The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Animation Cancelling with a Templar

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
AC does not work with biting jabs, correct? Because it is channeled?

So what do Templar use with the after their light attack and then skill?

Suggestions?

Or do I have this all messed up...

Tankz

Z6
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a window where you can put in a light attack when jabbing. Watch the animation carefully and when your foot goes back, that is where insert the light attack.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs can weave much like other skills, but the animation is very misleading about when it ends, and will hide your light attack animation. This is because the channeled attack previously had a longer duration, and when it was shortened nobody bothered to fix the animation. So there is now a period of time at the end where your character is visually still jabbing, but is actually free to do other attacks if you press the button. It's very lazy and clunky, and I find it nearly unplayable without addons to show the GCD timing.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also use add ons for the GCD. Basically what @WrathOfInnos explained.

Some people have told me that they use the elbow coming back either the 2nd or 3rd time (I forget exactly) to approximate when the GCD has ended. Ive never heard the foot going back, but I suppose that could work as well.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow..I have been doing it wrong for a long time.

I will try the add on

Using an Xbox controller on a PC.

I would alternate between the RB and RT....but would only ever see my jabs go off.

Combat metrics kind of proved that - I would see 10 biting jabs, and NO LA

Or should I use a different skill - not channeled in it's place?
    Thoughts on what to use?

Jabs are just ...so good

Tankz!!!
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok, I am not doing the right at all..

I switched my skill to Revere Slice (RS)

Doing the same thing RB then RT....
    8 Light attacks
    20 Reverse Slices

I thought it would be 1:1 (8LS : 8 RS)

right...the addon
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just took down the precursor dummy three times with my Magplar by only weaving LA with a lightning staff and Puncturing Sweeps. In all three runs, Combat Metrics showed 10xLA and 10xPuncturing Sweeps. I presume a stamplar using the stam jabs would work similarly. If struggling, I'm guessing slowing down the weave until you hit all your LAs then gradually pick up the pace to find a good compromise between hitting them all and speed.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just took down the precursor dummy three times with my Magplar by only weaving LA with a lightning staff and Puncturing Sweeps. In all three runs, Combat Metrics showed 10xLA and 10xPuncturing Sweeps. I presume a stamplar using the stam jabs would work similarly. If struggling, I'm guessing slowing down the weave until you hit all your LAs then gradually pick up the pace to find a good compromise between hitting them all and speed.

This ^
    And this:
    https://youtu.be/mmqzzjyREU8
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

8 Light attacks
    20 Reverse Slices

right...the addon

Do you have the buttons bound differently? On console, light attacks are the right trigger. If it's a default controller setup, you should be hitting that first, and not the right bumper.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I main a stamplar and you can ac with jabs. One thing I always remind people is that the la will go off when you release the trigger not press it. Listen for the release before pressing the skill button.
    Soupy twist
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »

This ^
    And this:
    https://youtu.be/mmqzzjyREU8

Thank you SO much!!!

That is AWESOME...I am still trying to get the timing straight!!!

Wow! Much Gratitude!!!!!!!!!

• Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭

8 Light attacks
    20 Reverse Slices

right...the addon

Do you have the buttons bound differently? On console, light attacks are the right trigger. If it's a default controller setup, you should be hitting that first, and not the right bumper.

yes Right Trigger (RT)- that is my LA
    Are you saying I have to start with the RT to AC?

So many acronyms - sorry.

Tankz,

Z6
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, when using Reverse Slice (RS) and Light Attacks (LA)

I had 58 RS to 30 LA
    almost 2:1...so I am not doing this right am I?
    Timing?
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    it is called Light Attack animation cancelling, so you have to first do the LA and immediately the SKILL…
    As written above, the LA is fired on BUTTON RELEASE not the button press, so try just to train on dummy with slower LA + Skill until you get the muscle memory do the right order and the right “heart beat “ … After that just try faster, addons with GCD are great support but you can make it also without that…
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jabs have an extra one at the very end, with a slight delay before it fires. It takes time to get used to.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AC does not work with biting jabs, correct? Because it is channeled?

So what do Templar use with the after their light attack and then skill?

Suggestions?

Or do I have this all messed up...

Tankz

Z6

It's between the last jab and the one right before it. Look for your character putting their leg forward at the beginning of the last jab, that's when the window for LA weaving is.
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs is the worst skill in the entire game and I am so sad and frustrated that they doubled down hard on forcing templar to use it.
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    There is a window where you can put in a light attack when jabbing. Watch the animation carefully and when your foot goes back, that is where insert the light attack.

No it is when your feet goes forward then light attack.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hescrow wrote: »

Oh no which one is it?

I am guessing the view you use the camera is pulled all the way back....

I need to see a vid of this..

Or use another skill...

• fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh no which one is it?

Or use another skill...

This is a stamplar parse on a trial dummy. Have a look - you will see the light attack being animation cancelled before the jab happens (this is on PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HZOaEgpkg
    Soupy twist
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

Oh no which one is it?

Or use another skill...

This is a stamplar parse on a trial dummy. Have a look - you will see the light attack being animation cancelled before the jab happens (this is on PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HZOaEgpkg

Ok, I watched in slo-mo!

now I see the heel coming back, like a full step back, is that when I LA?

Thank you so much - those vids are AWESOME!!!!

Really appreciate the help!
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TBH I don't watch the animation to know when to do the LA.

I have a cadence for all my skills that is the same - fully press and then immediately release trigger for the light attack, as soon as trigger is fully released I press the skill. I know jabs is 0.8s channel and i can't do more than 1 skill a second with the global cool down, so i have to leave that amount of time to get ot at least 1 second, so I practiced just with LA and jabs, aiming for the light attack to be roughly a quarter of the time of the full jabs. I used a metronome app and set it to 56 BPM which gives plenty of wiggle room for messing up hitting a skill or a light attack.

If you are using a controller my biggest tips are use a metronome app to practice and listen for the click of releasing the light attack before touching the skill button.
    Edited by fizl101 on May 25, 2022 4:42PM
    Soupy twist
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @fizl101

Slick!
    If I could only transfer those brain patterns from you to me....I don't think my brain can handle more.

How long did it take you to learn this skill?

If you didn't use Jabs, what else would you use - maybe a simpler skill would be better to start.

Must figure out the cadence!

Tankz again,

Z6
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean DPS Cadence really just comes down to practicing. Just Hours and Hours on a Dummy. Some people don't like Parsing on Dummies, but it's not really about how fast you do your parse or how much damage you can squeeze out. It's about Muscle Memory, your Rotation and Weaving need to take 0 Concentration, because when you are in a Trail or a Dungeon, you shouldn't be thinking out what button to press next, you should focus on what's around your character so you don't mess up the encounters due to mechanics are standing in Red or anything else.

Once you get down the concept of how, you just need to keep doing until you got everything down.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no visual memory, so visual cues are useless on me, sound however sticks!

It wasn't too long to learn, tbh - i stood at a wall and did light attack and jabs as neither need a target (but I didn't really bother trying to LA weave until the last year or so). Sets that have stacks based on light attacks are handy on console because they show if you are mising the LA (like relequens for example), you could stand at a skeleton, light attack and jab and keep an eye on the stacks. If they stay up and dont drop down to you risking losing the stacks you are hitting the light attacks

Another thing to consider - just while practicing the LA weave you could use a destro staff instead of daggers. the timing is the same, but you can see the visual of shooting the flame. just remember it is the light attack you are ani cancelling, not the jabs

Re. alternate skills - I've always used jabs, but if you are looking at using daggers you could consider something from the dual wield line
    Soupy twist