The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

OAKENSOUL'S PETRIFIED OAK LOOP FARMING TIPS (MURKMIRE)

marius_buys
marius_buys
✭✭✭✭✭
Shared knowledge and experiences in farming for the Oakensoul lead in Murkmire

DO THE OAKENSOUL LEADS IN THIS ORDER (thank me later)
PETRIFIED OAK LOOP - picking & looting MURKMIRE STRONGBOXES & THIEVES TROVES
LARIMAR GEMS - from Titanclaw boss at Mudcrab Beach (south west) in STORMHAVEN
IGNEOUS INLAYS - from Volcanic Vents (Dolmens) in the HIGH ISLE
SACRED RESIN - from any monster(especially mudcrabs) in MALABAL TOR
STONE SHANK FRAME - Blacksmithing (ore) nodes in GLENUMBRA

PC/Mac Patch Notes v8.0.6
Antiquities
Doubled the drop rate for many Antiquity Leads found in safeboxes

CONFIRMED:
1 The Oakensoul Ring: Petrified Oak Loop drops from Strongboxes (safe boxes) and thieves troves in Murkmire
2 There are only about 20 ish strongboxes in Murkmire
3 Murkmire strongboxes have a variable re-spawn timer of between 5-40 minutes per strongbox
4 The Harvestmap addon shows the position of strongboxes with a thieves den icon
5 If you acquire the lead you can choose to leave the other loot in the strongbox (effectiveness undetermined)
6 Trolls have made photo-shopped pics of the lead from normal chests and containers
7 The zone is less busy during off peak & prime time
8 Players with high ping are not affected when they press E to interact with the box

UNCONFIRMED:
1 The lead only drops for the first person who opens the strongbox
2 It helps to turn off autoloot
3 Points in Legerdemain affects the drop chance
4 You can loot the lead as the second person who opens the box
5 Picking the strongbox is better than forcing the lock
6 Boxes "reset" in terms of chance the same way chests repopulate when you go through a door or reloadUI
7 If this is one of your first Oakensoul leads your drop chances are higher
8 Clear out your leads-list out or dig up any old leads. Make space to receive the Oakensoul lead. (by jcasini222ub17_ESO)
9 It is possible to "steal" the lead from another player providing you can see the content of the strongbox before the other player (may be ping related) (by RemoryAzure)
10 Hard to easy drop chances for OAKENSOUL RING LEADS because of spawn timers

OTHER OPTIONS:
1 We can petition (nicely ask) ZOS to shorten the re-spawntimers of the strongboxes (ty guys ZOS respond in kind, doubled the drop rate in sageboxes and intoduced another source of the lead, gg community, gg ZOS.

I literally dropped the lead the first time I opened my first strongbox via lock pick with autoloot turned off, legerdemain 20, dark and thieves dlc at 4, Ping 200 and with more than 8 players camping the box. it was my second Oakensoul lead and my fellow guildie who had been farming it for 7 hours almost cried when I let out a loud whoop as I got the notification. It took me at least 20 min before I managed to interact with the strongbox first. The other guildie logged off and on to "reset" the map and got his shortly afterwards as well. Thank the Eight!

Please share your experiences, thoughts, theories etc. Lets get some collective info going. I will add your relevant info to either the confirmed or unconfirmed lists above. I am hoping that by pooling our info new farmers will gain better a insight as to how to approach The Great Murkmire Farming Extravaganza!
Ps. Zone chat is an absolute hoot!

Cheers!
Marius

MEDIA

STRONGBOX LOCATIONS in Bright-throat village (thieves guild icon)
I strongly suggest just going during your servers quiet time and doing these 3 strongboxes
87ftk821c6iy.jpg

VIDEO by RichestGuyinEso
How to loot a strongbox via lockpick in Bright-throat village
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLWIwf-y8VE&t=12s

VIDEO by Misty Grue
It is possible to "steal" the lead from another player providing you can see the content of the strongbox before the other player (may be ping related) (by RemoryAzure)
" i did NOT open it. i just ran by, saw it, pressed F and stole the lead without getting loot coz its not mine. that guy pressed "take all", not me."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXX-Hf2FpNc&t=13s

Edited by marius_buys on April 14, 2023 9:33AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 It helps to turn off autoloot
    3 Points in Legerdemain affects the drop chance
    5 Picking the strongbox is better than forcing the lock
    7 If this is one of your first Oakensoul leads your drop chances are higher
    These sounds very unlikely as in not how other mystic works.
    But benefit of picking the lock is that forcing has an chance to fail.

This would be interesting to know.

One way to test this is the flowers in hollow city with an decent chance of dropping leads for the void abnormality.
    Have an group, turn off autoloot and only take one item from flower, have next pick the next.
    You want a group for more data points, its preferable in none who pick has the lead.

Still letting other loot will get them out of the way if they get the lead.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9) if you can only farm the lead during regular hours (i.e. you have a job), don't bother. The trolls will make it impossible for you by leaving the chest open and using auto loot among other things.

