The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Account wide achievements make it hard for me to get motivated to play

FluffWit
FluffWit
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have a main, they've done every base game quest, almost every dlc quest, almost all pvp achievements etc etc. But by in large after 6 years I'm just over playing on them.

But hey, I'm an altoholic, always had fun making new toons.... until AWA became a thing. It took away so much. Just an example- I always enjoyed taking new toons to Cyrodiil, unlocking new titles and equipping me. Now it's like what's the point? Even my level 3s are grand overlords.

Another example- I've been slowly deleting toons lately (only slightly related to AWA), I logged on to one I haven't played in months a few days ago and the achievement for all patrolling horrors in the Imperial City popped up. I didn't feel like I'd achieved a damn thing. Because my main is the guy who worked for that. He must have been close. Then I log into some random burner toon and it turns out the one boss they zerged down on their one trip to the city happened to be the one my main hadn't gotten around to killing yet.

If there was some upside I could accept that loss of a sense of accomplishment. But there really isn't- the unlocks from the boring grindy stuff like lore books and excavation is still unlocked one character at a time.

And as a console player the supposed upside of this- better servers, has yet to be seen. I was lagging like hell just killing sheep on Kenarthis Roost today.

• Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    200.gif
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel exactly the same

I'm currently gaining all the lore books on my alts so any of them can use the new mythic when it arrives, but after that it'll be back to team trials and writs.
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. If the achievements are going to stay unlocked account wide, so too should everything else; skills, skyshards, all of them. If not, then the achievements should be per character as well, because with things being as they are at this present moment, it just looks and feels incomplete and inconsistent.
    Edited by Bobargus on May 25, 2022 12:44PM
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was poorly implemented.
    Could not even check where an alt was on guild quests which was annoying (think there's an addon for that for PC, but cba).
    There should have been a toggle for opt in per char, but oh well.
    Can only hope someone who cares enough to work the numbers and sort things out can ---
    i mean to see when the game was bringing in the most revenue and let it be that again!
    Probably a pipe dream...
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I like about AWA is that I don't necessarily need to do WBs or Dolmens again as they show up as completed when you get near them - unless that's a glitch that shouldn't be included. WBs take too long to solo, and Dolmens are way too noisy.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was lucky, as I never cared about achievements.

As an altoholic whenever I play through content, I mainly do so for the skillpoints. And I love 100% completing zones. However, I do not know what will happen when all my characters have all their craftingskills maxed(15/18 so far), as by then I will have to find a new motivation to move through zones. Although I have already planned to max the scrying/excavation skilllines on all characters after I am done with all the crafting skills. And I have planned to make atleast three armory builds for all of my characters. All that will probably take a few years still, after that who knows!

In the end I'll probably end up tanking on all my characters for fun. As I love tanking still. Maybe find or start a guild as well.

PS: Two other things I have noticed with AwA: 1: Barely anyone does world bosses anymore, which is bad, as some players need the help. 2: Most players now skip delve/public dungeon bosses completely, so you are more likely to engage them. Which is good.
    PPS: I never run ahead to gather skyshards/skillpoints. And I do not move ahead to other zones before completing the one I am in. So for me every next corner hides skillpoints still, and this keeps me motivated to play further.
    Edited by Sarannah on May 25, 2022 9:18AM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The approach I've taken in the light of this change that was both wrong in principle and poorly implemented in practice as well as being totally unrelated to any (as yet unseen) performance improvements is to drop my two original accounts including cancelling their subscriptions, effectively abandoning the 50+ characters across both PC EU and NA servers, and instead playing a single character (on PC EU with the prospect of starting one on PC NA later) on a new account. This way I am able to continue my enjoyment of the game without compromising character progression through an ill-conceived and badly implemented change to achievements.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is still much reason to be in cyro with alts, alliance ranks are still per character which is 50 skill pts per character

i still really like account wide achievements, made many achievements much less grindy but doesnt stop me from running the content with alt toons even if i have all the achievement from the area i am in
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same. But I fear it cannot be helped.
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't please everyone.
    To me it's all the way around. Finally I can play my light-RP characters and still have the achievements unlocked. As an example, I don't have to steal and kill innocent citizens on my main character anymore.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    I came back after taking time off to for a couple play throughs and PvP on Elden Ring. Checked out a couple other games til more High Isle info hit etc.

Came back, logged through some toons to update builds and what not.... lost all ambition.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game certainly took a replayability hit in my eyes,
    Unless it involves gaining a skill point/skyshard my alts aren't touching said content now.
    The game feels very hollow to me since AwA, or maybe it's always been, but the achievements masked it....
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i'm kinda the opposite. i feel more motivated than ever to play on my alt characters since now i'm not starting from scratch on a pointless achievement grind i already did on my main

will never understand why AWA was such a controversial change. now i feel motivated to play all of my characters and do different stuff on them: each character is working towards something unique that carries over across my whole account

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Exile on May 26, 2022 4:50PM
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    there is still much reason to be in cyro with alts, alliance ranks are still per character which is 50 skill pts per character

i still really like account wide achievements, made many achievements much less grindy but doesnt stop me from running the content with alt toons even if i have all the achievement from the area i am in

So wait, are alliance ranks per character or account wide? OP said they're account wide - "I always enjoyed taking new toons to Cyrodiil, unlocking new titles and equipping me. Now it's like what's the point? Even my level 3s are grand overlords."

