The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tamriel Trade Center no longer works... unless if you disable ad-blocker

• Dolgubon
    Dolgubon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think a Patreon with a tier 'server costs are paid for, ads get turned off' would be a good solution. It's monthly, like the server costs, it's more consistent, and it creates more transparency.
    Relthion: CP810 DK Tank - vMOL HM, vHOF HM, vAS HM, vCR +2
    Malorson: CP810 Mag Sorc - vMOL HM, vHOF, vAS HM

Addons:
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
    Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter
  • not_without_coffee
    not_without_coffee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do understand that running a website and a service like this costs money.
    I accept that a kind of monetization is necessary.

I don't mind adverts.

Tracking, fingerprint profiling and all this provide-your-personal-data-stuff and is absolute no-go for me.
    It is not about the adverts but about the data-sucking-stuff that comes with adverts.

That's why I use adblockers.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    Without TTC there are 2 alternatives.
    1. No AH, a lot of people who rely on it will quit.
    2. Official AH, so resellers will inflate prices to the moon, since ESO allows reselling.

i use arkadius trade tools for my pricing stuff in game, rarely use TTC at all unless im just want to mass-look at guild stores for a very specific item (again something i dont do often)

ive never really preferred how TTC tracks pricing data by using the LISTING prices instead of what items actually sell for when doing price checks, but it is a great method just to see all of the listings from all of the guilds when your trying to find a specific item
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    Without TTC there are 2 alternatives.
    1. No AH, a lot of people who rely on it will quit.
    2. Official AH, so resellers will inflate prices to the moon, since ESO allows reselling.

i use arkadius trade tools for my pricing stuff in game, rarely use TTC at all unless im just want to mass-look at guild stores for a very specific item (again something i dont do often)

ive never really preferred how TTC tracks pricing data by using the LISTING prices instead of what items actually sell for when doing price checks, but it is a great method just to see all of the listings from all of the guilds when your trying to find a specific item

I agree TTC isn't the only option, and maybe not the best option, for sellers but it's extremely useful for buyers. (And buyers are pretty important for sellers.)

The thing TTC does which no other addon does is offer a searchable list of the stock at all the guild traders, so instead of wasting time wandering around towns hoping you find the item/s you're looking for by pure chance you can go to the traders you know had them recently. It's not guaranteed the data will be up to date, but it still saves a huge amount of pointless searching.

When I couldn't get the website working recently I tried looking for 7 motifs without it. I went around several of the locations I normally go to (via TTC) to see if I could find them. After about 2 hours I had bought 1 motif and found the most expensive one listed for over 3 times what ATT and TTC told me it normally sells for.

When the site was working again I repeated the process and had all 6 of the remaining ones within about 30 minutes.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    My goodness. If you aren’t happy with someone providing a service, then don’t use it. Things aren’t free. They take money and time to setup and maintain. The entitlement from some in this thread is beyond ridiculous.

You're wrong... I can't speak for anyone else but for myself... I am happy that cyxui is providing a service to us.. I just don't like the notion of being forced to disable my adblocker that has been keeping my computer safe for years from viruses and malware. It's purely for security reasons why I refuse to disable my adblocker programs as I run multiple for extra layers of protection.

cyxui quit the game 4 years ago... My advice to him is to sell TTC and the website to someone who is active in the game and can continue to keep TTC alive in the community. Perhaps ZOS might buy it? Who knows. Did he ever contact ZOS asking if they're interested in purchasing TTC? After all, it's a popular addon that people use... with 2,806,660 Downloads (30,557 Monthly) according to esoui.com.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    My goodness. If you aren’t happy with someone providing a service, then don’t use it. Things aren’t free. They take money and time to setup and maintain. The entitlement from some in this thread is beyond ridiculous.

You're wrong... I can't speak for anyone else but for myself... I am happy that cyxui is providing a service to us.. I just don't like the notion of being forced to disable my adblocker that has been keeping my computer safe for years from viruses and malware. It's purely for security reasons why I refuse to disable my adblocker programs as I run multiple for extra layers of protection.

cyxui quit the game 4 years ago... My advice to him is to sell TTC and the website to someone who is active in the game and can continue to keep TTC alive in the community. Perhaps ZOS might buy it? Who knows. Did he ever contact ZOS asking if they're interested in purchasing TTC? After all, it's a popular addon that people use... with 2,806,660 Downloads (30,557 Monthly) according to esoui.com.

No, you're wrong. You have a choice to continue using his service or not. And moreover, you're telling the addon creator what to do with his creation. Again, if you are not satisfied with the current situation, then don't use it. You are not paying for it.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you're wrong. You have a choice to continue using his service or not. And moreover, you're telling the addon creator what to do with his creation. Again, if you are not satisfied with the current situation, then don't use it. You are not paying for it.

