Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thinking of bring my DK out of mothballs. Advise needed.

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Well after reading so many DK's are OP and being killed in PvP often enough by them I'm considering bringing my PVE DK out of retirement and building a PVP build with him.

Anyone have any good setups they'd like to share? Good links? I found a few online but would rather hear from those who actually use them regularly, I find that many of the online builds are not ones that are played daily by their creators.

MagDK or StamDK is fine.

What kind of gear are you using? Skill rotations? Execute types? I've only ever PVE'd with him but am familiar with most of the skills. Thanks!
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are adjusting them with the next mod. IMO not worth dusting him off to find out he’s not as good as you hoped.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a couple of weeks and see how they are after the update. Looks like ZoS might nerf them back to PVE tanks only
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya same...I have 3 DK alt tanks just for doing quick random dungeons...was thinking of expanding one, but eh....I can wait a few weeks to see what changes get made.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Waiting to see what happens!
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are a pve player and relatively inexperienced in pvp, then the class will only help you to a limited extent
  • PvP_Exploiter
    PvP_Exploiter
    ✭✭✭
    DK was good before the buffs, it will be good after the nerfs. Not top tier like it is now because it won't be a healer-tank-damage-dealer, will lose potency. But still good.

Might have to go back to running infused cost reduction, or might get away with just Wretched Vitality
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I've been doing on my Mag DK. It is not very original but it works.

Magma Incarnate
    Plaguebreak Front bar, either inferno staff or dual wield maces. I've also used Burning Spellweave on Front bar with either inferno staff or dual wield
    Daedric Trickery back bar
    Markyn ring
    Trainee necklace

Use molten whip morph to boost your weapon damage.
    Use weapon damage, not spell damage, so you can use minor brutality (either fossilize or cinder ash will proc it)

I was using this before the big increase in resources so I imagine it will still work after the upcoming nerf

You have lots of healing but also decent damage and reasonable tankiness
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my wife made a magdk for PvP because of all the posts about dk being op posts and videos everywhere. We are currently sitting at around 600 cp for PC accounts. before we had a templar that we tried making fairly tanky, though one thing we could notice straight. Dk is way more tanky without building it that way. In comparison templar is reaaaly squishy even with defensive sets, jab hits rarely land at its fullest because of everyone running speedy movement speed buffs/traits and whatnot, BUT dk really lacks in good damage if you go for too much defense. If you don't make use of combustion the sustain is really bad too.

We tried nearly all the setups on the internet like suggested by the most popular streamers as well as builds from build sites. In bg's you can absolutely dominate the show. In cp cyrodiil though, if you don't have enough cp and if you don't literally every overperforming cp there is, you will lack behind. You can run pariah and vamp stage 3 and still melt in no time. If you go snb your most reliable self-heals will be spamming coag blood but thats only possible if your sustian is enough (as mentioned before, making use of combustion = charged trait/s on your weapon/s). BSW helps with that a bit, since it burning straight away with using a flame damage skill.

Currently we running something inferior to most other builds in terms of stat density, but more comfortable in terms less bar swap for being tanky.

Pariah body + ring and neck
    1 pc magma
    BSW dw double charged flame+poison glyphs and 3 piece body (small parts)
    malacath
    2 spell cost reduction glyphs 1 weapon power glyph
    potato snb backbar
    atro mundus
    sugar skulls
    tri-pots
    vamp stage 3

Its pretty tanky because resists are double barred. Damage is not bad and still enough to delete pugs. But this is also absolutely inferior when fighting even a single 1k++ cp vet player running at least double dps sets + resto + that annoying speed runaway LoSing kind of playstyle. Being a duo helps but not much tbh. We thinking about going swift on jewelry ourselves to somewhat have an easier time chasing. Though you have players here who play ring around the rosie for literal hours so, if you not into that you can also just make it all infused for more sustain and damage. Be on the backbar most of the time and block incoming bombs while spamming coag blood to heal through the damage. Can survive certain bombs that way.

The most usual builds with defensive sets backbarred tend to get you killed if you dont barswap in time in case you dont see bomb coming or if barswap not working. If you run with a group you can backbar a damage set that carries over to the frontbar, frontbar damage set too, as well as either another damage monster set and mythic or a more defensive monster set like chudan. Stacking heals even in small scale with 3-4 leads to people being literally unkillable while abusing LoS and speed buffs to its fullest on top.

At the end I can comfirm what others are saying here though. Dk way easier to play than all other classes rn in cp cyrodiil at least and lets you live a bit longer with easy to get sets are more than enough to somewhat stand your ground. But its far from being op regardless how you build it. You will explode if you have not enough cp, not enough good players in your group or helping with fights like healing or making up for whatever misses from your build, small scalers will still delete you with their timed burst and bombs will still be the main reason you die no matter how hard you try.

I suggest not trying to hard on finding the sweet spot with a build no matter what class as the meta currently really is far from being forgiving compared to running in a ball or small scale organized group. Its them who stick with everything that overperforms in any way. DK is in these compositions is either rare or non existant.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no offense, but at 600cp you belong to the inexperienced pvp faction unless you have experience on another platform. The players with high CP beat you not because they have cps, but because they play the class much more effectively (at least for the most part). You can also just test in the non cp, as long as you do not dominate every other class there, it's just not because of the cps.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    no offense, but at 600cp you belong to the inexperienced pvp faction unless you have experience on another platform. The players with high CP beat you not because they have cps, but because they play the class much more effectively (at least for the most part). You can also just test in the non cp, as long as you do not dominate every other class there, it's just not because of the cps.

I think you missed the part where he said they made DK toons for pvp. Its not they're 1st toons
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »
    Luede wrote: »

I think you missed the part where he said they made DK toons for pvp. Its not they're 1st toons

that is correct, but since cps are account wide, the argument is invalid.

edit: but it is quite possible that experience from other platforms exists, then it is of course something else.
    Edited by Luede on May 24, 2022 12:14PM
  • HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing this game since release with breaks. My original account is from old veteran rank days. Made a new account for consoles for me and my wife years ago, where we settled first. Made the move over to PC because PvP on console is an unplayable mess on every server, every timezone.

So yes, after all these years any of the cp systems have had huge impact on wether or not you can be competitive. You either play at a constant damage/sustain/utility/mitigation disadvantage or you are at least in this regard on par with the rest once you cought up. But that's a different story. its only important if op is really low on cp's then only real option to not be completely useless would be to pick a different class and switch to healer.

Some setups turn out well, some don't. Been running the setup mentioned above for quite a while but like I said, its far from perfect. 5/5/2/1/1 while tower humping is way to go nowadays, more stat dense and can net you more success regardless what you wanna do in PvP, IF you are comfortable with constant barswap, and reacting in time to whatever happens. Have seen many people struggling with the usual meta builds. Having a defensive set being active on both bars can help those who have a hard time with them.

But in the end it doesn't matter much. Current meta is just busted. You can't do much about it other than running what feels like 99% of players are doing too (swift/daedric/markyn/damage and monster set of choice) while LoSing like a madman or forget about all the theorycrafting as it stands and just use a build from any of the more organized guilds doing small scale or ball groups.

High Isle will bring another big shift to builds. Though the meta as we know it won't suddenly lead to people stop hugging stones, stairs or trees. The cp nerfs and the new gear that gets introduced with it looks like it might make entry to PvP easier and makes cp's a little less important for the lower boosts they will give from the blue tree.