The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Passive dodge rate for ranged spells in PVP battlegrounds?

Caribou77
Caribou77
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know the official word/rule for passive dodge rate on ranged spells in PVP battlegrounds?

I ask because crystal frags on my magsorc are regularly passive-dodged 80-90% of the time. No exaggeration; I've logged them.

I am not talking about roll-dodging. Also, I have talked/whispered with players after a match to confirm that they are not wearing an armor set (like Meridia's Blessing) that increases passive dodge rate --- they are not. They usually chuckle and acknowledge that they noticed passively dodging a dozen of my frags.

I've noticed the passive dodge rate on ranged spells increases when there is lag, and other players have confirmed this as well.

Does anyone else have experience with/knowledge about this that they can share?

Thank you!

P.S.

I appreciate/understand that there are only so many issues the devs can address at one time; however, I would just like to know if this is acknowledged (passive dodge of ranged spells increases with server lag) so that I can stop playing ranged classes when lag is bad. Thank you for making an otherwise beautiful and dynamic game with lots of complexity (skills and sets) and potential!
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't notice my frags being passively dodged at all. Maybe because I play only no-cp campaign?

But I have issues with the active dodging's instead, the projectiles travel extremely slow which makes the dodge window very long. It is very frustrating to fight experienced players especially NBs, they will always outplay a magsorc especially in the current high mitigation meta.
  • Ipsius
    Ipsius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Passive dodge is no longer a thing (nightblade used to have a skill that provided some.)

What you are likely experiencing is an addon, which is a blight on PvP, that alerts users exactly when to dodge, even if attacked from stealth, and/or dodges for them automatically (among other utterly blatant exploits/"features.")

There is also a bit of time after a roll dodge where a player is running upright but will still dodge any attacks briefly.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Ipsius -- but I have confirmed with players I'm fighting against (in no-cp PVP -- battlegrounds) that they are in fact PASSIVELY dodging my frags. They have not dodge-rolled, nor are they wearing any sets that would offer this.

I have experienced it myself -- running away from combat, hear a spell coming, and your character does a funny little twist to the side to dodge the incoming projectile. And I did nothing actively initiate this.

I assure you -- passive dodge is a real thing.

I've read a number of posts about this (dating back to 2017) and there is no official DEV response to the rule for passive dodge in PVP. :(
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some footage would go a long way @Caribou77
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok I will figure out how to post some footage, though this same issue is shown (with footage) in past threads here.

if you play a lot of pvp you have to have noticed this?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive only ever seen dodges happen when a player dodge rolls since they gutted the skills that provided passive dodge chance

when i am using snipe i see people dodge roll to avoid it, but never passively dodging it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not aware of anything that gives passive dodge other than certain sets. Dodgeroll is the best tool against sorcs. The dodge window is much larger than most people realize. Every time you get cursed, tap dodgeroll and a few seconds later, a frag will fly over your head.

I wouldnt put a lot of faith in what you were told by randoms you were fighting. Also, you certainly dont see it every time your opponent dodge rolls when there is lag.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for your insight and feedback I appreciate it.

the other players were not randoms but people I know with lots of pvp experience. also, it has happened to me ocassionally: while running away from combat, my character does a funny little swerve (not a dodgeroll) and a projectile misses me, when I have not dodgerolled recently and I am not wearing any “dodge” armor sets. If you read earlier threads on this topic, you can see that many people have experienced exactly what I am describing, and many have never seen it happen. This may suggest that it is related to an individual’s server connection?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caribou77 wrote: »
    thanks for your insight and feedback I appreciate it.

the other players were not randoms but people I know with lots of pvp experience. also, it has happened to me ocassionally: while running away from combat, my character does a funny little swerve (not a dodgeroll) and a projectile misses me, when I have not dodgerolled recently and I am not wearing any “dodge” armor sets. If you read earlier threads on this topic, you can see that many people have experienced exactly what I am describing, and many have never seen it happen. This may suggest that it is related to an individual’s server connection?

that little swerve is the actual dodge animation when you dodge something, which can happen for around 1 second after you finish the dodge roll animation

since they removed all the passive dodge skills (most of these were changed to major evasion which is reduced dmg from aoe) i never see standing or running people dodge anything unless they did a dodge roll

my only guess is that you were getting a lot of lag and not actually seeing the dodge roll take place
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Necrotech, that sounds plausible.

I suspect the window after the dodgeroll is a lot longer than 1 second, maybe due to lag or server issues, because I commonly have multiple (4-7) crystal frags dodged consecutively after opponents dodgeroll in battlegrounds.

Honestly, I’ve just had to switch to builds that have good aoe options to be viable in pvp. I miss my ranged dps chars, but it was really pointless watching DODGE, DODGE, DODGE, DODGE…
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    One passive dodging is no longer a thing

Two addon that alert you in PVP when to dodge are classified as cheats because it allows you to dodge attacks you wouldn't have even seen coming otherwise (unfair advantage)

Three server lag is a real thing, the amount of time one see a LA land and you get basicaly instantly killed to see he casted 4 skills and proc set despite no animation playing on your side (and i am not talkign animation canceling, you litteraly sometime see 2 skill effect overlap on one animation)
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on June 14, 2022 9:06AM
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Foxtrot.

I can certainly confirm your observation about server lag eliminating skill animations and leading to "instant" death. There have also been times when an opponet is guarding a flag and as I'm attacking they just stand there, motionless while I unload 5 skills. So I assume they're suffering the same lag.

This game has so much potential. I love theorycrafting different armor sets & skill combos, and enjoy the graphics and character of the world, but the perpetual server problems in PVP make it unplayable most of the time. When your biggest challenge is server lag and not opponents' skills, it's time to move on.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is definitely something going on with "passive dodge" because I've seen it happen in Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds as well as in PVE recently. In Cyrodiil when trying to ranged attack a stationary player it says "dodged" but the player will still be standing still. In Battlegrounds I've tried to ranged attack a player with their back turned to me and it says "dodged" but they did not dodge roll. And just the other day I was soloing a world boss in High Isle, while I was focused on the boss some adds were attacking from behind when my character did the "side sway" aka "passive dodge" animation and it said "dodged" on my screen.

I don't know if people just haven't seen it or are trying to hide it kinda like saying "there's nothing to see here, look the other way". Similar to people saying "there are no cheaters in eso because it's impossible", and then zos makes an announcement that they just banned a bunch of cheaters...
    Edited by N00BxV1 on June 16, 2022 9:00PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it was the Evasion buff that used to provide a small, 20% or less, dodge chance but that was changed long ago to a buff that reduces AoE damage by a percentage.

Merida's Blessed Armor, that OP mentions, is the only source of a passive dodge chance I am aware of.

OP can always try testing it with players. It sounds like they have spoken to some that dodged their skills.