The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the majority of Cyrodiil actually carried by lag?

Cuddlypuff
Cuddlypuff
✭✭✭✭
Starting off with some sensible assumptions:
1. Most people in Cyrodiil are in large groups (4-12 members) or faction stacked.
2. In primetime (or pretty much all the time now with the current game performance), <50% of skills actually register on time*.
3. In lag, groups/zergs can still get enough skills off for burst/survival while solos/duos can't.
4. Solos/duos can't afford to "build for lag" ie more hp/sustain as it is already so hard to kill in the current tank/heal meta, but group players can.

*Just my experience playing from Australia. I don't know if it's actually that bad for everyone else.

So that got me thinking about these groups that get absolutely dumpstered Xv2 during lag free times, but transform into unkillable gods during lag. Do they actually enjoy lag because it lets them survive longer? And due to their advantage in lag, they've stayed on and formed the majority of the remaining population in Cyrodiil? I've barely seen any 1vXers on and even when I see skilled players, they're not as successful as they were before. Is the natural consequence of bad Cyrodiil performance just faction stacks vs doors / low pop to take advantage of the lag created?
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can assure you that groups hate this lag as much as everyone else. It seriously interferes with our fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72kcJH5LqI
  • Gederic
    Gederic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag essentially ensures even the biggest of baked potatoes live a little longer because nobody can execute any skills on them nonetheless a combo to burst them.. That is until the server catches up and they randomly explode from 5 minutes of skills finally hitting them.
    Edited by Gederic on May 3, 2022 1:52PM
    Ours is the Fury
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    4-6 members is not a large group,
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Without getting into semantics, you just need 2 DDs to kill most stuff in PVP (assuming all necessary burst goes off in the 1 GCD window). Any DDs on top of that are just for insurance in case of lag - so balls might run 3-4 total for example. Rest are supports, so the larger the group - the more buffs/hot stacks/synergies/defensive ults etc to help you survive.
    I can assure you that groups hate this lag as much as everyone else. It seriously interferes with our fights.

Yeah I totally understand that if you're an actual bomb ball trying to farm the opposite faction stack. There's very few of those on each server. I'm referring to typical 40-100 member PvDoor zergs composed of tanky pugs spamming crossheals and cc, lagging out the <10 defenders.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »

Without getting into semantics, you just need 2 DDs to kill most stuff in PVP (assuming all necessary burst goes off in the 1 GCD window). Any DDs on top of that are just for insurance in case of lag - so balls might run 3-4 total for example. Rest are supports, so the larger the group - the more buffs/hot stacks/synergies/defensive ults etc to help you survive.

Considering the number of players who show up to defend a keep 4 players is hardly a large group and going up against a group that is actually a large, ~12 members, a group of 4-6 is truly small to medium size. Though they can handle that larger group if they are well organized in comparison.

This also means a 2DD group can handle most stuff depending on what that stuff is and how well they play and play together. Against a group of 10 that is well organized and knows how to play, they will find it very challenging. Against a less experienced group that is merely running together, they should have no problem.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    This post is starting to look awfully prophetic now. Hopefully the improvement in lag will finally end the silly faction stack PvDoor meta that's plagued Cyrodiil for months now...
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to play world of warcraft with addons many years ago, and switched to eso on playstation (big mistake). So i am not used to addons anymore. But this looks just crazy. How can you play like this? I can not see the game and would get a seizure playing for more than 5 minutes.

But yes, lag is bad and frustrating. And too many fights are lag vs lag instead of player vs player.