The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Lagged Fix for real?

Deltia
Deltia
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't want to be placebo effect guy here, but does anyone else notice a positive difference in Cyrodiil performance
after Tuesday's hardware refresh?

I played all day today, zero crashes, 70-90 ping with some dips in FPS, but only one increase in ping. I played pop locked, prime time, off time, ball group fights and keep take overs with scrolls. Buttery smooth. What has the community noticed? Maybe wishful thinking, but this performance increase is 100x better than anything I expected and seeing 44 in the que for an off night in Cyrodiil has me excited. What's your opinion?

qcvtsblkkjcj.png

In-game @deltiasgaming | deltiasgaming.com for Elder Scrolls Online [ESO / TESO] Guides
"It's a good day to be alive"
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had a chance to get on. Been too busy. But friends have all said it's been great. I have a terrifying feeling like I'm going to miss it like it's just a post downtime bump and it all will be back to crap by the weekend
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually improved, they did it, it finally happened, it's not a placebo effect either. Like I legit haven't had any lag since the downtime. I've heard some people say they are still getting ping spikes and delayed skills during heavy mass PvP but I have to wonder if if it's the server actually lagging or if it's something on their end. Either way it's def very vast improvement for most players.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Nevidyra
    Nevidyra
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was triple poplocked with 50+ deep queues and I was having zero ability delay at at keep with 70+ players fighting. My FPS did go down to 30-40 frames with a ton of players fighting (I averaged 120fps even in these high load situations), but there was no ping spike or server lag and it genuinely felt amazing. I will happily trade FPS for this increased sever performance.

Praise ZOS. They finally did it.
    -PC/NA/AD-
    CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
    Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
    Gryphon Heart [✅]
    Godslayer [WIP]
    Dawnbringer [N/A]

• divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok here comes the real question: if that's just hardware update, why it wasn't done years ago? :neutral:
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh you guys actually made me sign into this lol. Can we get video and clips of prime time cyrodiil? Show some zerg on zerg action. Not gonna believe it until I see clips and waaaay more people talk about it. Also: jgoahciwqxdd.jpg
  • Breakwell
    Breakwell
    ✭✭✭
    Is this coming to console?
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was just in a pretty heavy fight in CP Cyrodiil, and it was AMAZING. I had oh so slight lag, but it ran so smoothly. I could actually react to things.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont cyrodiil much anymore these days, but i figured I'd play a bit with my guild last night and I was down to ~40ms in Blackreach. Didn't go into Greyhost at all, but Blackreach was still pop locked and there was no lag at all. It was pretty exciting to see because if it really, truly, honest to God runs better now, Cyrodiil has a promising future.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breakwell wrote: »
    Is this coming to console?

Yes but with delays this is what the wrote :

We will be performing the PC EU and console datacenter hardware refresh as soon as we can, but as timelines for ordering/sourcing server hardware is still incredibly long, we don’t have a firm date for those yet. As soon as we have any additional information to pass along to all of you, we will do so.
    Edited by WoppaBoem on May 5, 2022 1:00PM
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's honestly been really good but still needs work. There is fps drops and audio tearing but you can cast skills. I went to the largest fight last night in prime time and had 0 lag, 0 skill delay, fps dipped a little and audio was messed up but even with around 100 people and the hammer at the fight the game was smooth. For the first time in a few years pvp was actually fun!
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on friends from the USA….keep messaging as it’s getting quite exciting
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed this as well. Skill delay is nearly gone and desyncs are much less common. The Queue bug is more frequent and there is some stuttering, but overall performance seems to be much improved. We will see how things feel during the weekend primetime tho so far so good.

NJ, Zos so far!
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    Here comes all EU players to flood NA back to a lag fest. I wonder when EU will get this server stuff updated
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys are lucky then. Im still getting skills not firing, pots/ultis not going and big load screens. I will say the fps and ping seem more stable and by bars actually swap most of the time.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, after another day of Grey Host, the server lag was completely gone. The only lag that existed was my client dropping frames because my rig couldn't keep up with the absolute carnage that was happening. Everything skillwise was buttery smooth.

It felt wonderful.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not perfect, but its at least as good as the best nights before the so called year of performance where desyncs went wild

• MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    On PS EU we all ragequitted yesterday, because the game was really, really not playable. Like for real we have a high tolerance but you just couldnt do anything anymore starting at 8pm uk.

Hope they will do for us, whatever they have changed for yous soon too.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's hope and this is the best change we've had in years!!
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    I started account on NA its more lag free even with a 150ping compared to eu, although too much time invested in EU so will likey be on there when EU servers are down if anything
    Edited by Elrond87 on May 6, 2022 7:02PM
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elrond87 wrote: »
    Here comes all EU players to flood NA back to a lag fest. I wonder when EU will get this server stuff updated

Can't come soon enough,but in the meantime........

qq94fiu.gif
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Ok here comes the real question: if that's just hardware update, why it wasn't done years ago? :neutral:

Because the hardware was not end-of-life. Businesses hate, hate, hate to make capital investment that they feel is not strictly necessary. They see development efforts as a sunk cost. "We are already paying these developers, let them fix it with code! They are already working on balance issues and new content? Tough! Let them work harder!" Whereas new hardware ahead of schedule is a new expenditure that they have to explain to the executives and bean counters.

