The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

It's time for a battlegrounds only event

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
To increase the population we should have a battlegrounds only short even like how undaunted event but for battlegrounds

This will promote new people into battlegrounds so we can have new modes or even more queues someday
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great idea!
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Such event would also shows zos cares about pvp community too.

Make it like explorer event nothing major but promoted joining content
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup and grant easy farm for good players.
    Edited by mmtaniac on May 6, 2022 6:23AM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »

It would balance out with population boosts. A lot of bad players would be against each other.

It would give them a chance to see the joys of pvp

• Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be fantastic. It would be a great way to add an element of fun for new players, which is severely lacking at the moment, and incentivize the whole community.
    mmtaniac wrote: »

Great mindset to have in trying to grow the population...
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on May 7, 2022 1:01AM
  • DaggersKid
    DaggersKid
    ✭✭✭
    make bgs playable again before asking for a event, meaning make deathmatches only a thing and / or fixing the horrible objectives…
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DaggersKid wrote: »
    make bgs playable again before asking for a event, meaning make deathmatches only a thing and / or fixing the horrible objectives…

It can't happen if we don't increase the population
  • DaggersKid
    DaggersKid
    ✭✭✭
    you can‘t increase population without deathmatch only or fixing objectives. so yeah seems like bgs are done for…

also i don‘t mind waiting 20 min instead of 10min to play smth i enjoy, because atm i wouldn‘t wait 1 second for an objective bg…
    Edited by DaggersKid on May 6, 2022 10:39PM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you can‘t increase population without deathmatch only or fixing objectives. so yeah seems like bgs are done for…

Doom and gloom mindset isn't the answer either. We have tried deathmatch only. It actually decreased the population.

So let's get a lot more people playing battlegrounds then we can talk about splitting queues again.

One step at a time for change
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

also i don‘t mind waiting 20 min instead of 10min to play smth i enjoy, because atm i wouldn‘t wait 1 second for an objective bg…

there are also those of us who dislike or dont prefer deathmatch

i would hate to see "DM only" be the only queue option again and would stop playing BGs again, and would rather play any objective mode over deathmatch (not saying objective modes are perfect, mainly due to issues with the maps themselves such as geometry cheesing with chaosball, or huge maps requiring too much running between the objectives in which it feels more like mini cyrodiil)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i would hate to see "DM only" be the only queue option again and would stop playing BGs again, and would rather play any objective mode over deathmatch (not saying objective modes are perfect, mainly due to issues with the maps themselves such as geometry cheesing with chaosball, or huge maps requiring too much running between the objectives in which it feels more like mini cyrodiil)

That's why we need to work on increasing our population. We can have more breakdowns after that

We need a small event that puts focus on inviting players to see the joys of battlegrounds
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you would get most likely is "afk bgs" event... ;)
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why we need to work on increasing our population. We can have more breakdowns after that

We need a small event that puts focus on inviting players to see the joys of battlegrounds

The reason population can't increase is because two groups of players are forced to play game modes they hate and therefore clash with each other. People hated TDM only because they were forced to play tdm when they didn't want to and would avoid BGs entirely because of this, and the problem is the exact same with current BGS.
    TDM players will either dodge BG's or throw every game turning every one into TDM.

The reason BG's cant grow is because the players aren't given the ability to play the game how they want. This is literally like what happened during Flames of Ambition no proc, everyone who hated no proc just fled to imperial city/bgs permanently because they didn't want to play no proc.

Not giving players freedom of choice results in stagnation or population drop-off
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea to encourage people back to BGs after many were driven away during the period where they were only DM.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just got into BGs during the most recent PvP event and I've already seen the population decline since the initial drop off.
    I'd love to see a BGs only event! Seriously would love it. As a newer PvP player, I enjoy some of the objectives and death match. I feel like the fights during Crazy King or Domination are almost more fun than full on death match, because it's so responsive. Lots of fun in most modes! (Side eye for Relic Runner)

-
    Probably another thread topic, but as a former PvE mostly player, with lots of PvP-only-for-fast-horse-or-caltrops player friends, giving the random daily XP bonus (or some percentage of it) to the losing team would encourage them to queue for the dailies, regularly. It'd definitely get new blood flowing!
    I've convinced them to queue with me (Swap to Lady mundus for their PvE divines gear & sugar skulls for most basic, S&B if they wanna prep) after they realize it's just as good XP as a random normal. But, losing multiple times and not getting the XP boost is disheartening. And they're not going to keep going back if they're getting slaughtered and also NOT getting XP. They won't get any better without practice, and they're not going to practice or dump mats into a set of armor or time into new skills, if there is no reward, because it's a video game and rewards are how it's structured.

