Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Revisiting ult cast time

Alchimiste1
Alchimiste1
✭✭✭✭✭
A simple question I would like to ask ZOS and the eso community.

Current we are in a patch where there are heavy attack gankers doing upwards of 20k from stealth; unhindered from the penalty of ult cast times. A patch where cross healing is so incredulously high that it's almost impossible to burst a small group of players.
Why is it then that we still have cast time on ults ? I think that removing the said cast time would actually help combat the high healing state we are in. Let me know if you agree or disagree.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should never have been added in the first place. I'd wager it also contributes to the skill delay one experiences when casting ults.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    A patch where cross healing is so incredulously high that it's almost impossible to burst a small group of players.
    Why is it then that we still have cast time on ults ? I think that removing the said cast time would actually help combat the high healing state we are in. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

The easiest way to fix a broken thing is to fix the broken thing, not buff something somewhere else.

So if the issue is cross healing, address the cross healing.

As others have suggested, the easiest way to do this is the cap the # of Radiating Regenerations that a given player can have on them, e.g. to 2. This will limit the extent of cross healing that we see now.

Whether or not ult cast times need to be removed is a very different conversation. And while I use Dawnbreaker of Smiting, I would not want the cast time removed, because that cast time allows counter play, for people with good enough reaction time.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    A patch where cross healing is so incredulously high that it's almost impossible to burst a small group of players.

The easiest way to fix a broken thing is to fix the broken thing, not buff something somewhere else.

So if the issue is cross healing, address the cross healing.

As others have suggested, the easiest way to do this is the cap the # of Radiating Regenerations that a given player can have on them, e.g. to 2. This will limit the extent of cross healing that we see now.

Whether or not ult cast times need to be removed is a very different conversation. And while I use Dawnbreaker of Smiting, I would not want the cast time removed, because that cast time allows counter play, for people with good enough reaction time.

the cross healing changes are something I have suggested for a long time.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with not having an ult cast time, it made the game so much more fun
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove cast time so I can roll and DBoS again. With dark convergence out there, maybe I will solo an entire faction stack.
  • baselesschart
    baselesschart
    ✭✭✭
    I am an advocate of no cast times on ultimates. There was a time when I could animation cancel incap into a spectral bow proc and it was a beautiful thing. Now thats gone lol.
    A fairly mediocre nightblade that occasionally kills people
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    so I have been looking into why I can ult outside cyro; inside apparently there is this thing called the ulti que you need an addon timer for...yeah i don't have it know but if my ults keep flaking..maybe...is this actually a thing?
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's so awful how it's not even possible to block/rollcast an ult anymore and doesn't hurt every class equally bad. Reacting to a templar ult will still take me a lot of dmg because the ult is undodgeable and the dot is undodgeable and unblockable. Reacting to an Incap will make the ult do nothing at all. This entire argument about counterplay is nonsense when you look how much uncounterable damage templar and dk have right now.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should at least give full stun/immobilize protection during cast time. The amount of times I was stunned mid Soul Shred morphs is just ridiculous.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reacting to a templar ult will still take me a lot of dmg because the ult is undodgeable and the dot is undodgeable and unblockable. Reacting to an Incap will make the ult do nothing at all. This entire argument about counterplay is nonsense
    This is a pretty good point about wide radius PbAoE ults like Crescent and Soul Tether, which will still usually land despite the cast time. Meanwhile, targeted ults like Incap and 2h Berserker Strike are nearly unusable outside of hitting an unaware target from stealth, same for the narrow conal AoE of Dawnbreaker, which already had a tendency to miss targets directly in front of your face even before the artificial lag was added. Specs that relied on Dawnbreaker as their primary damage ult (Warden, Sorc) have been hurt the most.

The most egregious counterplay issue in PvP remains dealing with mass heal stacking in a meta where most siege engines fire wet noodles and Defiles have been effectively deleted outside of one stationary siege AoE. Casual PvPers are still getting combo'd into oblivion day in and day out by mechanics they don't understand or don't know existed. You can even technically still heavy attack animation cancel Dawnbreaker into delayed burst against a slow enough target.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭

divnyi wrote: »
    They should at least give full stun/immobilize protection during cast time. The amount of times I was stunned mid Soul Shred morphs is just ridiculous.

Hyper armor on ults, million dollar idea @CEOofcombatineso