I haven't checked personally but if that's an account wide achievement that's really dumb.
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So wait, are alliance ranks per character or account wide? OP said they're account wide - "I always enjoyed taking new toons to Cyrodiil, unlocking new titles and equipping me. Now it's like what's the point? Even my level 3s are grand overlords."

I haven't checked personally but if that's an account wide achievement that's really dumb.

The achievements are account wide, and the titles you get as an achievement reward are account wide. But the character's rank is per character (the alliance rank that you see in the character screen and in the PVP screen).
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭

My level 1 mule is Merciless.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ermiq wrote: »

The achievements are account wide, and the titles you get as an achievement reward are account wide. But the character's rank is per character (the alliance rank that you see in the character screen and in the PVP screen).

Oh ok that makes a bit more sense. Not sure I agree with giving the title to a character that's not actually a Grand Warlord but it's not game-breaking.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get where you're coming from, but let's go in a separate direction, What if CP were Character Bound instead of account bound? That would suck a whole heap. But yeah I get wanting to relive the dream on each character.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    i'm kinda the opposite. i feel more motivated than ever to play on my alt characters since now i'm not starting from scratch on a pointless achievement grind i already did on my main

will never understand why AWA was such a controversial change. now i feel motivated to play all of my characters and do different stuff on them: each character is working towards something unique that carries over across my whole account

also, small addendum because this is the stupidest argument against AWA i've ever seen. don't like that all your characters have access to your high end titles? then don't bloody use them. don't like that other players can use their high end titles on their lowbie characters? then that's more of a you problem than a game problem i'm sorry.

You may be happy with that complete contradiction, others are not.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh ok that makes a bit more sense. Not sure I agree with giving the title to a character that's not actually a Grand Warlord but it's not game-breaking.

even before AWA, i had 1 character get emperor and all of my toons were able to use the emperor costume (in fact the 1 toon i have using the emperor costume has almost never been in cyrodiil)

titles are nothing different than an unlockable costume to me, i could use emperor costume on any toon regardless if they had been emperor prior to AWA, so why not add titles to the costumes?
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from, but let's go in a separate direction, What if CP were Character Bound instead of account bound? That would suck a whole heap. But yeah I get wanting to relive the dream on each character.

I say this all the time. A freshly made character can equip all your CP immediately....... How did this pesent learn those from skipping or playing through the tutorial? I don't wanna hear people try to justify it is different from AWA because it's really not. You have the option to assign your CP or not just like you now have the option to equip your title or not.

Achievements are nothing but a tedious grind but should have never been to just 1 character because if the person that earned that title/achievement can do it once, they can do it again and again and again so why make people grind?

One thing I do agree with however is the ability for Ayers to play how they want, so it should have been an option in the settings you can turn on/off.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

also, small addendum because this is the stupidest argument against AWA i've ever seen. don't like that all your characters have access to your high end titles? then don't bloody use them. don't like that other players can use their high end titles on their lowbie characters? then that's more of a you problem than a game problem i'm sorry.

You may be unhappy with that needed consolidation; but others are not.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, but both groups could have been happy.

even before AWA, i had 1 character get emperor and all of my toons were able to use the emperor costume (in fact the 1 toon i have using the emperor costume has almost never been in cyrodiil)

titles are nothing different than an unlockable costume to me, i could use emperor costume on any toon regardless if they had been emperor prior to AWA, so why not add titles to the costumes?

Sure, but why stop there? Why not share motifs as well? Or mount speed? Books?
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If there is one thing I wish was Account Bound, it's Mages Guild Lore Books. Good lord that's a Slog and a Half
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah, it was me who did them, not characters.
  • dzugarueb17_ESO
    dzugarueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same. Apparently it is not allowed to mention I don't want to even login anymore, because that creates "bad mood" or something (even if it was constructive), and my prev post was nuked by a mod. So, all I can say and want to say is, yeah, Tamriel Once really bad.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but both groups could have been happy.

Sure, but why stop there? Why not share motifs as well? Or mount speed? Books?

motifs, furnishing recipes, and provisioning recipes having acct wide knowledge on those would certainly help tracking of those, instead of having to keep moving that stuff to my main instead of like outfit pages

motifs are like semi-acct wide, learning it on any toon still unlocks the outfit style acct wide for use at outfit station on any character
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish I was in the group that was happy.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

So why don't your characters share their xp, skill points and levels then, after all it was you who completed the quests, not them?
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

So why don't your characters share their xp, skill points and levels then, after all it was you who completed the quests, not them?

sharing skill points from quests and skyshards would be amazing, though its not going to happen since skyshards are monetized of course.

having the option to jump a character to level 50 if you've already reached 50 on a character would be a nice option, though i expect that again, it's something zos would rather monetize if they were ever to implement it
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe