The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Another possible solution for fake tanking issues 2

moleculardrugs
moleculardrugs
✭✭✭✭
I have been thinking about this for some time and imagine if we just had a simple tally system that recorded everyone's character's dungeon role and if the dungeon was successfully completed and how long it took:

So say I queued as Tank

Role: Tank
Dungeons Attempted: 79
Dungeons Completed: 69

Dungeons are then placed in Non-DLC or DLC and these scores are averaged but also reset weekly:

vVollenfell:
Times Attempted: 45
Times Completed: 39
Average time completed: 30 minutes
weekly or biweekly time: 35.6 minutes
Ready for dungeon? YES. Queue in.

vScaleCaller Peak:
Times Attempted: 12
Times Completed: 2
Average Time Completed: 2 hours, 34 minutes, 14 seconds
Weekly or Biweekly Time: 2 hours, 33 minutes, 13 seconds
Ready for dungeon? NO. Queue easier dungeon.

This way, a player has a personal checklist before starting the dungeon. If they do not meet that checklist, they go to an easier dungeon to tank/DPS/heal in.

——
this can also work for Healers and DPSers.

This way, we aren't limiting players by "HOW MUCH CAN YOU PARSE" or "WHY ARE YOU USING ICE STAFF AS TANK???" or "TEMPLAR WHY RADIANT AURA AND NOT RESTORING AURA?!"
but we filter players by their actual results time and time again?

so instead of penalizing players for playing, we allow entry once the player does it well enough. With enough time and practice, most people improve tremendously :p

If this idea is original, please name it: Clockwork Tinkerer :3
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the hamsters that run the servers would not be able to handle this kinda data for the player-base. However, its a cool idea that could be implemented on the ESO-Log side of things to scout out players that way.

I still really feel the ultimate fake tank solution is to change rewards, and change people's mind about what makes a tank (a shield? heavy armor? No!).

Successful DPS-Tank hybrids and Tank-Healers exist. The builds just need to be shared, learned and enjoyed by more people.
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• ZharaX
    ZharaX
    ✭✭✭
    This would actually not cost a thing in matter of comparison, the idea sounds intersting and could actually work, amount of times done would suffice, 1st timers could be bunched with <10 times and then it moves upwards ;)
    The picture on the wall is chaotic.
    I don't want to look at it, but when I do,
    I cannot speak because of the confusion in my head!
  • Militan1404
    Militan1404
    ✭✭✭
    But we are now avoiding the real issue «fake dps», dont know how many times i queued up to tank a dungeon and end up spending hours doing a 20min dungeon where the dds stands there doing heavy attacks and useless skills and enemys health bar dosent move at all. I take a fake tank over a fake dd every day in this game.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont think that a system like that would be inherently bad, but, I think it would need some tweaks, or safeguards.

When a dungeon DLC drops the only people that have done them were on the PTS. That only applies to PC, so consoles would be out. How would it determine if I was able to queue? There would be a pretty serious issue if ZOS released content that we paid for and didnt allow us to use the DF for.

From time to time groups running trifectas, or sometimes learning fights, will wipe purposely to practice a fight without needing to run the entire dungeon over again. Or even some of the side achievements where it becomes necessary to wipe, sometimes repeatedly, to achieve the goal. How would
    the suggested system sort that?
    Edited by Agenericname on May 24, 2022 6:49PM
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only real solution with the game being as it is would be to do away with all support roles as a requirement for dungeons and design them to be played by four damage dealers in all cases. I personally despise players who fake roles without prior consent, and those who rush dungeons with no communication while not waiting for the others, but the above mentioned behavior is to be expected when dealing with random selfish human beings.

ZOS could do things to change player behavior, like making the player designated as tank tend to be prioritized for aggro at all times, make incoming damage steadier and much harder to manage over time, and reducing self healing massively, to promote actual healers, but I believe that goes against the direction the developers are taking the game, which is significantly more solo oriented. This is fine with me, since I find playing with others to often be at a pace that I dislike - either way too slow, or way too rushed, less efficient than simply soloing it, and not particularly social anyway, as people often will not respond, and show no interest in even basic conversation.

Cooperative multiplayer is a wonderful thing when players are able to adventure with their friends, but often falls apart when dealing with disinterested strangers, especially if having multiple players performing specific roles adequately is a requirement for success at a task.