The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

ok serious talk here, what is with no breaking free and serial stuns

blktauna
blktauna
✭✭✭✭✭
CC immunity is a lie and break free barely works.
Those of you who have this issue, how do you work around it? I am sick if being serial stunned and unable to breakfree in mad succession.

all tips and tricks appreciated.

[edited for profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 8, 2022 4:01PM
PCNA
PCEU
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    CC immunity is a lie and break free barely works.
    Those of you who have this issue, how do you work around it? I am sick if being serial stunned and unable to breakfree in mad succession.

all tips and tricks appreciated.

Nothing helps, best bet is to play battlegrounds over Cyrodiil. CC break somewhat functions as intended there....
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slippery is the lone things that helps and if it just proc and you get stunned again you r probably dead
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many DKs use the Fossilize, which is technically like a "double stun", you have to break free first and then get immobilized too and have to dodgerole out of it. Some of them are really funny and use a poison as well, which immobilizes you a second time. So in total three break frees that can be forced with that one skill.
    Edited by L_Nici on May 7, 2022 2:53PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance is all over the place.

Factor in lag, combat bug, slow bug, mad horse disease, immortal bouncing bunnies and 'tanks' that can saunter around burning seiges no matter how many opponents are around, it's actually farcical !
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no one has any tips for dealing with this...

its esp bad when I'm in nocp with my eu guild. I'm even trying unstoppable pots and they are useless. I tried the new boss monster helm and that did nothing either.

PCNA
    PCEU
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you maybe elaborate a bit more, what exactly you mean with being stunned in series?

Following the answers in this thread, I see that people are somewhat aware of the existence of hard cc's and soft cc's, but call both base mechanics to get out of them "breaking free".

First off, there are hard cc's in the game, which will knock you down to the ground, making you unable to do anything unless you spend stamina to break free or the duration of the stun ends. Both grant you a short time of 7 seconds with immunity to being hard cc'ed again.

Then there are soft cc's, which also are known as roots. While under this effect, you are not able to move, but you can still cast skills, block, etc. To counter this soft cc, you can either use a roll dodge, a skill granting you immunity to snares and roots or you can wait till the root wears out. After these 3 actions, you are granted a 3 second immunity to roots.

There are root poisons though, which sometimes ignore the immunity to roots. Meanwhile the immunity potions grant you immunity to both hard and soft cc's, therefore for stuns and roots.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.
    I will be serially fossilised after I break the first one. No immunity as I break again and I'm fossilised again. Third time I break or seem to break because the animation goes but I'm still skill bar greyed out and unable to move. Then I'm dead.

This will happen with or without pots and with or without immolator Char (because I'm only a nb and as you can tell 2-3 dks are whaling on me so i am def below 50% health).

Thats just the easiest example because the visuals make it clear.

Nothing I do seems to prevent this serial stunning and its deeply annoying considering there is supposed to be a thing called cc immunity.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EU it's lag. It got a lot better US after server upgrades. Up until then, people knew combinations that really played off that broken lag and it really doesn't work anymore
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was happening last night, still, in NA Blackreach.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except lag, I've seen one weird glitch ONCE when I've applied 3 chains in a row, and third one did small pull too. Dunno if it was just position desynch or it actually pulled. Didn't stun.

Everything else, yes, it's lag.

Also what happens a lot is you can't press anything when you are already dead but game shows you are still standing for several seconds.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    The same issue as with Dk´s fosilize is with NBs susŕise attacks… With immovable potion can NB stun you 3-5 times in a row, even if you break free you just get stunned again without any immunity or cooldown applied… This happens in nocp/noproc permanently, also with NBs cloaking in the midle of AoEs like there is nothing on the ground (towers smashed by AoE from 5-6 people )…

For DK, they use tallons+medium/heavy attack and after that they can still use fosilize… If you can survive this two then you have 5-7 secs window until they repeat…
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was happening last night, still, in NA Blackreach.

Record it and post it.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It has something to do with getting stuck in heavy attack. I noticed it after surviving through a stun and my character started doing heavy attacks by himself
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slippery is the lone things that helps and if it just proc and you get stunned again you r probably dead

i dont know i find slippery is both good and bad... If your a ball group attacking a group of people, its safe to assume many are running slippery and you can "TIME" your abilities so that you catch them again right after immunity since you know when slippery is going to go off in the 1st place :)

Without slippery YOU are in control of your break free and often works out better in your favour imo.