I'm sure that rule is there to prevent people from just standing at the base, so perhaps achieving a medal score of at least XXX even if you're on the losing team grants you the bonus. That way work is rewarded and you're not punished for lazy or bad teammates who stealth in a corner or spawn camp. I don't wish to dumb it down, or benefit people not playing but make it just a little bit more rewarding, particularly when you're still learning, since there is some level of "access" needed for PvP that PvE doesn't have.

I don't have a screen shot but as an example, we did a full 15 minute death match and the scores were all within 30ish points of each other. New friend was digging it, feeling pumped that they scored so high in BGs, but got a blue Cowards Gear belt and a trickle of AP for their trouble. Even getting rewarded 70% of that XP bonus would have probably convinced them to come back the next day, and get better so they get the full XP next time! Instead, they went back to cycling through all 14 of their characters in Stormhaven, running random normals for the guaranteed XP boost vs a chance.

(I know- get gud, you don't need rewards, the game is its own reward, don't be a whiney PvE player, chasing XP is stupid, the XP grind is easy just BRP bro, get better goals, get gud...have I covered it all?)
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mayhem includes BGs. As such the desired effect is taken care of via the BGs.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LurgidBean wrote: »
    I just got into BGs during the most recent PvP event and I've already seen the population decline since the initial drop off.
    I'd love to see a BGs only event! Seriously would love it. As a newer PvP player, I enjoy some of the objectives and death match. I feel like the fights during Crazy King or Domination are almost more fun than full on death match, because it's so responsive. Lots of fun in most modes! (Side eye for Relic Runner)

-
    Probably another thread topic, but as a former PvE mostly player, with lots of PvP-only-for-fast-horse-or-caltrops player friends, giving the random daily XP bonus (or some percentage of it) to the losing team would encourage them to queue for the dailies, regularly. It'd definitely get new blood flowing!
    I've convinced them to queue with me (Swap to Lady mundus for their PvE divines gear & sugar skulls for most basic, S&B if they wanna prep) after they realize it's just as good XP as a random normal. But, losing multiple times and not getting the XP boost is disheartening. And they're not going to keep going back if they're getting slaughtered and also NOT getting XP. They won't get any better without practice, and they're not going to practice or dump mats into a set of armor or time into new skills, if there is no reward, because it's a video game and rewards are how it's structured.

I'm sure that rule is there to prevent people from just standing at the base, so perhaps achieving a medal score of at least XXX even if you're on the losing team grants you the bonus. That way work is rewarded and you're not punished for lazy or bad teammates who stealth in a corner or spawn camp. I don't wish to dumb it down, or benefit people not playing but make it just a little bit more rewarding, particularly when you're still learning, since there is some level of "access" needed for PvP that PvE doesn't have.

I don't have a screen shot but as an example, we did a full 15 minute death match and the scores were all within 30ish points of each other. New friend was digging it, feeling pumped that they scored so high in BGs, but got a blue Cowards Gear belt and a trickle of AP for their trouble. Even getting rewarded 70% of that XP bonus would have probably convinced them to come back the next day, and get better so they get the full XP next time! Instead, they went back to cycling through all 14 of their characters in Stormhaven, running random normals for the guaranteed XP boost vs a chance.

(I know- get gud, you don't need rewards, the game is its own reward, don't be a whiney PvE player, chasing XP is stupid, the XP grind is easy just BRP bro, get better goals, get gud...have I covered it all?)

Maybe we just need more ap rewards. Even third place gets you good amount of ap.
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimately its gameplay issues that's at the heart of the problems with BG, and until they are resolved there is no real point having events. If the game felt fun and fair with decent rewards then new players would stay. Its the same as cyrodill it has had many events over the years, and population has gradually declined despite them, and in some cases because of them i suspect as players are exposed to the issues.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ultimately its gameplay issues that's at the heart of the problems with BG, and until they are resolved there is no real point having events. If the game felt fun and fair with decent rewards then new players would stay. Its the same as cyrodill it has had many events over the years, and population has gradually declined despite them, and in some cases because of them i suspect as players are exposed to the issues.

