The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How can I restart The Demon Weapon quest?

Sly80
Sly80
✭✭✭
After dropping this quest to complete the main SE questline ages ago, I would like to start it again, but none of the quest givers are in the places they are supposed to be and the "Sealed Imperial Summons from the Crown Store" quest starter is greyed out and unusable.

I’ve searched everywhere for an answer, and also submitted a ticket; the response was to tell me to delete all trace of all the add-ons, which seems a bit extreme when I strongly suspect it won’t make a difference. Is it worth trying or is there another solution, or is the quest simply impossible to restart?

Best Answer

• tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In order to offer a suggestion, I just want to make sure we're both reading the same thing. Sorry if this is redundant with anything you've tried so far.

Anais, the quest giver, should show up and yell at you in one of the following locations—it might not work if you currently have another quest with Abnur active, like the basegame main quest (with The Prophet and Mannimarco and whatnot):
    You can begin this quest by speaking to the courier Anais Davaux, found outside the starting city of your alliance (Vulkhel Guard, Daggerfall, or Davon's Watch). After receiving the message from Abnur Tharn, either through Anais Davaux or from the Crown Store, you will need to speak to the man himself in either Vulkhel Guard, Daggerfall or Davon's Watch, depending on your alliance. He will be found in either Vulkhel Guard Manor & Treasury, the Davon's Watch Mages Guildhall, or Daggerfall Castle.

You're looking for Anais, not Abnur. She's pretty loud, I think usually by a wayshrine, but run all around just in case.

If Anais is not there, and you don't have another Abnur quest at all, AND you don't have a letter in your inventory/quest inventory from Abnur, AND you hadn't somehow finished The Demon Weapon and moved on to the second quest (The Halls of Colossus) before abandoning the prologue questline, I'm not sure what to do.

In that case, I wonder if using the Zone Guide for Northern Elsweyr (hit P and select Zone Guide and look for a "start this zone"-type of button) works for prologue quests.

If Anais is nowhere, you can do it on another character and still buy the achievement furnishing on your other characters (even if you delete the one who got the achievement).

Anyway, good luck!
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Answer ✓
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sly80 wrote: »
    I’ve searched everywhere for an answer,
    hmm, by chance did you search here in these following prior 5 threads/posts about your similar topic....?
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6927231#Comment_6927231
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6752576#Comment_6752576
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6213849#Comment_6213849
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7366962#Comment_7366962
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7541994#Comment_7541994
    and also submitted a ticket; the response was to tell me to delete all trace of all the add-ons, which seems a bit extreme when I strongly suspect it won’t make a difference.

Is it worth trying or is there another solution, or is the quest simply impossible to restart?
    The answer was already given to you (maybe) by an official ESO CSR who probably inspected your character & account.

It could be an 'AwA' related issue, but tbqh 'Adds-ons & mods' are typically the cause of many 'bugs' (hence why i've never used any of them ,, and also why in 9+ years of playing this game i can count the number of bugs i've ever had on one hand ) .

Try it. Then see if it does indeed make a difference.

If it doesn't, then at least you'll actually know for sure.

Abnur is in limbo and poor Caldwell must be going bonkers looking to spawn for you too! ;)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on May 6, 2022 3:40PM
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks you for your response, NeeScrolls, but all of those threads are about abandoning The Demon Weapon to be able to continue with the main quest, which is exactly the reason why I abandoned it.

None of them indicate how, if at all, you can restart The Demon Weapon.

I imagined I would not be the only player who had attempted to do this, so hoped to find out if it was fixable before I started demolishing some very useful trading and guild add-ons.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagined I would not be the only player who had attempted to do this, so hoped to find out if it was fixable before I started demolishing some very useful trading and guild add-ons.
    I could be wrong here (since again, i never use any add-ons or whatever) but i'm pretty sure you can just simply disable them, not necessarily "demolish" them.
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    I could be wrong here (since again, i never use any add-ons or whatever) but i'm pretty sure you can just simply disable them, not necessarily "demolish" them.

Thanks again. I'll give it a try if I get no other suggestions.

The instructions start with:

Remove all files from the "AddOns" folder.
    Remove all files from the "SavedVariables" folder.
    Remove AddOnSettings.txt from the "live" folder.

Then they go through a further 16 or so steps and finish with:

The repair process will go through a loop of verify, download, and verify again until all files are repaired. The progress bar may load from 0 to 100 multiple times before finishing. This may take a while.

I would like the memento from the quest, but maybe not that much :)
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd check the quest givers listed in the walkthrough below, and if you were part way through it, there might be another part midway where you need to pick it up again. I abandoned all my quest at one point, and now I only pick up and keep those I'm actively working in my log now, and some were like this.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Demon_Weapon

• Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    Taggund wrote: »
    I'd check the quest givers listed in the walkthrough below, and if you were part way through it, there might be another part midway where you need to pick it up again. I abandoned all my quest at one point, and now I only pick up and keep those I'm actively working in my log now, and some were like this.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Demon_Weapon

Great idea. I'll check along the various steps of the quest and see if I can pick up the thread. Thanks.
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Could not pick it back up at any point. :/

Next possibility seems to be finding someone who is (or about to be) playing the quest, and seeing if I can share it with them.
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭

You're looking for Anais, not Abnur. She's pretty loud, I think usually by a wayshrine, but run all around just in case.

If Anais is not there, and you don't have another Abnur quest at all, AND you don't have a letter in your inventory/quest inventory from Abnur, AND you hadn't somehow finished The Demon Weapon and moved on to the second quest (The Halls of Colossus) before abandoning the prologue questline, I'm not sure what to do.

In that case, I wonder if using the Zone Guide for Northern Elsweyr (hit P and select Zone Guide and look for a "start this zone"-type of button) works for prologue quests.

If Anais is nowhere, you can do it on another character and still buy the achievement furnishing on your other characters (even if you delete the one who got the achievement).

Very helpful suggestions. I'll work through them and report back. Many thanks :)
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    In the end I did the quest on an alt. Not ideal, but a solution that worked :) Thanks for all the help and suggestions.