The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is it just me, or is Greymoor soulcrushingly bad?

winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
I just found myself for the first time since launch, skipping dialog while doing quests for the first time. I've spent far too much time and money in this game not to give it another chance in the future, but for now, i think i need a strong break.

While playing through the greymoor chapter (a bit late i know):
- I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to ever be convinced i was not in a video game. No other zones have ever pushed me back into my own head as much as greymoor has. There is nothing up and down to that was convincing of what the 3d world was trying to do.
- I don't know who any of the characters are. I don't know why i'm going on these massive dialog chains to the next step for absolutely nothing to these anonymous people. The fact the game is so easy and the rewards so meaningless really become killing blows when the story context of the game are zero. This is probably a direct observation about the writing, but lyris is the only thing that ties any random event in the story to the next.
- Blackreach isn't introduced at all.. zero, nothing, you just find yourself there and there's all this content. Pointless. Broke me sorry.

I get leaders of a company have at least a quarter of their job to inspire and keep the spirts of their team high, but someone should have been more honest about this.

Anyways. I'm not angry or anything, just a little bit shocked, and am off to take a fair break. I'm sure i'll be back in game :)
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was not a big fan of Greymoor, either. However, I really enjoyed Markarth/The Reach. Which is just the continuation of the Greymoor story but maybe because Markarth is a smaller zone, or maybe because it was the conclusion of story, it seemed tighter and more focused and easier to follow.

I think the "year long story" thing hurts the writing. It is like the writers feel compelled to have an excessive amount of exposition. I mean, you have these big Chapter zones and they are literally not allowed to give them an ending because it must be saved for the end of year DLC.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greymoor's opening was very slow because it spent a lot of time rehashing information that was already established during Q1 and the Prologue quest.

And the most compelling character who's driving the entire year-long story line was only teased, so that he could completely rock during the Q4 Markarth DLC. Don't ask me about the logic of paying cash for a Chapter that basically just hyped the Q4 DLC.
  • VesuviaBennet22
    VesuviaBennet22
    ✭✭✭
    I too loved Markarth more. It took me forever to get into Greymoor, and once I did it was alright. It took me the longest out of all the zones to 100% complete for the dye. The overland stuff was decent but I absolutely hated the cavernous underground area. I kept getting lost :p
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Greymoor but I can see it only really working if you've met the reoccuring characters beforehand and have played Skyrim.
    Edited by Soarora on July 22, 2022 5:06AM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hated Greymoor at launch, mostly because of the bugs and the story quality. The story had some good framework, but the delivery wasn't the best. The zone itself isn't bad though. I was impressed with Blackreach at first, and the rest of the zone has grown on me. Even some of the delves had good ambiance - like Shadowgreen. The Markarth DLC was also surprisingly good; the writing seemed more concise and though out.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as Blackreach not being "introduced at all," it's introduced during the prologue quest for Greymoor, so if you skip that prologue quest then you miss the introduction to Blackreach.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each their own. I found Skyrim DLC great, Markarth even better. It's one of my go-to zones I frequently visit. And the Blackreach is one of the best of all games.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree and seems like it's only getting worse at this point, imagine returning to Skyrim and feeling really good about it's writing and pace after hating this part of the game for 10y (just prefer older titles). Not a fan also of a strategy that chapter serves more as an intro to the q4 dlc now.