The original DCON is a perfect example of this.. It had 2 pulls, your slippery would break free on the 1st and then u got sucked back in again for the second pull. But a manual break free was delayed more and didnt have this effect as much.
    Edited by deleted221205-002626 on May 9, 2022 2:00PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.
    I will be serially fossilised after I break the first one. No immunity as I break again and I'm fossilised again. Third time I break or seem to break because the animation goes but I'm still skill bar greyed out and unable to move. Then I'm dead.

This will happen with or without pots and with or without immolator Char (because I'm only a nb and as you can tell 2-3 dks are whaling on me so i am def below 50% health).

Thats just the easiest example because the visuals make it clear.

Nothing I do seems to prevent this serial stunning and its deeply annoying considering there is supposed to be a thing called cc immunity.

cc immunity is a lie and if when you caught the attention of 2-3 DKs you might as well start deciding where to respawn.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I use slippery is that manual break free never actually happens in cyrodil. No problem in pve but never works in pvp.

Yes CC immunity really seems to be a lie...
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xPoisin wrote: »
    The same issue as with Dk´s fosilize is with NBs susŕise attacks… With immovable potion can NB stun you 3-5 times in a row, even if you break free you just get stunned again without any immunity or cooldown applied… This happens in nocp/noproc permanently, also with NBs cloaking in the midle of AoEs like there is nothing on the ground (towers smashed by AoE from 5-6 people )…

For DK, they use tallons+medium/heavy attack and after that they can still use fosilize… If you can survive this two then you have 5-7 secs window until they repeat…

Don't forget there is also talon in between the fossilize attacks to ensure more rooting being done. Add to it you got the Fire or Poison DoT on you and the over powered whip now also to deal with that can do north of 12K damage against a 33k resistance target.

Rooting is more like a hard stun than a soft stun because you can't move and more than half of the time you can't even use abilities. I have said it more than once this game needs it CC effects and CC immunity reworked. It is one of the bigger issues I see in PVP. The other being exploits/cheats being used that don't seem to result in players being banned for such behavior.

I know a few players that got 7 day bans because of their PSN name, but players who are clearly violating the ToS get nothing. Yeah fair. But that is another topic that needs to be resolved.

As for this topic, best thing to do is if you see a DK, simply leave them alone. Especially if there are two or more working together. Saw a group of 3 DK wipe out two entire 12 man groups of mixed classes where no one in the two 12 man groups where DKs themselves, that's definitely balanced.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same...had loads of stamina, was just LA and bam....stunned kneeling on the ground for what felt like an eternity...couldn't break free at all.
  • WordsOfPower
    WordsOfPower
    ✭✭✭
    Snow Treaders
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you maybe elaborate a bit more, what exactly you mean with being stunned in series?

Following the answers in this thread, I see that people are somewhat aware of the existence of hard cc's and soft cc's, but call both base mechanics to get out of them "breaking free".

First off, there are hard cc's in the game, which will knock you down to the ground, making you unable to do anything unless you spend stamina to break free or the duration of the stun ends. Both grant you a short time of 7 seconds with immunity to being hard cc'ed again.

Then there are soft cc's, which also are known as roots. While under this effect, you are not able to move, but you can still cast skills, block, etc. To counter this soft cc, you can either use a roll dodge, a skill granting you immunity to snares and roots or you can wait till the root wears out. After these 3 actions, you are granted a 3 second immunity to roots.

There are root poisons though, which sometimes ignore the immunity to roots. Meanwhile the immunity potions grant you immunity to both hard and soft cc's, therefore for stuns and roots.

Immovable pots don't work. Snowtreaders work but don't stop stuns or knockback.

I've tested both out. I popped a potion to get the benefits from the immovable pot and I had snowtreaders on. I was triple stun 3x in a row within seconds of using the potion.

10 minutes later the potion worked but I was still knockback but stun didn't impact me.

The issue is and continues to be is that some abilities can by pass the CC immunity or doesn't trigger and it seems those that don't trigger it skill or gear can simply stun, knock you back or pull you; even though you should have immunity.

As for hard vs. soft CC. How is a root a SOFT cc, especially where most of the roots I have seen also make abilities not usable. I'm not talking stuns I'm talking roots.

Without the slippery CP, I wouldn't play PVP because of how broken CC effects and immunity is in this game.

Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on May 17, 2022 7:24PM
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭

Immovable pots don't work. Snowtreaders work but don't stop stuns or knockback.

I've tested both out. I popped a potion to get the benefits from the immovable pot and I had snowtreaders on. I was triple stun 3x in a row within seconds of using the potion.

10 minutes later the potion worked but I was still knockback but stun didn't impact me.

The issue is and continues to be is that some abilities can by pass the CC immunity
    Post a video of this please.
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    so here is my cheat. (not really cheating). You are probably just being stacked with so many CC that you feel like its impossible. I have always had trouble with this until I got a left hand gamepad with a thumb stick. I assign the front and back of the thumbstick to break free. I run immunity pots as well(multiple varieties) but the thumb stick panic break has been by far the most effective; I can break quickly enough to drop a pot

I feel like it really is reaction time..so if you have a potato ping it might hurt extra hard..idk just trying to help.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I use slippery is that manual break free never actually happens in cyrodil. No problem in pve but never works in pvp.

Yes CC immunity really seems to be a lie...

I stopped using slippery on all but NBs because I felt like the perma-cc glitch would happen more often. This is where you just sit there breaking free over and over, using stam, but not ending the cc. Like, I imput break free (out of habit), and so did slippery which befuddles the server.

I know patience isn't first on your mind in a fight while cc'd, but try not spamming break free sometime to see if you get out. Wait for the first request to go through lol. I also found spamming it sometimes seemed to cause the perma cc instead of helping to overcome it. Most of the time I just end up cursing the game. It is really disappointing when you press the potion button multiple times, it finally works and then you get cc'd while having supposed immovability. It must be lag or poor servers.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Break free is all the time very unresponsive and alot of times not working. Wish I could record it. but you get stunned and try to break free but your character is simply stuck in the kneeling or a standing animation and you can not move or use break free. I play battlegrounds EU. Also I am not sure if nowadays skills are supposed to hit you mid roll dodge but whip suprise attack etc single target skills do that alot. I was thinking there is some latency problem, but my ping is under 60-90 all the time not sure if it should affect it this much.
    Can add I went from full to zero health in about 1s after I got hit with 2 burning light from temp passive after being hit with 2 sweep ticks and 1 jabs tick on my death recap. So thinking the server do not show me all that happends.

Unrelated to the perm stun but related to the server
    envi-dmg.png
    Edited by Yakidafi on May 20, 2022 7:01AM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assign a dedicated key to break free and don't have issues breaking hard CCs. I do, however, struggle with chain roots often. I think there might be an issue where cleansing/purging the root doesn't grant you the immunity, and so it can be reapplied immediately. I don't know if this is working "as designed", but it does annoy me when I'm trying to conserve stamina and choose to not roll. This can be particularly frustrating against bombard and frost clench.
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any problems with break free (use slippery too), but getting chain fossilized is quite frustrating and seems broken.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also Deep Breath can interrupt you (as well fthe regular interrupt move). I think breaking free and roll dodge can be interrupted.
    Edited by Thrasher91604 on May 24, 2022 10:35PM
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything and everything in this game cc's you. Even mudcrabs can do that. There's waaaay too many things that disrupt a flowing gameplay and it's beyond frustrating at this point.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance issues have been going on for a long time. Meta switched a long time ago towards tankier play over glass cannon (not sure what you are running). I enjoy playing light/medium cannon builds but I for sure get dropped with performance as unresponsiveness, whether breaking free, dodge roll or relying on a pot going off.

Sorry, got nothing for you :(
  • jasonleitch1_ESO
    jasonleitch1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest way I have found is keybinding both breakfree and dodgeroll to my mouse scroll wheel. For dodgeroll I use scroll up/down (I had to rebind camera zoom; I use the +/- on the number pad). Also, as I am using the logitech G502 mouse (which has left/right scroll wheel buttons), I use the left/right scroll wheel for breakfree/bash/interupt. Breakfree becomes a finger wiggle for me.

The idea is to set keybinds for both dodgeroll and breakfree that you can quickly press (either on the keyboard or the mouse) and that feel comfortable and works for you.

P.S. My current setup does cause me to occasionally accidently dodgeroll out of menus but I can live with that. :)
    Edited by jasonleitch1_ESO on June 7, 2022 6:47PM
    PC/NA: Pentar Stonedrake (mag sorc) - Undefined (technically my main)
    PC/NA: Pentora Stonedrake (stam sorc) - Death Huntress (NB hunter / speed build)