Telling someone what to do and making suggestive advice are two separate things... And no you're wrong, once again. if someone is not satisfied with the current situation.. you speak up rather than not use it...How can the creator improve or make adjustments if people don't speak up? The key is communication.
    Edited by RaikaNA on June 1, 2022 11:44PM
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that do not want to disable their ad blockers, there is the option to donate/subscribe to gain access to the site: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/Help/FAQ#ads-faq-body
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyx54tc wrote: »
    Alright it feels like I need to explain the situation here a bit. So I started TTC 7 years ago, built an addon + website for everyone to use for FREE. I have quit the game for more than 4 years already but I am still maintaining the site using lots of my free time.

The business model is simple. People uses the addon to collect data and the website's ad revenue will keep the whole project going. From day 1 I already knew people are using ad blockers and the percentage is not low. But I wanted to believe in people, I wanted to believe people will help the project they really love so I did not force ads for the past 7 years.

I have tried like 5 different banners to explain the situation and the need for Ad revenue to keep the project alive. But 7 years past and the result was pretty disappointing. Percentage of ad block users went up significantly and the number of people who donated was less than 0.02% of the entire user base.

The donation I have collected over the course of the past 7 years was just barely able to pay for 2 years of the server's cost. If everyone was using adblocker it will mean that I would have paid 5 figures out of my own pocket in additional to all the free time I have spend to maintain and develop this project.

Based on the growth rate of adblock users I will probably have to shutdown the entire project in about 2 years from now. So there are only 2 options before me if I do not want that to happen

1. Force ads on everyone and allow people to sub for ad free content
    2. I start selling the data by offering premium(paid) customers access to real time API when a cheap item is made available.

I do not like the level of P2W #2 brings even though it will probably yield me much higher revenue compared to #1

It was a hard decision but something has to be done. Prior to turning the anti-ad block wall on I further reduced the ad load (slider is lowered to about 20% mark) and made the change so that you will never see more than 2 ads on your screen (1 for smaller screen) and there are at most 3 ads per page (2 for small screen). Full page ads are set to about <1% chance of appearing. Regular users shouldn't see the full screen ad more than once per day.

So please. I am not asking for too much. Having some ads on your screen is not the end of world but no ads will be the end of TTC.

I can't believe you're telling people you considered paid VIP for first data rights.

There's no way that's not against TOS in some shape or form.
    I have characters that have classes.

I'm not sure what their names are.

Leader of Casual Filth, a proudly LGBT+ led and friendly social guild.
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The website is also forcing people to disable their anti-viruses and are being forced to opt-in to sharing their data with third party sites, with no option to opt-out.

This is a much bigger issue than ads.

I'm not mad. I'm disappointed.

I'd also really love to hear ZOS's take on this. Cause their stance on players selling data and using sites like this to harvest data can't be approval, right?
    Edited by SainguinKrist on June 2, 2022 1:42AM

• Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to say a lot but...

Just turn off the website. If ppl dont want to help u because "viruses from ads" then dont waste your time on them. U already did an amazing job and there is no point in forcing yourself when ppl are so greedy that they have problems with few adds.

Just to add i didnt had any problems with website. No pop up ads, nothing making it hard to search, nothing asking me for data. Everything worked as it should.
    Browser: Opera GX
    Ad blocker - build in
    Ads - unblocked
    Tracking scripts - blocked
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthtur wrote: »
    I wanted to say a lot but...

Just turn off the website. If ppl dont want to help u because "viruses from ads" then dont waste your time on them. U already did an amazing job and there is no point in forcing yourself when ppl are so greedy that they have problems with few adds.

Just to add i didnt had any problems with website. No pop up ads, nothing making it hard to search, nothing asking me for data. Everything worked as it should.
    Browser: Opera GX
    Ad blocker - build in
    Ads - unblocked
    Tracking scripts - blocked

Actually? Yes.

Shut off your website that's harvesting people's data and forcing them to shut off their anti-viruses.

I'm 1000% okay with this solution.

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that ZOS hasn't created their own version of TTC listings for player convenience is a little bit appalling to me.

Thank you @cyx54tc for your time, effort, and resources spent. You should not have to solve this problem for them.

Nevermind. I see how bad the ads are and I have zero respect for the TTC author anymore.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 2, 2022 5:47AM
    PC NA
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    The fact that ZOS hasn't created their own version of TTC listings for player convenience is a little bit appalling to me.

Thank you @cyx54tc for your time, effort, and resources spent. You should not have to solve this problem for them.

They don't have to. Nobody is forcing them to maintain TTC.

They quit ESO 4 years ago and I have a feeling TTC isn't hurting them as bad they keep trying to make it out to be.

Or else why would you spend 4 years of your own time/work/money to keep it going?

You wouldn't. Nobody would.

We're not getting the full story here and it's very apparent.

• RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright it feels like I need to explain the situation here a bit. So I started TTC 7 years ago, built an addon + website for everyone to use for FREE. I have quit the game for more than 4 years already but I am still maintaining the site using lots of my free time.

The business model is simple. People uses the addon to collect data and the website's ad revenue will keep the whole project going. From day 1 I already knew people are using ad blockers and the percentage is not low. But I wanted to believe in people, I wanted to believe people will help the project they really love so I did not force ads for the past 7 years.

I have tried like 5 different banners to explain the situation and the need for Ad revenue to keep the project alive. But 7 years past and the result was pretty disappointing. Percentage of ad block users went up significantly and the number of people who donated was less than 0.02% of the entire user base.

The donation I have collected over the course of the past 7 years was just barely able to pay for 2 years of the server's cost. If everyone was using adblocker it will mean that I would have paid 5 figures out of my own pocket in additional to all the free time I have spend to maintain and develop this project.

Based on the growth rate of adblock users I will probably have to shutdown the entire project in about 2 years from now. So there are only 2 options before me if I do not want that to happen

2. I start selling the data by offering premium(paid) customers access to real time API when a cheap item is made available.

I do not like the level of P2W #2 brings even though it will probably yield me much higher revenue compared to #1

It was a hard decision but something has to be done. Prior to turning the anti-ad block wall on I further reduced the ad load (slider is lowered to about 20% mark) and made the change so that you will never see more than 2 ads on your screen (1 for smaller screen) and there are at most 3 ads per page (2 for small screen). Full page ads are set to about <1% chance of appearing. Regular users shouldn't see the full screen ad more than once per day.

So please. I am not asking for too much. Having some ads on your screen is not the end of world but no ads will be the end of TTC.

I can't believe you're telling people you considered paid VIP for first data rights.

This screenshot was taken off of a content creator channel...
    d78shg938s82.png

I don't think ZOS would take kindly to people trying to profit off of their data... which is what TTC is using.. ZOS data.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Telling someone what to do and making suggestive advice are two separate things... And no you're wrong, once again. if someone is not satisfied with the current situation.. you speak up rather than not use it...How can the creator improve or make adjustments if people don't speak up? The key is communication.

At the end of the day, you are not paying for the content that this creator made. So why don't you quit using it? In fact, you could try to create your own database and service for everyone and pay for it yourself. This is not me telling you what to do. This is suggestive advice.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They quit ESO 4 years ago and I have a feeling TTC isn't hurting them as bad they keep trying to make it out to be.

Or else why would you spend 4 years of your own time/work/money to keep it going?

Implying someone is lying because you don't understand their sense of commitment is poor show mate.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At the end of the day, you are not paying for the content that this creator made. So why don't you quit using it? In fact, you could try to create your own database and service for everyone and pay for it yourself. This is not me telling you what to do. This is suggestive advice.

How many times are you going to tell me to stop using TTC because I refuse to disable my adblocker? I believe I specifically said that the site is no longer functional for me because I have to disable my adblocker.

Fun fact... NOT everyone is a programmer on this site so telling me that I should build my own TTC addon/website is thrown into the trash can LOL.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

d78shg938s82.png

I don't think ZOS would take kindly to people trying to profit off of their data... which is what TTC is using.. ZOS data.

They are not advertising on any ZoS service. The TTC website is not a ZoS website or service.

The data is fair use the same way that ESOsets website (run by Alcast BTW) or the ESO wiki uses game data. Oh and both those websites use ads as well.

It seems like you are picking on this particular site because you can't easily get the information you desire for free anymore.
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

d78shg938s82.png

They are not advertising on any ZoS service. The TTC website is not a ZoS website or service.

The data is fair use the same way that ESOsets website (run by Alcast BTW) or the ESO wiki uses game data. Oh and both those websites use ads as well.

It seems like you are picking on this particular site because you can't easily get the information you desire for free anymore.

No people are complaining because he's forced ads using intrusive scripts that are so over the top it's forcing some people to disable their anti-virus to use the website. It's also forcing people to opt in to a program that shares their data with third party websites and gives you no way to opt-out.

You can keep defending it and being blind to what is happening, but the rest of us see just fine.

If Alcast or any other information site is the using the same intrusive, over the top measures, then please say so. But they aren't.
    Edited by SainguinKrist on June 2, 2022 3:49AM

• SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Implying someone is lying because you don't understand their sense of commitment is poor show mate.

I question commitment when he's floating the idea of having people pay for VIP status to have access to early listing data.

