd picked up the Spare Room quest from the Crown Store... wasted two of them on different characters only to find that the house still wasn't part of my housing collection. Then I saw the reply by VDoom1 and went on with another character, I made sure I picked up the quest in High Isle - the advert is stuck to the wall, as soon as you get in Gonfalen Bay check out all the quest markers until you see it. Once you've picked it up, you follow the marker which takes you to the Ancient Anchor Berth Inn, go upstairs to Felande who will have the quest marker over her head and wham, bam, thank you, ma'am, you have the new free room.

Just to confirm, I also have all the other free rooms, so the whole account-wide achievement comments given by the ESO advisor seems to be incorrect. The bug seems to be in using the spare room brochure from the Crown Store.
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eso+ you can purchase immediately
    Not eso+ the building is not available when you land at the first wYshrine or when you go to the city, it comes available after the wayshrine in the city is activated