It is also a bit of a philosophical fight. A lot of times the software really is poorly written. Changes to code really could make a big difference. But the time and effort and complexity and difficulty of enhancing and upgrading old code, probably written by long gone employees, is a big lift. So even if new hardware is the quickest and easiest solution, it is not the cheapest, and just about always the last thing a business will do, usually after all else fails.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally spend very little time in Cyrodiil due to the lag.

This morning I spent the 2 hours running around Cyrodiil on Gray Host (pop was full but I got in immediately) and the server performance was quite good considering how big the fights were. We had an epic 3-faction fight near Bleakers, then EP pushed to recapture Aleswell from DC.

When there were 50+ combatants I was getting 30+ FPS, which is quite playable.

At Aleswell there were at least 100 combatants and lots of siege, and my FPS would sometimes drop to the low 20s, but for the most part it was still quite playable. I asked in zone chat right after what FPS people were getting and they said 30-60. I'm pretty sure my gaming laptop is CPU bound, so most desktop players should see better FPS than me.

It's not difficult to imagine that replacing decade-old hardware made such a noticeable difference. Back then, a fair number of companies were still deploying and managing server farms vs going cloud. The latter allows for much more dynamic scaling, assuming the software was architecture in a way that can leverage it (I would assume mostly yes).
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dagoth_Rac ikr. Which infuriates me. I'm fairly sure they would be able to buy new servers from the money they get from PvP players. Yet they chose to ignore all the issues and let the population dwim.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a three way Zerg fight last night in Raven watch and somewhere around the middle of it I stopped and said to myself -- wait no lag? What's going on here?

Don't be suspicious ...
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dagoth_Rac ikr. Which infuriates me. I'm fairly sure they would be able to buy new servers from the money they get from PvP players. Yet they chose to ignore all the issues and let the population dwim.

I would guess that the investment in new hardware is dwarvened by the money they spilled into the rewriting of the software.
    I don´t understand this decision either.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. All they had to do for the past 4-5 years was open their wallet and the lag would have been gone.

Also they began a project early this year to rework a ton of foundational code.

Honestly it sounds like they weren’t sure about whether to keep on supporting ESO or not, and now they finally came to the decision to invest again.
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I responded on your Youtube channel D... and thanks for posting or a lot of us would never have known pvp was viable again in ESO :)

Yes, lag has totally gone. It's worth playing ESO again. Even for Pacific users.

The hammer seems to be causing problems in itself -framerate crashing, sound crashing remains.

The random kicks happened to people in our team and in our faction still.

At one point, none of my skill bars worked at all -had to die to clear that.

The queue is still freezing for some people.

• HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    Lag is not gone. I'm playing with my wife on PC NA and we live in EU. Ping didn't reduce, but its more stable and doesn't skyrocket anymore at small scale fights. Ball groups, zergs, and keep fights cause sounds to break and people to crash very fast, hammer makes it worse. With so many effects going on from countless people spamming skills, set effects and sieges, it must be related to everything coming together.

I'm playing with my wife and we both played magplar. Its still close to impossible to land every jab tick. Sweep misses most of the time as well. Skills fire faster now but hits not registering seems to get close to the point how it was before the hardware update once too many players are around. Since everyone (even ball groups) run swift and movement speed buffs on top and LoSing while rushing like speedy gonzales and doing ring around the rosie for hours at every tree, wall, and stair. Also can't really enjoy big fights with soundbars going crazy and players rubberbanding all over the place and a crash streak making you unable to log back in.

Its better and there hasn't been any improvement to performance in Cyrodiil as far as I can remember so its a plus. Though people praising it like its the holy grail of performance for PvP but this is absolutely not the case. The hardware update is not enough so I hope there is more to come. Especially since the improvement is just side effect that was neither expected nor intended by ZoS.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag is not gone. I'm playing with my wife on PC NA and we live in EU.

Sorry to deliver bad news for you, but it will always lag for you even with perfect servers, because internet connection from continents isn't good enough for action games.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lag is not gone. I'm playing with my wife on PC NA and we live in EU.

Sorry to deliver bad news for you, but it will always lag for you even with perfect servers, because internet connection from continents isn't good enough for action games.

That's just common sense. But I do think the lag fix is way more impactful for players that live far from the servers compared to those already in the US. For NA players there is a small improvement from maybe 150 ping to 80 ping (inconvenient -> awesome). My ping from Australia has gone from 400-500 to 280 stable (almost unplayable -> pretty good). Guess what I'm trying to say is there are diminishing returns for reducing lag - the most noticeable thing is a lot more players are now above the minimum performance threshold to be able to actually play properly.