The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Block question

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
When I see a major attack coming I hit my right mouse button to block. But it seems my right mouse click is faster than my character reacts and sometimes gett knockback and dazed. Is it latency that does this?
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably, also it you're using a Wireless Mouse, I would probably plug it in for less latency
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks it is a wireless mouse.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure attack animations are always perfectly synced with when the attack happens. It can happen a fraction of a second earlier than you think. I find this also goes for your own finishing blows. Sometimes a fight is over, as evidenced by music and dialogue, a fraction before you see an enemy dying. For the most part: Watch out for white stripes emanating like an aura from the boss. That means a heavy attack is coming. Block a little bit earlier. Red stripes, on the other hand, mean you can (and should) bash them to stop whatever is coming and prevent it from happening. You may also interrupt them via certain skills, notably Crushing Shock, Venom Arrow and Toppling Charge.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes block is bugged, you see your char blocking but it's not. If you are on pc there is an addon called "Am I Blocking?" that tells you if you are really blocking or not
    PC-EU
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, guys.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    sometimes block is bugged, you see your char blocking but it's not. If you are on pc there is an addon called "Am I Blocking?" that tells you if you are really blocking or not

This. I didn't notice it for years until I began tanking. The main culprit for me is if I've bar-swapped very recently. I can swap weapons just as a heavy attack animation starts, immediately hold block and see my character bracing onscreen for some time. But I still take the knockback or the heavy damage.
  • Itoq
    Itoq
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    Probably, also it you're using a Wireless Mouse, I would probably plug it in for less latency

Maybe. But, USB receiver wireless mice are only likely to introduce 0-2ms of additional input latency. Which is not nothing but is very very small relative to, for example, our personal reaction time.
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Itoq wrote: »
    Mr_Stach wrote: »

Maybe. But, USB receiver wireless mice are only likely to introduce 0-2ms of additional input latency. Which is not nothing but is very very small relative to, for example, our personal reaction time.

The latency addition of a modern wireless mouse is so small it can be neglegted. What adds latency is the monitor and even more something like v-synch. But what is described here is imo a problem that is related to the server side. Blocking especially with lag (=latency from server) is and has ever been a problem. When you hold block and try to get an ability off its way harder tan without holding block, 3,4 or 5 button presses are usual with only litte lag. Sometimes block misses an attack and 1 goes through, thats kinda usual.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your stamina. It might be empty, therefore the block will fail.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b