The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How do people feel about the Occult Overload (CP) change on PTS

Vizir
Vizir
✭✭✭
Curious to know what people think of it.

"Occult Overload: This node now deals 2560 Oblivion Damage per stage with 5 stages at 10 points per stage, rather than 2000 Oblivion damage per stage with 2 stages at 25 points per stage."

So a buff from 4000 max to 12800 in a 4 m radius.

Can see it being very good in conjunction with dcon users and to a lesser extent nb bombers. While both plaguebreak and VD have a larger radius, 8m and 5m respectively, the ability to either run another set entirely or of course run one of those and the CP will be quite powerful.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is broken and it should be changed from oblivion damage to normal damage, like magic damage.

If I get it right, oblivion goes through battle spirit. It will be on every cyro build, bomber or not.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a PVP'er, "Outheal that!" would be my first thought. Unsure what else would come to mind.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone know if occult overload procs from siege weapons also?

i used to love when VD procced off siege...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    This is broken and it should be changed from oblivion damage to normal damage, like magic damage.

If I get it right, oblivion goes through battle spirit. It will be on every cyro build, bomber or not.

I normally only slot it on my toons that can actually do enough damage to kill folks, not so useful for small scale...

now if it does proc on siege - that would be real helpful...

I find myself doing a lot of solo defending (everyone loves taking flags)...

sometimes if you get an inexperienced group knocking on the door, you can pour double flaming oils and wipe a couple, make a bunch of AP, and hopefully slow things up enough for the barbarians at the gate for more allies to show up and help...

occult overload helps a bunch defending doors and flags...
    Edited by geonsocal on April 30, 2022 11:04PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bombing is already so easy I'd almost feel bad if this goes live....
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was this announced in patch notes? It will definitely be nice for individual bombers, but imagine ball groups running with that.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was this announced in patch notes? It will definitely be nice for individual bombers, but imagine ball groups running with that.

They still need to get a kill first lol
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the buffs ZOS! Us ball groupers really needed it! Looking forward to seeing Ocult Overlord overtake VD in my logs!

Does anyone think through these changes before they're proposed?
  • Avdir
    Avdir
    Soul Shriven
    It brokey and shouldn't go live
    Hi I play with Cutest Boys

nvm guild died again lmao
  • Vizir
    Vizir
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the buffs ZOS! Us ball groupers really needed it! Looking forward to seeing Ocult Overlord overtake VD in my logs!

I'm guessing you are still planning on using VD in conjunction with this? Or would it be too much investing into an on kill death effect and you'd be better off going another set for more damage to make it easier to proc occult overload? Although VD with a 5m radius can proc occult overload too so it probably is worth it. But then you'd still have aoe damage being done to everybody in that radius and so maybe the aoe damage + occult overload + VD is too much?

It's on the pts right now.
    geonsocal wrote: »

I normally only slot it on my toons that can actually do enough damage to kill folks, not so useful for small scale...

sometimes if you get an inexperienced group knocking on the door, you can pour double flaming oils and wipe a couple, make a bunch of AP, and hopefully slow things up enough for the barbarians at the gate for more allies to show up and help...

Well depending on small scale it would still work well if there is a necro bomber or warden using spin to win. And can funnel people fairly close together in resource towers around the 2nd level, keep walls or even open terrain using rocks and trees.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Love it, more tools to wipe zergs.

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be pretty strong and I will definitely consider slotting it if it remains as is. The added AOE pressure is too strong to ignore, especially in outnumbered situations. Or with AOE type builds, like a warden dropping shalks and dawny and spin to win, already punishing, even more so with added 10K damage on top after a kill.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t tested it on PTS, but I have that star slotted on most of my pvp toons in its current state.

Currently Occult Overload is the top question I get whispered about in pvp, with people asking what it is because it shows up on their recap. Kill Counter shows that it is my 6th most frequent killing blow on toons with an execute, and the 4th most frequent on my DK.