There's emotes, 6 different outfit styles, even if you get last place you get ap rewards. Not mention rewards of worth mail after each bg.There's also a vendor with housing rewards and motif

My conclusion is battlegrounds need exposure as such event to increase population
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on May 10, 2022 11:52AM
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    LurgidBean wrote: »
    -

Maybe we just need more ap rewards. Even third place gets you good amount of ap.

There's emotes, 6 different outfit styles, even if you get last place you get ap rewards. Not mention rewards of worth mail after each bg.There's also a vendor with housing rewards and motif

My conclusion is battlegrounds need exposure as such event to increase population

As a healer my AP scores are more of a trickling brook than bubbling stream, so I have no problem with that!
    I agree 100% with the exposure. Battlegrounds are over-shadowed by Cyrodil during Mayhem events. Particularly for PvE players because the FOMO & the push is there to ride the double AP trains and zerg in Cyro.
    My suggestion for the percentage of the bonus XP (or automatically getting the full daily XP bonus if you've completed 3 BG matches, even if you came in 3rd) came more from the idea of adding perceived value for PvE players. The "chance" at the bonus, for the inexperienced PvP players feels cheap. As I mentioned, that's 97% of my ESO friends/guldies. I'm regularly asking if anyone wants to join my random BGs, but don't often get takers, since I'm definitely not the one carrying the team to 1st or 2nd place.
    The carrot of outfit style pages and emotes is very, very appealing for PvE players. They are just afraid of the stick because it turns out it was actually Volendrung all along. But the fashion lures them slowly.

Extra AP rewards as you suggest may work, but if you're trying to increase the population of BGs through people already playing the game, you're talking PvErs and that daily purple bonus XP is HUGE (plus transmutes). While that player is on to do their random normal, if you can also get them to queue for a random BG before they character swap to run the next random normal for the XP Bonus, you've increased the population. If they start running both randoms on multiple characters, instead of just the dungeon, you get variety of classes too.

Side note- Next PvP event ZOS should offer a small discount on armory slots to encourage people to create a PvP specific build.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like cyrodill, exposure to bad gameplay helps nothing, and does do long term damage. That aside rewards are a side aspect only , but that aspect has to be interesting and encourage repeat play, e.g ladders, engaging visualisations of progress, multiple layers of rewards not just daily rewards and a notification or 2.
  • WordsOfPower
    WordsOfPower
    ✭✭✭

Doom and gloom mindset isn't the answer either. We have tried deathmatch only. It actually decreased the population.

Only because the random queue backfilled into DM.

You can't blame DM only queue for something that wasn't its fault.

The player base is divided in its fundamental mentality. That can't be fixed. Some people like game modes where running to empty flags is a viable strategy, and some people like fighting each other.

These cannot be reconciled. So accept the division, and fix the queue system.

As for the event suggestion by the OP, if the queues were split again and then ZoS made an event, it would still be a bad idea without educating the BG-curious player base as to what they need to be competitive.

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To increase the population we should have a battlegrounds only short even like how undaunted event but for battlegrounds

This will promote new people into battlegrounds so we can have new modes or even more queues someday

..and they will be out of there the moment the event ends.

The only way to populate battlegrounds (that I can think of) is to give us a proper reward chart. Like a guaranteed legendary mat on the first battleground run, with a lower rate for the following runs, I'd definitely prefer battlegrounds over daily writs.

Or let them give us special tokens that we can exchange for any gear that exists in the game - PVP players will be delighted to farm in there instead of doing pledges or trials or other PVE stuff.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

The only way to populate battlegrounds (that I can think of) is to give us a proper reward chart. Like a guaranteed legendary mat on the first battleground run, with a lower rate for the following runs, I'd definitely prefer battlegrounds over daily writs.

Or let them give us special tokens that we can exchange for any gear that exists in the game - PVP players will be delighted to farm in there instead of doing pledges or trials or other PVE stuff.

