Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I've never done a battleground- what am I missing?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I tend to do more PVE. I do wander into PVP (Imperial City and Cyrodiil) and die very, very often...but it is fun!

What is the major difference with a Battle Ground?
What do people love about it?
Hate about it?

I am terrible in PvP...will a BG be better for me?

Trial kind of freak me out because you have to have 1000000 dps....I don't...

Thotz?

Tankz,

Z6
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to PvP!

BGs are different in that it's small-scale team based PvP, which means that there are less players fighting each other in smaller maps. There are five different modes; 4 that are objective based, and 1 that is just straight killing as many players as you can. There are lots of detailed written guides and explanations online if you want more details about each of the modes. Players enjoy them because they are a nice alternative to Cyro or IC, if you want a PvP experience that is fairly action packed during a shorter time span. It also has a lot less performance issues than any of the other PvP areas.

Although there are less people and no large-scale tactics at play, I will say it's not any easier than the other PvP modes. In fact, in some ways it's more difficult because you have less people to be reliant on, and it's much more difficult to be able to disengage from combat because of the smaller maps. It's also a tough environment for new players because it doesn't take long to climb whatever match making system they have in BGs. So oftentimes you'll be facing higher skilled people before you're ready, and they will not go easy on you, I'll be honest.

However, if you don't care about dying and don't take it seriously at first they can be fun and addictive because they are often so fast paced in comparison to Cyro and IC. From my experience, the things I learned in BGs made me a better PvP player in general because it forced me to learn combat techniques and ways to counter other players. It also gives you a better insight into your weaknesses and strengths as a player because you have to be more self-sufficient. The skills you take from BGs will help you survive and make more of an impact in more large-scale PvP. It's also a great feeling when you start seeing progress in BGs because it can definitely be a difficult ride!

My advice is don't take it too seriously when you're just starting. Just have fun in learning the different modes and getting used to a more intense PvP environment. It is fun when you get the hang of it! Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to on the forums, players are more than willing to offer advice on here.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on May 10, 2022 6:22PM
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find them to be far less chaotic than open world pvp. Matches are also governed by an invisible matchmaking system, which in theory, ensures there’s good balance of skilled and unskilled players in each team. The system is far from perfect, but I find it does what it’s supposed to more often than not. Each match takes a max of 15 mins, so they’re also great in that you can play a game or 2 when you’re taking a break from whatever you’re doing irl - e.g. on lunch break while working from home :)

Oh, also… all battlegrounds are NO CP, but with procs, which is the system I prefer!
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing the part where you'll get killed over and over by immortals B)
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think immortal builds that still have decent damage potential are something of a myth these days. The only builds I’ve encountered that I found were too difficult for a single player to take down dealt laughable damage. The ones that deal decent to scary amounts of damage are very killable if you figure out the right window to burst in. These are usually players who are really good at managing their resources and defensive cooldowns. It’s similar to a boss fight where you have burst windows, and periods where the best you can do is take cover. Don’t expect to win a DPS race against a good DK with corrosive armor active, or a necromancer using ravenous goliath. The game only lets us see other players’ health and not their stamina, magicka and ultimate resources, so learning to picture what these values might be based solely on what your opponent has done and how he’s reacting to your moves takes a lot of practice. Some players are good at bluffing as well. I’m still trying to get good at this part of the game.

Just my 2 cents…
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think immortal builds that still have decent damage potential are something of a myth these days. The only builds I’ve encountered that I found were too difficult for a single player to take down dealt laughable damage. The ones that deal decent to scary amounts of damage are very killable if you figure out the right window to burst in. These are usually players who are really good at managing their resources and defensive cooldowns. It’s similar to a boss fight where you have burst windows, and periods where the best you can do is take cover. Don’t expect to win a DPS race against a good DK with corrosive armor active, or a necromancer using ravenous goliath. The game only lets us see other players’ health and not their stamina, magicka and ultimate resources, so learning to picture what these values might be based solely on what your opponent has done and how he’s reacting to your moves takes a lot of practice. Some players are good at bluffing as well. I’m still trying to get good at this part of the game.

Just my 2 cents…

This times a million. Lots of newer or less experienced (or dare I say less skilled) players often complain about unkillable builds wiping their team but if a build is wiping a team it's far from unkillable.

OP, if you haven't tried BGs yet be prepared to die a lot. It can be a really harsh environment for PvP because it's very much stripped down. You won't have a zerg to surf, and the teams may often be very imbalanced. But in BGs, you die and you learn. Each time you die, don't immediately blame the set or the skill or the class, ask the question "What did I just do to put myself in the position to die? What could i have predicted? What could i have done to counter?" 9 times out of ten, the answer is "I was split from the team", but always ask that question and you'll learn from every death.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bgs are amazing.
    They are also very difficult.
    Hope you get into + stick with it!
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGs are the most fast-paced PvP in ESO. If you die in cyro, it's 5 minutes horse back to action. BGs, it takes 10 to 30 seconds.

