The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Unofficial] Necromancer Feedback Thread

VaxtinTheWolf
VaxtinTheWolf
✭✭✭✭✭
The purpose of this thread is to give you a place to post your current top two pain points with the Necromancer. Our new Class Representatives will be keeping a close eye on this thread, and will utilize it to gather additional feedback for the notes they’re currently compiling for their first meeting with the Dev Team next week. Please be sure and keep your post clear and succinct, and focus more on what is currently frustrating you rather than potential solutions. Thanks!

The Necromancer wasn't around when the initial set of threads were created for all of the other classes back in May 2018. Additionally, the 'Class Rep' program has basically fallen into ruin over the years and may not even be active anymore, or at least not publically, and as far as I'm aware this class wasn't given an official Necromancer Representative either. Now I'm certainly not volunteering for that role myself but until ZOS decides make Gina create their own official thread, I'm offering this one in the meantime as a substitute for people to voice their opinions. Just created this topic since someone else was looking for it in the Nightblade thread earlier, I briefly looked to see if one existed but didn't see an official one so here we are.

Good luck to anyone wanting to share their thoughts here, assuming this thread isn't immediately locked. Maybe by some miracle the staff will 'forward this discussion to the appropriate teams' as they say; and one day perhaps some of those frustrations will be seriously investigated.

[Edit] After looking into it a little further, I did find a thread that was started by Tasear in June 2019, however it seems to have also died within that same year- well actually within that same month even. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/478313/unofficial-necromancer-feedback-thread/p1
Edited by ZOS_Exile on April 28, 2022 1:00PM
|| AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
|| DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
|| EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well what can I say? [snip] Every time I create a topic, they write to me that nothing needs to be fixed. The class is incredibly strong. Where is he strong? You don't have enough damage to kill the enemy. If you know how to nightmare noobs, then your tricks will not work against ordinary players. If before you could increase dps with Wrath of Elements set. Or create a build through heavy attacks. Now you have no choice. The necromancer has two damaging abilities. TWO CARLS. Skeleton and synergy... I have a whole collection of jewelry for harmony. Because I can't create another assembly. They just don't work. Even synergy is needed only for glass cannons. It deals 7000 damage in normal PvP with the Harmony Trait and has a 20 second cooldown. As a result, we return to the glass cannon.

This class is visited to blow up the crowd of players with the Dark Convergence set. [snip]. Did they add anything to it? Have you changed Ruinous Scythe? Now this class will terrify the entire Cyrodiil. But the truth is that removing the Dark Convergence set immediately turns the Necromancer into the worst class in the game. I've tried many necromancer mana builds and when you lower seventy percent of an enemy's life even further, you don't have enough damage to kill the enemy. You don't have a finisher, you don't have high dps. The Necromancer deals 3x less damage in PvP than any other class. No normal control, last hits, escape, high dps damage.
    As a result, I collected different assemblies for this class. I tried to look at this class differently and kept coming back to the Dark Convergence set. You can survive well, but what's the point?? In any situation in the battle against any class, you simply have nothing to resist them.

The necromancer has a lot of non-working and not interesting mechanics. You can find a lot of NB and Sorс, but you'll find few Necromancers and even less variety in his mechanics. [snip] Since the creation of the necromancer, he has only gotten worse each time and heavily dependent on procs from sets like Elemental Wrath, Dark Convergence. I don't even mind if the skeletons and synergy were nerfed, but they added more offensive abilities and normal control.

I'm tired. [snip] Changing sets doesn't change your gameplay. And the necromancer with his two abilities just does zero diversity.

Hope for your support. And suggest your changes.

[edited for Trolling/Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Exile on April 28, 2022 12:55PM
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not to mention bugs...so many bugs. Every skill has at least 1 bug attached to it. Necromancer is still in beta
    Edited by Ankael07 on April 28, 2022 10:23AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • ZOS_Exile
    ZOS_Exile
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of trolling and bashing comments that were derailing the thread. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and keep the rules in mind when posting. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Exile with your comment, my post added at least a gram of strength. I won't be offended even if I get banned, but still change the abilities of this class. My appeal is an empty request. Neither the players nor the administration pay attention to this class. Most abilities are just useless in pvp. Of this class, the ranged fighter is much worse. And he is so tied to synergy that it is simply impossible to play without it.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to warn them that forum moderators can get pretty jumpy about being on topic but it seems it was already addressed by the time I noticed. Interesting to see what got removed when you still had the page open before. So while many might want to point at what appears to be a longstanding detachment in terms of expectation-vs-reality going on with various sections of gameplay, lets try to adhere to general feedback about the class.

Also @Melzo If you are not aware, you can edit your post after reloading the page. A small gear icon will appear at the top right of your post so you don't have to make back-to-back posts like that.

Anyway, to add something here- My Necromancer has been lv4 since the launch of Elsweyr as it was quickly turned into a 'mule' due to desperation for more inventory without relying on ESO+, but I have seen other discussions in which the Magicka morph of Blastbones had been mentioned a few times before. It seems for a little while now, it hasn't really felt rewarding to use, and can be difficult to take advantage of the bonus damage granted on distance traveled so perhaps that'd be something to look into.

I've also noticed some gripes with how the summoner aspect of the class felt lacking compared to other imaginings of what a Necromancer could be. Something I thought of was that maybe if the class were to act more like a puppeteer then that could be pretty interesting; Where you would summon from defeated enemies or parts left on the ground and then bolster them with damage mitigation, or perhaps have it innate to give them lasting durability. Should your puppet get too far away then the link would be broken and it'd just die. I was thinking they'd be linked to the player for their duration, and a % of their damage would be sent to the caster similar to the 'Guard' skill in some manner? but still have their own health to manage. I was sort of asking how could a summoned pet tank with that one though. If having hoards of units is out of the question, then maybe reinforcing the aspect of rising the dead to do your dirty work could freshen things up a tad. Just a loose idea.
    Edited by VaxtinTheWolf on April 28, 2022 1:40PM
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blastbones is the Necromancer's best ability. Many whine about bugs, but there is no doubt about it. The way he collects bones and then runs towards the enemy and explodes. The most epic ability in the game. And when you press the ult "Animate Blastbones" and three more of these peppers run towards the enemy. Ha

I wouldn't say Blastbones' ability hurts the eyes. Yes, there are bugs, but only because of this ability I still play a necromancer

The necromancer's problem is a bunch of useless abilities. Which can be removed and nothing will change.

If you can still use it in pve, then in pvp each necromancer uses the same set of abilities. And the same tactics in pvp. And if you want to play in your own way, then you immediately become weaker by 2 - 3 times in damage. Because there is nothing to change.