Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

For those of you with Multiple Accounts

Nestor
Nestor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am on PC, I have 10 accounts, so that I can have a private guild.

I have noticed something weird with my Alt Accounts. Note, my main account works just fine and has none of these issues.

1. I can't make changes to the Audio Settings like for NPC Dialog and Ambient Effects and have them stick. They are set to 0. If I change the settings, leave the menu, they revert back to 0.
2. Some of my addons have Lib Issues, but the addons that do are different between Alts.

So, where does one go for the config files and addon files for Alt Accounts? Or, has anyone noticed this issue and figure out a fix?

I don't normally play my Alt accounts, the characters are just parked. But, someday, because of AWA, I might want to play one of them.
Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it might not be properly saving the usersetting.txt for the game audio settings

im not sure about the addons, unless some of your alt accts have some of the libs turned off for whatever reason?, maybe the addonSettings.txt is having problems here

i know i was having an issue with one addon where it would no longer save changes i made (it had customizable xp bars, and wouldnt save changes to turn some of them off), so i had to fully delete the saved variable file for that addon to be able to fix it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserSettings.txt and other .lua files are for that computer. You could either install ESO into different locations or onto a different computer to get a completely 'separate' environment.

Many addons are account specific - for instance, Dressing Room (yes I know, I'm old) has settings per account for your different chars on each account and it manages them fine. Not all addons are this way.

For audio, that should be specific to the computer you are using - more properly, to the install point of ESO you are using. Since it is just a text file and can be easily edited via Notepad++, you can update the file before loading ESO with the alt accounts... BUT...

If you are running multiple ESO sessions (yes, guilty) on the same computer from the same install point, then the one that logs off first wins. Seems backasswards, but that's how it appears to work.

I would love some confirmation on the above statement. I would so like to be wrong but my empirical testing shows that the UserSettings.txt file is edited when the first session opened is /quit.

Hope that helps.
    Ray
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and btw... only 10?
    Ray
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 accounts, and actively play 2 of them. Ok, I semi-actively play the second one during events to get and store drops. I too notice weird things with the user settings and addons on the alt accounts, but I don’t have the issue of changes not sticking after I’ve sorted things out.

The settings are all saved in the same place as your main. The UserSettings.txt file is client-wide and doesn’t contain or impact different logins on that machine. Whatever your main is set at for those items will apply to all game client sessions. If changes aren’t sticking, ensure that file isn’t locked to read-only.

Your addon and game settings are in the Saved Variable folder for all accounts on that machine. The ZO_Pregame and ZO_Ingame exist for everyone and have account and character specific settings. Check those to ensure all of your alt accounts are represented. If not, check permissions and make sure those aren’t read only.

The other files in Saved Variables will be for your specific addons. Most will have defined default values at the top level, indicating that those settings apply to all logins on that machine except where otherwise specified, then have account and character specific settings down line, if applicable for that addon. Check the files for the addons you are having issues and see if your alt accounts are listed. If you have a Lua editor or notepad++ you can hand copy settings from your main to apply to your alt accounts if you want to do it in text instead of in the game UI. You could even do it in notepad or word if you are so inclined.

If these don’t get you on the right path, I’m out of ideas. Good luck.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a rediculous amount of alts omg
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »

Not when they aren’t played. During sales you can pick up a game license for $5, and have legit accounts for a guild roster. You can do the same with free accounts during trial periods but might get your guild closed down for unintended use of free accounts. But once you’ve paid for that account license you can do whatever you want with it within the TOS, including just parking it in the starter location and hanging out on guild rosters.

Edited to avoid inadvertent triggering of the censor. Shut. The word I meant was shut :D
    Edited by Reverb on May 3, 2022 5:27PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    adirondack wrote: »

I would love some confirmation on the above statement. I would so like to be wrong but my empirical testing shows that the UserSettings.txt file is edited when the first session opened is /quit.

Hope that helps.

Thing that is weird about this is, when I go to change the settings in the game, like for NPC Dialog, it won't stick on the Alt Accounts, it reverts as soon as I close the file. But, if I log to my main account, it all works as intended I can change what I want and it sticks. So, I don't think the first log sets the file.

Another weirdity, I can change things like Prevent Attacking Innocents or Turn off Tutorials, those stick. Just weird.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    adirondack wrote: »
    and btw... only 10?

LOL, It is what I need for a Personal Guild. I am not the type to harange random players to join a guild I have no desire to do anything with but have a private bank.
    sinnereso wrote: »

They sat for 26 months after I created the accounts. So, not playing them. I only cycled through them recently because I wanted to keep them fresh. Then of course I decided to start training the horse, so I logged for Daily rewards that gave me some gold, so something tells me the slope is slippery and I am sitting on a boogie board.....

• adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think of all the writs you could do each day
    Ray