Opponents are almost always there at you, nonstop. You can do full damage - no sustain setup for cyro and try to knock opponent you see with burst. If you try that in BGs, you'll be quickly outsustained. Objectives require you to be proactive - even in Deathmatch, you want more kills, so the more you wait, the less kills you can do.

Equal amount of team members create the most competitive PvP environment. Sure, some teams are weaker then others, but that's still multitudes more balanced than possible 10v30 in cyro (or worse).

Combat size. Idk about you, but when I do some 20v20 fight in cyro, I feel like a tiny cog. You are much more significant your your team in BGs.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love and hate BGs.

If I'm in the right MMR bracket it's really fun: I get killed but I can also be very competitive. As others have already flagged it can be really hectic and fast paced and this is good fun IMO. I actually don't mind having different game modes as, at the end of the day, you can always focus on actual PvP.

however............too often I find myself playing against streamers and content creators and they are, quite frankly, so much better than me. It's not about builds and luck: they are simply more skilled!
    The gap is way too big and I don't have enough time to actually train to even remotely close the gap. This makes my experience simply too frustrating.

With a better MMR system BGs would be simply awesome. At present they are hit and miss for me.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing!!!
  • Vetixio
    Vetixio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Battlegrounds they are a different experience to Cyrodiil and I do like the variety of maps and game modes. Unfortunately they are usually full of proc set cheese I wish would implement a no proc BGs like they have no proc Cyro campaigns.
    Edited by Vetixio on May 27, 2022 10:45PM
    Pìerre - Breton Vampire Templar, Grand Overlord. Erádàn - Bosmer Templar, Warlord. Vyríc - Imperial Vampire Necromancer, Centurion. Sybìl - Breton Sorcerer, Centurion. Erìch - Nord Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Njàll - Nord Templar, Lieutenant. Elánnà - Bosmer Warden, Veteran. Laquì - Redguard Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Noveni Dres - Dunmer Sorcerer, Lieutenant. Marìnus - Imperial Warden, Veteran. Arvyn Indoril - Dunmer Templar, Sergeant. Rósalyn - Breton Sorcerer, Corporal. Emelîn - Bosmer Dragonknight, Corporal. Astaroth Indoril - Dunmer Sorcerer.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What are you missing? PvE players in Team Deathmatch feeding kills to the enemy.

MYucrXg.png

Try to make a PvP build as quickly as possible.

PvE builds don't do well in BGs and result in a very unpleasant experience for you and your team.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 4, 2022 6:21PM
    PC NA
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the random BG each day until you get 1st or 2nd. 100K XP is what you are missing if you don't.

Beware that some of the regulars have become rather toxic. It's probably best to ignore them. Not sayin' that's what I always do, but it's probably the best thing to do.
    Edited by Giraffon on June 3, 2022 1:37PM
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The friends you make along the way.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 4, 2022 6:21PM
    PC NA
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    Do the random BG each day until you get 1st or 2nd. 100K XP is what you are missing if you don't.

Beware that some of the regulars have become rather toxic. It's probably best to ignore them. Not sayin' that's what I always do, but it's probably the best thing to do.

I have to agree: BGs can be and often are a very toxic environment especially in the high MMR bracket;
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Giraffon wrote: »

I have to agree: BGs can be and often are a very toxic environment especially in the high MMR bracket;

I play in the high mmr bracket and everyone I know is pretty chill.
    The most toxic people are the ones who go 0-10 typically
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    The friends you make along the way.

Indeed this, the true battleground experience was the friends we made along the way
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Read about the different games so that you won't be completely lost. Look into getting a build, ask your guildies or look online. That is about as ready as you can be so, Queue up!

But as far as missing, there are some exclusive rewards offered such as styles.
    Edited by Dojohoda on June 5, 2022 6:32PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Read about the different games so that you won't be completely lost. Look into getting a build, ask your guildies or look online. That is about as ready as you can be so, Queue up!

Tanks @Dojohoda ..wait...are there certain sets I am missing????
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Dojohoda wrote: »

Tanks @Dojohoda ..wait...are there certain sets I am missing????

Not sets, but unique styles for outfit system. All the sets obtainable in BGs can be traded.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @divnyi interesting. I don't really care what my character looks like (mostly in a loincloth)...

I also lack the eye for what is good. I have seen some stellar looking characters.... thanks for letting me know!

Can't believe major labels haven't jumped in to cash in....wonder if I can get a denim Levi's branded cuirass for my Templar.