The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Maelstrom Arena loot table is unreasonable

SirTraski
SirTraski
Soul Shriven
Why is it that Maelstrom Arena's regular set weapons only drop from the last boss, whereas Vateshran Hollows has a chance to drop all the pieces throughout the stages?

Like many other people have clearly stated their opinion about this matter and created posts etc, I do also think that it is completely unreasonable to expect people to run a single arena possibly hundreds of times in order to finish the sticker book - or even just to get the weapon they want. This change should've gone through a long time ago, and is not acceptable - especially when the counterpart arena has that already built in as a thing.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wait until the double drop events to farm. Makes it far quicker.
  • SirTraski
    SirTraski
    Soul Shriven
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I just wait until the double drop events to farm. Makes it far quicker.

The solution to wait a year to have a chance to get double drops doesn't address the problem at all.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maelstrom is also an oddball because it has 6 normal gear sets, which totals 72 weapons, which is far far more runs than you need to finish the actual arena weapons

vateshran only has 3 normal gear sets, but also drops a weapon from each final boss for each portal, which is a much better way to do that

DSA is kind of similar in that it doesnt drop any set weapons until the final boss either, but both maelstrom and DSA drop jewelry from the 2 arenas prior to the final one

ive been mostly using the normal maelstrom for "complete X arena" endeavors and im still missing about 37 items from there
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have got to be joking. Do you want the game to just give the best weapons in the game to you for no real effort????
    Until a couple of years ago the MA weapons only dropped on VET on the last boss.
    Also the drops are CURATED so you don't have to run the Arena many times at all to (only about 13) get all the weapons in your sticker book.
    Note that until recently there weren't CURATED drops and I know people who ran vMA 50 times (not exaggerating) to get the Inferno staff which is essential for any decent PVE dps build.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    You have got to be joking. Do you want the game to just give the best weapons in the game to you for no real effort????
    Until a couple of years ago the MA weapons only dropped on VET on the last boss.
    Also the drops are CURATED so you don't have to run the Arena many times at all to (only about 13) get all the weapons in your sticker book.
    Note that until recently there weren't CURATED drops and I know people who ran vMA 50 times (not exaggerating) to get the Inferno staff which is essential for any decent PVE dps build.

They are not talking about the literal Maelstrom weapons. They are talking about the other sets that drop all throughout Maelstrom, like Para Bellum and Permafrost, but only drop weapons on final boss. There are 6 of those sets so it ends up being 70 or 80 runs, much more than any similar content, and made even worse by the length of Maelstrom.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh! I didn't consider that because I've never seen anyone actually use those sets. Except for elemental succession a while ago. I always just decon everything.
  • nesmewno
    nesmewno
    ✭✭
    I almost completely collected sets from this arena even before the update from Loyal Drop.
    Almost collected full gold winterborn) Which I almost don't use)))
    But I have not collected more than one motive of weapons from there!

p.s.
    Weekly is easy to close top100 on warden or even better necromancer.
  • SirTraski
    SirTraski
    Soul Shriven
    M0ntie wrote: »

Yes, I was talking about the regular sets, like Winterborn etc.

And I also know the pain of farming vMA weapons, because the inferno staff was literally (both on PC EU/NA) the last item that dropped. And in both cases it took me about 50 runs to get it. AND, to make things worse - when the Perfected versions were added, the old weapons didn't get updated, as everyone at the time can painfully remember. Which is why I never bothered to farm Perfected on either servers again out of spite, as a protest and because it doesn't make significant increase to your DPS anyways.