His exact words btw.

Cause that's totally not unethical and a possible violation of the TOS?

He literally called it P2W. Nobody put those words in his mouth.

How do you not question the motives of someone putting out ideas like that?
    Edited by SainguinKrist on June 2, 2022 3:51AM

• SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to leave actual feedback for the site issues, here's the forum thread on ESOUI.

This is the only place where our opinions on these changes actually matter.

https://esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10196
    Edited by SainguinKrist on June 2, 2022 5:25AM

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's inappropriate to show ads with half naked girls and the title Uncensored Colorized Photos on an ESO community website.

They're trying to make money in the sleaziest way.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 2, 2022 5:56AM
    PC NA
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's inappropriate to show ads with half naked girls and the title Uncensored Colorized Photos on an ESO community website.

They're trying to make money in the sleaziest way.

I just did a triple check on Alcast, etc. To make sure they aren't running those ads. (since someone brought up their use of ads as a defense of TTC). Guess what?

And none of them are using ads like that. I also noticed a lack of pop ups, and a lack of the website forcing me to turn off my ad blocker.

So what's TTC's excuse for doing so?

• Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin might want to get a look at this and the recent developments...
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

d78shg938s82.png

I was pointing out the bottom part... the part where it says **Any venture that results in financial gain** I'm not picking on TTC or the creator.... The following sites you mention above don't force people to disable their adblockers.

In his exact quote " **2. I start selling the data by offering premium(paid) customers access to real time API when a cheap item is made available."**

I hope he has spoken to a lawyer about doing this first because ZOS may not like this idea.. especially considering that he's using ZOS content and materials for profit. that's just asking for a lawsuit... a lawsuit that ZOS will win for sure. Theirs certainly a fine line between **fair use**. Profiting off it is not a good idea.. especially when dealing with a big company that isn't being compensated.
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd really, really, really love a ZOS response to this.

Is this okay or not?

One of the biggest addon creators for ESO is currently floating the idea of allowing people to pay for earlier access to price data AND their website is already doing some very shady things in order to turn a profit.

Is this okay?

@ZOS_GinaBruno

• Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dolgubon wrote: »
    Personally, I think a Patreon with a tier 'server costs are paid for, ads get turned off' would be a good solution. It's monthly, like the server costs, it's more consistent, and it creates more transparency.

I also think this would be a good solution.

Personally, I am a bit skeptical that the site is really losing money. Many people would love to have the active user base that TTC has even if only a fraction are seeing ads. That is still a lot of ad revenue. There are people who play the SEO game all day long trying to get that kind of traffic. And, yes, they know a large portion will use adblockers, but the ones who do not are still worth playing that SEO game to get traffic. A Patreon would at least provide some transparency as to how many backers and how much money has been raised.

I administer a number of web sites, some commercial and some not. Yes, AWS fees can be a real pain for high traffic sites. But if the site uses ads and has no other costs to cover than server costs, I don't see there being a big problem with mismatch between ad revenue and server fees. Compare this to say, a local news site that also has to pay journalists and office fees.
    They can have a hard time covering costs with ads alone (and yet many still try). This situation is very different. On top of that, if this project were set up as open source/community-focused, it could possibly even get sponsorship from one of the (many) newer platforms like Supabase looking for unique ways to advertise and build good will.

Like anything on the Internet, we should not accept anyone's word at face value and instead do a common sense check. Think about content creators like Alcast. They most likely get a net income from their web sites after all expenses. And most of us think that is fine, I would guess. It's a passion project, but if creators can also make some money from it, great. But I would be very suspicious if Alcast suddenly said, you know, I am losing money providing this service, so now you have to disable your adblocker so that I get more income. It just doesn't add up to me.

EDIT:

Another idea for how to monetize that has worked really well on one of the sites that I manage is Amazon affiliate marketing. Some thing on every page that is like: Hey, have you seen this great new monitor on Amazon? Or this GPU deal? Or this new mic or streamdeck? Or this cool RGB mechanical keyboard? You have an audience very focused on gaming. It is perfect for Amazon affiliate marketing. You could do it without it being obnoxious (a lot of people might actually want to see this curated items) and without even having to use an ad network. Just setup a table of these items and show one on each page. Totally secure.
    Edited by Pevey on June 2, 2022 3:19PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the growth rate of adblock users I will probably have to shutdown the entire project in about 2 years from now.
    Community has voted, no TTC.
  • dud58
    dud58
    Soul Shriven
    Confirmed perfiction's comments "Firefox here, it works with uBlock Origin" so long as you update the filters.

I didn't mind their ads, I even clicked on one occasionally. What I really hate are the pop-ups. Now I block everything.
This discussion has been closed.