10) come back in 6 months when A) it is nerfed and useless and B ) drops from all containers in Mirkmire.
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on June 8, 2022 8:39AM
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Netflix and spam E is apparently the thing to do
  • RichestGuyinEso
    RichestGuyinEso
    ✭✭✭
    So hard to compete on these boxes?
    I rather do it solo like in vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLWIwf-y8VE&t=2s

Might be I just got to it yesterday exactly 3 minutes before the hoard came xD
    Its really a ***, dont know what they thought about it.. as somebody else said before, maybe its a social experiment!
    EU PC - Independent Trading Team (ITT) - Biggest Trading Alliance on server - great community and discord - join now!
    Just contact me ingame @RichestGuyinEso
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me this lead is just another example that ZOS doesn't communicate with players, doesn't know what is going on in their game or simply doesn't care about us.

After all those data they had from shadowfen kilt wars, they decide to do this?
    Safeboxes are even worse source to farm than the previous. Spawn longer, and there are less of them in the zone.

I really don't get it. There is no profit in it for them, just anger from their customers. Those players that will farm it will get angry, and those (like me) who feel like they have better things to do will also complain, because they just can forget about obtaining the mithic for couple of months (and I'm sure there is an incoming nerf). So yeah GJ ZOS.

Also,
    unconfirmed:
    I feel like diging out some active leads first usually gives a better chance of obtaining a new lead.

• eovogtb16_ESO
    eovogtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they dont learn from their past and its sad, such a good game.
    Edited by eovogtb16_ESO on June 8, 2022 10:37AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its really a ***, dont know what they thought about it.. as somebody else said before, maybe its a social experiment!
    Probably done on the PTS, and yes that is an very nice place to test out these theories.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% this will get nerfed as soon as High Isle sales drop off. Without a doubt. Cast iron, set in concrete definate.

And the nerf will be to the point that the item is next to useless, as is always the case with these things.

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tra_Lalan wrote: »
    For me this lead is just another example that ZOS doesn't communicate with players, doesn't know what is going on in their game or simply doesn't care about us.

Safeboxes are even worse source to farm than the previous. Spawn longer, and there are less of them in the zone.

I really don't get it. There is no profit in it for them, just anger from their customers. Those players that will farm it will get angry, and those (like me) who feel like they have better things to do will also complain, because they just can forget about obtaining the mithic for couple of months (and I'm sure there is an incoming nerf). So yeah GJ ZOS.

Also,
    unconfirmed:
    I feel like diging out some active leads first usually gives a better chance of obtaining a new lead.

Mythic leads are just there to increase the grind and pad out activity/play time, (usually in dead zones), to make the spreadsheet numbers look nice.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rowjoh wrote: »
    100% this will get nerfed as soon as High Isle sales drop off. Without a doubt. Cast iron, set in concrete definate.

And the nerf will be to the point that the item is next to useless, as is always the case with these things.

They changed the Ring of the Pale Order a bit, but it's still very nice for solo/duo playing, so I would say it depends on how niche Oakensoul ends up to be. ZOS absolutely loves to nerf stuff that everyone uses everywhere to "promote diversity", but niche stuff gets nerfed as a casualty from some other changes . At least that was my impression.
    Mythic leads are just there to increase the grind and pad out activity/play time, (usually in dead zones), to make the spreadsheet numbers look nice.

I can't express how much I hate the methods ZOS uses to forcibly increase playtime. Stupid drop rates, incomprehensible resets and cooldowns, artificial inconvenience of sources (ok, that one may be just negligence). All that when they could just make enjoyable repeatable content instead of those sickeningly boring dailies.
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea something I’ve found huge benefit to lead farming clearing out anything old. Dig up anything you have then make the this the first lead for oakensoul.

@zaria idk but it could matter a lot. Like for markyn I ran banished a bunch 1 and 2 Nadia. Switch characters to one who had been full clear leads for a week. Immediate drop from first archer group. Leave collect that lead then I went immediately to collect the markyn daily quest lead. First attempt.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still fighting myself in my head. Part of me wants this new mythic... really, really badly... But the other part is like: "What for ? You have a decent build that works."

I would like it to be easy or not dependent from other players (like if safe boxes were instanced, just like stealing from containers). But it is not. I think I am gonna wait a bit. The problem is that it may take "a while" till Murkmire will return to normal state. 3 or 6 months at best....

It sucks, because I actually bought new content and Oakensoul soul mythic is literally the only content I was looking forward to. What Is also bad is that I probably won't be touching PvP till I get it. Because if I don't use it, but I will fight some else who has it, I will be at a huge, huge disadvantage.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on June 8, 2022 1:59PM
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    UNCONFIRMED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXX-Hf2FpNc

to get the lead u need to interact with the box AFTER its 'owner' finishes lockpicking but BEFORE he starts looting it.
    no other ways and cheeses, 99% chance that once the owner sees the loot window, the box is flagged empty and noone can get the lead anymore.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNCONFIRMED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXX-Hf2FpNc