Despite not being widely known or used, my experience make me feel that the current state is plenty strong, possibly a little overtuned. These new changes are bringing a lot more familiarity to it, and makes it stronger. We can expect it to start showing up in every recap.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Vizir
    Vizir
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I haven’t tested it on PTS, but I have that star slotted on most of my pvp toons in its current state.

Currently Occult Overload is the top question I get whispered about in pvp, with people asking what it is because it shows up on their recap. Kill Counter shows that it is my 6th most frequent killing blow on toons with an execute, and the 4th most frequent on my DK.

Despite not being widely known or used, my experience make me feel that the current state is plenty strong, possibly a little overtuned. These new changes are bringing a lot more familiarity to it, and makes it stronger. We can expect it to start showing up in every recap.

Interesting, I figured that with it only being 4k dmg in a 4m radius on live it wasn't worth it. On live on all my builds I run the standard 10% dmg/dmg reduction/healing cp's. But on pts with the dmg/dmg reduction cp nerfed to 6% and this buffed it will almost certainly get a slot.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizir wrote: »

I'm guessing you are still planning on using VD in conjunction with this? Or would it be too much investing into an on kill death effect and you'd be better off going another set for more damage to make it easier to proc occult overload? Although VD with a 5m radius can proc occult overload too so it probably is worth it. But then you'd still have aoe damage being done to everybody in that radius and so maybe the aoe damage + occult overload + VD is too much?

It's on the pts right now.
    geonsocal wrote: »

Well depending on small scale it would still work well if there is a necro bomber or warden using spin to win. And can funnel people fairly close together in resource towers around the 2nd level, keep walls or even open terrain using rocks and trees.

We have it slotted current on all our damage builds with and without VD. So this is just going to be an overall increase in our damage.

For the record in our logs VD hits for an average of 7-10k. Right now Occult Overload adds 4k on top of that. So if this goes live when we kill someone we get an increase of ~9k, unresisted and unblockable damage, which will be obscene.

But you do raise a good point about this potentially being overkill
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Occult Overload: This node now deals 2560 Oblivion Damage per stage with 5 stages at 10 points per stage, rather than 2000 Oblivion damage per stage with 2 stages at 25 points per stage."

Can see it being very good in conjunction with dcon users and to a lesser extent nb bombers. While both plaguebreak and VD have a larger radius, 8m and 5m respectively, the ability to either run another set entirely or of course run one of those and the CP will be quite powerful.

NB bomber running VD or PB. This change will make PB deadlier at range as well. It is designed to help destroy ball groups.

I recommend running Sew & Sunder along with PB on a ranged character. Watch the Ball Groups fall as you hit 20K+ pen and send exploding disease balls at them.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on May 3, 2022 5:32PM
  • Vizir
    Vizir
    ✭✭✭

NB bomber running VD or PB. This change will make PB deadlier at range as well.

It would only indirectly buff plaguebreak, making people more likely to die after the first person already died from the combined plague and occult overload but with the relatively short radius it won't be that powerful outside of bombing people repping.
    It is designed to help destroy ball groups.

I think it was designed for pve to offset the reduction in damaging cp potency. I don't think it will have that much of an impact in killing ball groups as for the most part they either are pulled away/ lose track of group and are killed individually, have a few members bombed in which case this would have some effect if surviving members are caught in it or a good chunk get bombed in a negate or something and enough die that the group disintegrates shortly thereafter. In the first and third scenario occult overload is useless. Occult overload also can only proc on kills and so even if you bomb a group you might not proc it. Ball groups have a much better idea on who will trigger the kill procs as they have smaller numbers and can coordinate that. If you bomb and some rando uses mages fury, no occult overload.
    I recommend running Sew & Sunder along with PB on a ranged character. Watch the Ball Groups fall as you hit 20K+ pen and send exploding disease balls at them.

What exploding disease balls? Velidreth? That build still relies on getting a kill and to be relevant in this conversation about occult overload, you'd have to get the killing blow, which is easier said than done.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NB bomber running VD or PB. This change will make PB deadlier at range as well. It is designed to help destroy ball groups.

Ball groups will use this buff to wipe everyone in their path.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr