Extremely ironic "History of the Systres" video

Vylaera
Vylaera
✭✭✭✭✭
Like my title says, the "History of the Systres" video that released this morning is extremely ironic in its depiction of the Abecean Sea.

So High Isle takes place on the Systres, of course. And Thras, according to ESO, is not the same as the Systres, settling the debate of whether or not Thras and the Systres were two different names for the home of the Sload.

Well.

In this video, in the very beginning, they have a map on the wall. This one.
unknown.png

Now, while I'm glad it's a better map than the one in game, more aligned with the canon shape of tamriel (in spite of this map's abundant flaws), it is a fan map, and the fan that made this was in the camp that the Systres = Thras.

This map in particular is what they used. Notice it says "Thras" where the Systres are supposed to be?
Rey3I2490KYOQ15MaFT365uL3HswE_PlJH1IA349OhA.png?auto=webp&s=6f6578c117443b0edf3bb7efd4510e2af83c13da

You can see the problem when this is a promotional video for a chapter that takes place in the Systres.

For reference, here's a map from TES Adventures: Redguard of the Eltheric Ocean and the Abecean Sea.
RG-map-West_Tamriel-1024x768.png

Notice how they're in the same spot?

What's more, later on in the video, they have the Systres in the right spot and Thras is nowhere to be found (that's Pankor northwest of the Systres).
unknown.png

I know I'm a map nerd but come on.
Vy • lae • ra
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bad at maps so I'm having trouble understanding the issue, tbh?
    Options
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I'm bad at maps so I'm having trouble understanding the issue, tbh?

Tldr in a video about the history of the systres they steal an error ridden fan made map that says the systres don't exist but then use the redguard map later in the video that does have the systres on it. Making the video inconsistent with itself and the lore it's trying to convey. Also another example that ZOS is bad at maps too.
    Vy • lae • ra
    Options
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never be able to understand how did u see that. Kinda funny situation.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The map you say is a fan-made map shows Thras where the Systres are supposed to be, so whether or not they "stole" a map that a fan made by-- ahem-- "borrowing" from other maps that Bethesda made, the point is that the map you seem to be having an issue with does indeed show the Systres where they're (it's?) supposed to be, according to that other map which is from Bethesda.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on May 17, 2022 3:12AM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't that mostly indicate that the fan map incorrectly labeled the Systres as Thras?
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Wouldn't that mostly indicate that the fan map incorrectly labeled the Systres as Thras?

and that ZOS ripped this fan map which labeled the Systres as Thras in their lore Promotional video for High Isle which is one of the Systres
    Vy • lae • ra
    Options
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, reminds me of the promotional picture for Greymoor before they edited the ski-lift out.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
    Options