Newer players don't know about battlegrounds. There's no mail like cydrolli
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A short event won't fix that. They should create a similar email for battlegrounds describing all the awesome rewards you can get.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A short event won't fix that. They should create a similar email for battlegrounds describing all the awesome rewards you can get.

What cool rewards I sell most of them and dismantle the rest for crafting
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not lol. Most players have tried BGs and then quit for various reasons. The population in there is abysmal for those same reasons. Nothing changed.

A BG’s event is the one chance ZOS gets where a steady population will queue back into BGs. If these players see that nothing improved, it only reinforces their reasoning for why they originally quit BGs. Cyrodiil is already in this position which is why the population skyrockets during Midyear Mayhem. The players are there.... the PvP content just sucks too much to care about atm.

Improve PvP, then have an entire PvP chapter imo.

• FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Definitely not lol. Most players have tried BGs and then quit for various reasons. The population in there is abysmal for those same reasons. Nothing changed.

A BG’s event is the one chance ZOS gets where a steady population will queue back into BGs. If these players see that nothing improved, it only reinforces their reasoning for why they originally quit BGs. Cyrodiil is already in this position which is why the population skyrockets during Midyear Mayhem. The players are there.... the PvP content just sucks too much to care about atm.

What's wrong with it?
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's wrong with it?
    I’ll try to summarize but I still wrote a few things off the top of my head.
    Leaderboard/Medal Scoring. May as well rename leaderboards to “Matches Played” since this matters most. Also if you play the correct build aka a Crit Heal medal spammer you can get consistently insane points.

MMR is a mess. Did you play too much on one character? Now you can barely play on them anymore. I have a Magden who barely finds matches but my Mag Sorc finds them easily when there are other people playing. Also, not true visible BGs rank.

Bad Objective modes. There are modes which incentivize avoiding PvP to win due to the size of maps and small team sizes. It’s almost always better to run to the next flag rather than defending one. Some objective modes are so obnoxious that players turn the game into a fake Deathmatch so they can get some enjoyment out of it.

Only 4v4v4......
    I hope I don’t need to tell anyone why this is horrible but I’ll list just a few things:
    1. Deathmatch. Team A and Team B are full of skilled players. Team C has bad players. This means Team C has now turned into a score farm for the other teams. The match is now ruined.
    2. Objective. Team A and Team B understand their best chance to win is to avoid PvP. Team C does not understand this and drags Team A into a battle on one flag. Great, now Team B wins the game because they grabbed all flags, avoiding PvP. Terrible experience.
    3. Where is 4v4? 5v5? These along with competitive leaderboards based on victory are huge incentives for PvP popularity. What about 12v12? 2v2v2v2? There are many unique situations present in other games which do not exist here. We get only one way to play and it is a weird 4v4v4.

Rewards. This is an issue in endgame PvE too but it is especially an issue for PvP. Where’s the Mounts? Costumes? Unique ability skins? It’s just sad and not worth it for the sake of rewards.

Lastly.... Loadouts. Not everyone will agree with this one at first but this is how you create balance. It also allows the Devs to create fun game modes where maybe everyone it a permanent Bone Goliath, or maybe all we get to use are Templar radiant destruction beams with massive Spell Damage. In other words the game is balanced since we have a selection of possible skills/sets, and also there is room fun.

Just my thoughts.

People tend to forget this game has a massive population. You don’t see it in BGs or Cyrodiil though.

My favorite memories of PvP are from Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2... both of these games found their own recipe for success when it comes to multiplayer.

All ESO does is enable/disable CPs or which game modes you can queue for lol.
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's wrong with it?

there is a saying , no smoke without fire. New players don't stay and the population is low and decreasing.

Issues you don't see in other games:

performance issues/input lag
    Build issues every release, e.g Dark convergance.
    Gameplay issues, 3 teams, poor map layout etc.
    No split between PVP and PVE skills/builds
    Heavily build dependant, ie perversely vets have a build advantage over new players (other games standardise builds)
    Animation cancelling
    Poor reward systems, poor visualisation of reward systems

and as a result, in addition:

Poor choice (catch-22 - caused by above)
    Poor MMR and matchmaking, i.e vets v new players (catch-22 - caused by above)
    Edited by _adhyffbjjjf12 on May 14, 2022 10:55AM