The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I've a few questions about switching servers...

SASChris
SASChris
✭✭
...and what exactly is shared across them. Currently and for as long as my account has existed i've been on PC NA, and while it's been mostly great, I've been considering switching to PC EU for a couple of personal reasons. Getting to start over essentially from scratch does sound rather nice anyway, honestly. However, I'm curious as to what is shared across megaservers. From what I understand, crowns, ESO plus, and anything under your "billing history" on the account portion of the site (such as my beta monkey pet and a few other promo items) are truly account wide, whereas all normal crown store purchased items are not. Neither are things such as mementos, achievements (even now with AWA), champion points, crown gems, event tickets, gold, items and so on.

Chapters, account upgrades, classes and so on should be, as long as they were not purchased through the crown store. And assumedly all earned crown crates, pre order bonuses and so on are... not going to be granted once more should I make a character over on the PC EU servers? Would anyone be so kind to inform me as to whether or not I am correct in all my assumptions so far?

Beyond this, what do things like performance, latency and population look like on the PC EU server? Would latency be decent for someone playing from the western US? What about eastern US (I figure it would be a lot better given the much shorter distance compare to the west coast)? How does the game "feel" to play for those not within Eurpoe but still on thier servers? And is player population comparable? I understand that I likely wouldn't be playing during EU primetime given the part of the world I live in, but is player population for pve and pvp still any good even when playing during non peak hours?

I appreciate any and all input regarding this matter. I figure that while some of my reasons for wanting to switch servers may be silly, if it actually encourages me to play the game more often and reignites my love for the title due to getting to obtain a "clean slate" of sorts (mostly), it may be worth switching servers. I should also note that I play through Steam. Always have, aside from during the beta. Thank you all!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i believe you are correct on your assumptions of what is account wide (shared between server)

i do not know about latency, performance, or "prime times" since i dont play on EU myself, the only thing ive heard is that the EU server covers fewer time zones than the NA server, so it can feel almost dead outside of primetime (im sure someone who is on EU could better quantify this)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    In a nutshell, anything you've bought or buy through steam will be on both servers. You're crowns are pooled between the two servers. Outside of that everything else is server specific. Characters, achievements, crown store items.

To give you an idea about latency, from Arizona at 11pm at night my ping is 200 to the EU server and 100 to the NA server. Overland is completely playable but I do experience delays to skills/combat/button presses a lot but I've gotten use to it.

As for population it really depends on when you play. For me it usually seems really dead at times. But then there are times when I'm surprised by the amount of people on.I believe it's early morning there when I'm playing. During events it's a lot more livelier.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I remember it is: if you bought it within the game it's server specific, if you bought it outside the game it's account wide.

And yes that means crowns (whether from ESO+ or crown packs) are account wide - you share your balance across both servers - but items bought with them are only on the one server, so you can't simply buy everything twice.

As for latency and things like that the simplest way to find out is probably to log in and see. It's free to try and there's no actual transfer process to go through, everyone always has access to both servers, so you could just make a character and start playing and see how it is for you.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"