to get the lead u need to interact with the box AFTER its 'owner' finishes lockpicking but BEFORE he starts looting it.
    no other ways and cheeses, 99% chance that once the owner sees the loot window, the box is flagged empty and noone can get the lead anymore.
    You uses auto loot or pressed take all very fast, if you had not taken all I assume the next one would be able to take another item assuming the strongboxes work as chests or thief throves.
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    You uses auto loot or pressed take all very fast, if you had not taken all I assume the next one would be able to take another item assuming the strongboxes work as chests or thief throves.
    i wonder why are people posting something like this without even watching a video.
    without even reading the video title.
    and without even reading my previous post.
    are u sure that u should quote me instead of ur imagination?
    i dont have a clue what "autoloot" or "take all" u are talking about when its not even my safebox. i did NOT open it. i just ran by, saw it, pressed F and stole the lead without getting loot coz its not mine. that guy pressed "take all", not me.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set up macro to spam E-s every 1ms. Then sit back and watch Netflix. Then no one will beat you to unlock once it spawns.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Shadowfen farm got a lot less competitive after just 1 or two weeks, so I would enjoy other content for a bit if this is stressing anyone out.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Set up macro to spam E-s every 1ms. Then sit back and watch Netflix. Then no one will beat you to unlock once it spawns.

Might be the very reason why I spend 9 hours yesterday not being able to even click the chest before it disappeared.

I don't use macros but you are right about the netflix,

I'll watch a movie instead of playing the game. It don't sound like a good way to make players want to play during an update, but oh well!
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Shadowfen farm got a lot less competitive after just 1 or two weeks, so I would enjoy other content for a bit if this is stressing anyone out.

Murkmire only has like 20 safebox locations vs Shadowfen all the water plants + water nodes. Its gonna take way more than just week or 2 this time.
  • AarDoTaazokaan
    AarDoTaazokaan
    ✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »

You don't have to resort to cheating to do this on PC. You can map two of your unused Interact With Environment control keybindings to Mouse Scroll Up and Mouse Scroll Down. Then you can rapidly use your mouse's scroll wheel to accomplish the same thing legally. On console, I don't know what to recommend. FWIW, my experience was that I never saw the lead after searching about 50 already unlocked safeboxes. I got the lead the first time I was able to unlock the safebox myself. I picked the lock manually and did not try to force it. I still think it's a crappy design that is NOT fun and just fosters player resentment and trolling.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so assuming that leads drop easily at first then less on latter leads (unconfirmed)
    but this would be the order to get the leads in because of respawn timers

OAKENSOUL RING LEADS
    PETRIFIED OAK LOOP - stealing from MURKMIRE STRONGBOXES
    LARIMAR GEMS - from Titanclaw boss at Mudcrab Beach (south west) in STORMHAVEN
    IGNEOUS INLAYS - from Volcanic Vents (Dolmens) in the HIGH ISLE
    SACRED RESIN - from any monster(especially mudcrabs) in MALABAL TOR
    STONE SHANK FRAME - Blacksmithing (ore) nodes in GLENUMBRA
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Myles Richards says he got one from a thieves trove box
  • Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me this lead is just another example that ZOS doesn't (a) communicate with players, (b) doesn't know what is going on in their game or simply (c) doesn't care about us.

I vote "c".

• VenomSheru
    Soo Murkmire lead farm has turned into another Shadofen Water resource situation...
    gg Dr. Evil in charge of where to place the leads guy gg. (joke)

8 Players with high ping are not affected when they press E to interact with the box

Player with high ping cant even loot boxes forget about picking the lock lol
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VenomSheru wrote: »

Soo Murkmire lead farm has turned into another Shadofen Water resource situation...
    gg Dr. Evil in charge of where to place the leads guy gg. (joke)

Player with high ping cant even loot boxes forget about picking the lock lol

I play with 240-290 ping and outlooted other players, see the pic

k0c9l61fvz37.jpeg
    Edited by marius_buys on June 9, 2022 10:09AM
  • RichestGuyinEso
    RichestGuyinEso
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Probably done on the PTS, and yes that is an very nice place to test out these theories.

Actually not PTS, this was live :) Just found the lead a few minutes before all knew there is one to get lol
    EU PC - Independent Trading Team (ITT) - Biggest Trading Alliance on server - great community and discord - join now!
    Just contact me ingame @RichestGuyinEso
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also,
    unconfirmed:

Hard agree with your first part, its just a terrible drop location decision, again.

For your last part, yeah this has always been my experience with other mythics. The more leads I get, the faster the remaining ones come.
    So for me saving the more difficult leads for last works best.
    Kinda weird how it various so much between diff players.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Is the team still “chatting” about the mechanic they programmed into the game?
    Edited by The_Lex on June 9, 2022 2:18PM
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally hundreds of people worked on this, For months. do you remember every meal you eaten for the past several months?
    How about every meal everyone you know ate? Give them time.

And those of you who keep jabbing and spitting venom at the developers need to get some perspective. Your frustration is a 1st world problem. Take a chill pill and wait for it to sort out. [snip] Don't spread poison because you can't do a silly thing in a video game that's one option of many diversions you can take in your life which compared to 100+ years ago would be like that of a king.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 14, 2022 12:45PM
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess the alternative is slapping something together and calling it a patch…which, now that I say it out loud, seems more likely to be the case.