The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcerer silencing ultimate

Malyore
Malyore
✭✭✭
I'm curious, do any of you feel this needs a buff of some sort? I'll admit I haven't done much pvp, but being hit by this in pvp all I gotta do is roll out of it or take two steps in any direction and it's avoided. It's useful in tight areas I'm sure, but I don't see it being worth the 170 ultimate it costs. Does it nullify buffs once it hits a target? Or absorb incoming spells or something I'm unaware of??

As for the pve side, once again it doesn't feel like it's worth the 170 cost for what it does. The stun for massive groups is very nice, especially for soloing group areas and such. But the stun doesn't effect enemies with any lines to their healthbar, and it doesn't even seem to silence any sort of effect in pve. I feel it could use some minor tweaking. Either lower the cost so it becomes an ultimate that is specifically to throw at large groups, because as it is rn it costs the same as meteor and I think that ultimate is way better for group mobs in the first place. Or make it better at silencing in pve. Have it consume some projectiles or aoes, make it snare, make it do something that feels worthwhile using on an enemy or boss that won't be stunned. If you look at it from an unmorphed perspective, it is useless against special enemies. And I think that's a little unusual.

Unless, like I said, there's some ability to it I'm unaware of?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just know other players scramble out of it whether or not its friendly, can be frustrating when dropping the healing one and everyone bolts out of it.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its one of the most powerful ults ingame!
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »

Yes, versus anyone using magicka skills. Useless vs anyone using stamina skills, still a strong ultimate tho.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could certainly use some tweaks, but I do think it is in a good spot right now.

I think the only change I would do is to the damage morph version. Remove the damage over time effect and add in an upfront damage hit and an expiry damage hit. So that, the initial cast damages targets, and then if they don't leave or if they enter during the duration and are in the negate when it ends, it does another hit of damage.

Because right now, unless you get really lucky, that damage over time effect is pretty much worthless because people just leave the effect. And for a skill that is kind of meant to be an area denial skill with the magicka suppression, punishing those hit by it and those still in it makes more sense than missing most of the dot damage when people leave.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it needs a buff, but imho ZOS could do something similar as they did with Turn Evil. They added fear CC to a non-class skill line. The result is that every one can use a CC that counters block.

Since CC is also very powerful, but unlike fear CC - it is very situational. It is a perfect counter to ball groups, but if there aren't any Sorcs around - then you can do nothing about heal & purge spamming.

I think that there aren't many sources of silence CC in the game.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would use that Ult purely for leveling a Skill Line while leveling up. Storm Atronach is just too good not to use though
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    I just know other players scramble out of it whether or not its friendly, can be frustrating when dropping the healing one and everyone bolts out of it.
    Mhm for sure, I can see how it'd be beneficial to make a healing one have a noticable design difference.
    sinnereso wrote: »
    Why?
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    I would use that Ult purely for leveling a Skill Line while leveling up. Storm Atronach is just too good not to use though
    I've heard storm atro is great for single target damage, but considering this is an aoe with a unique ability, I'm focused more on its practicality than damage. The dot morph it gets is already okay damage in my book, although I do agree that:
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I think the only change I would do is to the damage morph version. Remove the damage over time effect and add in an upfront damage hit and an expiry damage hit. So that, the initial cast damages targets, and then if they don't leave or if they enter during the duration and are in the negate when it ends, it does another hit of damage.
    I think that's a good idea honestly.

My biggest drive behind why I think it could use some tweaking is if you look at the entire ults options and morphs, its two constant features are a weak-mob stun, and silencing players if they happen to stay standing inside the little circle. To me I think since it's so...I dunno, particular? it could have a cheaper cost. Especially since it's the same cost as the high damaging and short stunning meteor. Have some incentive to use this one more often than before.
    If not a cheaper cost, then I think the silence should be more effective in pve. Make it do something to enemies it cannot stun. It feels silly to charge up your ultimate that is specifically for stunning and silencing, and using it on an enemy and they just keep casting out spells and ground dots and walk out as if nothing happened.
    And, maybe for pvp the silence can persist for 2 seconds after leaving the sphere?? I always feel bad for people who lay one down on me in an open field and I just hop out and keep doing my thing. Or make it kind of like ball of lightning, where every 2 seconds the sphere will "silence" a magic effect that makes contact with it. I think that one would even work well for PvE too.
    Edited by Malyore on May 24, 2022 4:00PM
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doors & corners
    Get the ball groups in doors & corners
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A buff for PvE sounds fine to me

In PvP - imagine throwing a bunch of cc & ultimate burst at an enemy group - and now imagine doing that along with an aoe they cannot do any magic skills/heals to counter the incoming burst. Then they negate your negate! - did you bring an extra negate? Don't let bad placement by your enemies dismiss the skill - if its placed right, the group it hits will be vulnerable and you might've stopped the healing long enough for the damage to finaly do its job.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    Good for ball groups in CYRO or IC but really rare in BG.
    Efficient only against mag skills.
    I never used that skill which is for me an utility ult for teamates, as a solo player no thanks.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as far as pvp goes, i do know negate has always been extremely important for small group pvp as it allows for incredibly powerful co-ordinated attacks on large groups.

as far as pve is concerned, i think the actual mechanics of the ult are fine: one morph provides nice healing, another provides a nice aoe dot, the big thing i would look into is allowing it to actually negate more magical effects and prevent enemies inside from using certain abilities.
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe