Alcast's Venom Build

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
So...moons ago I got tired of trial and error (and wasting time/resources) and made this build, to the letter:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-build-pve/

Minus golding the jewelry, everything else is gold....enchantments and traits are spot on...skills...rotation...the works. Two points to make:

I've never gone past around 58K damage. Ever. CP is now...1113 I think...so the core are all there.

and per the rotation bits:
Prebuff with: 3x Flames of Oblivion to proc Seething Fury (Molten Whip extra Weapon Damage, the only reason why we have Molten Whip slotted)
Endless Hail > LA > Venomous Claw > LA > Flames of Oblivion > Weapon Swap
LA > Deadly Cloak > LA > Noxious Breath > LA > Barbed Trap > LA > 8x Shrouded Daggers (with LA)
Restart

THERE'S NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH TO SUSTAIN 8 SHROUDED DAGGERS.

I know...I've tried....got the potions, using the ultimate's..ya nope. Even just against a parsing atro with Blessings synergy..it is not happening. Is it me? Or the build? Pretty sure it's me...but man....I have no idea on how to get sustain better. Advice por favor.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you using the stamina parse food, lava foot soup?
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of it.....exactly what's on that page.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    He suggests 4 foods, the first food is a flat stat food with no recovery (braised rabbit). That is very hard to run. Which food did you try the parse with?
    Soupy twist
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Three things.
    1) Alcast has been playing ESO forever so some of the stuff he does/expects is not meant for average players.
    2). All of Alcast's builds are meant for group trial content unless otherwise specified. They are built with synergies and buffs in mind from tanks and healers for sustain. His Necro builds are perfect examples of that. The sustain can be impossible in solo content.
    3) Alcast builds are starting spots. All should be adapted to either content and/or your playstyle

My Captain Obvious-level advice, shorten the rotation to what you can do if you want to strictly adhere to the script. Or check out other builds for ideas. Skinnycheeks and likos have some very creative and fun builds
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirming Artaeum did help. Not sure if I'll spend the amount of time to get the recipe though....fishing isn't what I wanna do in a game ;)
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Confirming Artaeum did help. Not sure if I'll spend the amount of time to get the recipe though....fishing isn't what I wanna do in a game ;)

Please look at the comment which said to use 'lava foot soup and saltrice'. You comment about the expensive trial food with +health
    +stam
    +stam recovery

But skip over the food with
    +more stam
    +MORE stam recovery

If the expensive food helps, how much do you think the cheaper but BETTER FOR PARSING food would work? :disappointed:
  • Stump
    Stump
    ✭✭✭
    Ultra dumb question but are you parsing the 21 mil trial dummy? also maybe a CMX screenshot will help us understand what might be missing
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three things.
    1) Alcast has been playing ESO forever so some of the stuff he does/expects is not meant for average players.
    2). All of Alcast's builds are meant for group trial content unless otherwise specified. They are built with synergies and buffs in mind from tanks and healers for sustain. His Necro builds are perfect examples of that. The sustain can be impossible in solo content.
    3) Alcast builds are starting spots. All should be adapted to either content and/or your playstyle

My Captain Obvious-level advice, shorten the rotation to what you can do if you want to strictly adhere to the script. Or check out other builds for ideas. Skinnycheeks and likos have some very creative and fun builds

It's nice to see someone make reference to Alcast and not *** on his builds. All of that is 100% accurate and isn't immediately obvious, especially if you're unfamiliar with the game.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...moons ago I got tired of trial and error (and wasting time/resources) and made this build, to the letter:

Minus golding the jewelry, everything else is gold....enchantments and traits are spot on...skills...rotation...the works. Two points to make:

I've never gone past around 58K damage. Ever. CP is now...1113 I think...so the core are all there.

Prebuff with: 3x Flames of Oblivion to proc Seething Fury (Molten Whip extra Weapon Damage, the only reason why we have Molten Whip slotted)
    LA > Deadly Cloak > LA > Noxious Breath > LA > Barbed Trap > LA > 8x Shrouded Daggers (with LA)
    Restart

I know...I've tried....got the potions, using the ultimate's..ya nope. Even just against a parsing atro with Blessings synergy..it is not happening. Is it me? Or the build? Pretty sure it's me...but man....I have no idea on how to get sustain better. Advice por favor.

I would suggest using Stone Giant, instead. It's half the cost, ranged and your parse may benefit from the debuff that it provides. Shrouded Daggers is great, but it's a huge drain on resources.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many things we don't know. He lists 3 gear combos and 4 foods, and I am still not sure what you are using. If you are parsing, You want the one that is simply max stamina and stamina regeneration, very easy to get. You wont sustain a dummy parse without them on most classes. Your sustain is always better in a good raid, so in actual combat, you can run something with a bit of health if you need.

Also, what dummy are you on? 58k is solid on a 3/6 mil, on a 21 mil health trial dummy, something is going very wrong with with your rotation. DPS and sustain can be a juggling act. If your DPS is below a certain threshold, you simply wont kill the trial dummy before you need to start heavy attacking. The more DPS you have, the less sustain you need. Most trial builds will be pretty much tapped for resources by the time the trial dummy dies. If your DPS is too low, you almost certainly need to mix in some heavy attacks.

Are you on PC? A CMX parse will show stamina gain and drain. It is useful for narrowing down issues both with sustain and your rotation in general. On a trial dummy, are you using synergies as they come up? Do you have your undaunted passives that return resources with synergy use? Are you sure you have your battle roar passives as a DK to return resources with Ultimate use? Are you keeping up Major endurance (via potions) 100% of the time?

One minor trick on classes with tougher sustain (DK is generally not one of them), pop a potion and let it run for about 30 seconds before you start the fight. Then you get that little burst earlier on in the fight. Potions, synergy use, and passives are the big three. In the new meta, you could also look to add a magic skill or two to spread out the resource use a bit.

Nobody wants to believe their rotation is the problem, but without more info, that's where all my money is at currently.
  • Avishag
    Avishag
    ✭✭✭

Restart

I am running "Serpent" from Alcast.
    My question is, do you make 58K damage with light weaving or the rotation is enough?
    I wish a rotation would be enough for hight dps. Because I never heard a good example of the weaving rhythm.. So I cannot do that yet.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Avishag wrote: »

Restart

I am running "Serpent" from Alcast.
    My question is, do you make 58K damage with light weaving or the rotation is enough?
    I wish a rotation would be enough for hight dps. Because I never heard a good example of the weaving rhythm.. So I cannot do that yet.

The timing is like a heartbeat, with a light attack being the first beat, and the skill being the second. You're clicking the skill a fraction of a second after the light attack, (not simultaneously, but close) and then giving like a half second pause after the skill before you repeat it. Most people try to go too fast and usually wind up missing the following light attack. It's a very deliberate timing. You have to give the light attack/skill pairing a small pause to breathe, so to speak, before moving on to the next.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My parse is here thank you!
    e7xhi4ryocl6.png
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My parse is here thank you!
    e7xhi4ryocl6.png

Can you provide a shot of the info tab? Click on the "i" on the right side.

Right off the bat, a few observations. There really isnt much difference between your stam Regen and stam Drain. I wouldnt think you would be running out all that early in the fight. With a fight time of 5.5 minutes, theoretically, you should be able to sustain with an effective drain of 52/second.

Either your pace is slow and/or you are missing a decent number of LAs. You have an effective LA ration of 0.72 (total LAs/number of seconds in fight), which is on the low side of things. That either means you are going slow, missing LAs, or both. The info tab will tell you. I would guess your pace is slow, because your stamina drain is not all that high. Faster pace means higher cast rate, means high drain on stamina.

Are you running weapon power pots? I don't see major endurance or brutality on the upper right, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. They should be 99-100%. You regen is lower than I would expect TBH. I feel like you are missing something obvious in that department.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your DPS is 62K+. That's not bad, especially for a stam DK. That will do fine in all content.

The reason Shrouded Daggers is the main spammable is because it gives Major Brutality. In a raid group, you will have the synergies (shards, orbs, etc) to have the sustain to use a skill that costs 3,780 stamina. If you do not have that support, you should use a potion that gives you Major Brutality with a cheaper skill like Stone Giant (2,295) or Crushing Weapon (2,700). The reason why you would not run Crushing Weapon in a group is because Major Breach will likely come from a tank or healer making it a wasted debuff. Stone Giant is probably the better call if you are having sustain issues and it gives Stagger.

Some older builds would also recommend using Whirling Blades as an execute. Its cheaper (3,510) than Shrouded Daggers and can do more damage based on your CP setup.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I didn't take a snap of the other tab :( Yes..I was running the Essence of Weapon power. After getting the the broth recipe, I did find that sustain was better. I'll try an updated parse and get both screens...hopefully today when things are back up. Really appreciate the help all...thank you!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I didn't take a snap of the other tab :( Yes..I was running the Essence of Weapon power. After getting the the broth recipe, I did find that sustain was better. I'll try an updated parse and get both screens...hopefully today when things are back up. Really appreciate the help all...thank you!

The info tab is the most useful to gauge pace and missed LAs. Honestly my best guess is that your pace is just a bit slow which is making the fight drag on just long enough to cause sustain issues. I think you are just about over the hump, but not quite there.

If you don't have it, I really recommend GCD Bar (Global Cooldown Bar) addon. Its just a little bar that drains at the pace of the global cooldown. It really helps to get your pace up. I personally hit a wall at about .9, and with the addon, was able to get it up to about .94. I don't even need it anymore.

Ideally, if you take your LAs/Total seconds, you will be in the neighborhood of about .95 (theoretical limit is 1.0). Anything above .9 is pretty darn good, anything above .8 is more than acceptable for most things. If you are below .8, you frankly have some work to do if improving your DPS is important to you. Slow pace and missing LAs will both cause that number to be lower. This is the elephant in the room as to why your DPS is in the 60ks.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 3, 2022 5:47PM
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, thanks so much Oreyn...your time and insight is invaluable.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And parses :)

olyz1c42w9pn.png
    wl9xfteoz2te.png
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

olyz1c42w9pn.png
    wl9xfteoz2te.png

If you look where it says Weaving Average: 0.503s, this means you are using a skill every 1.503 seconds. You can use a skill every 1 second, so you're only getting 33% skill damage. The top parses have a weaving average of about 0.05 or less.
    You also managed 144 weapon attacks to 123 skills, meaning at some points you did back to back light attacks instead of weaving light attack > skill.
    Your penetration is about 1700 too low. This can be fixed easily by switching a dagger to a mace, to score 1650 additional penetration and will buff your damage for the parse. Obviously in trial situations it might not be applicable, but for parsing it will.
    Finally, Artaeum Takeaway Broth gives you less stamina and less stamina recovery than Lava foot soup and saltrice.
    Food buffs are not automatically better because they're gold compared to purple or blue, it's more to do with the number of buffs they provide. When you parse, you want the best food you can - which is never the gold food.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thanks for this...as usual I failed to understand that you have to changeup gear/setups for just about EVERYTHING in ESO :) I'll have to work on the maces I think....might have to do a few runs of BDV. Again, thanks so much...really helps.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly one of my biggest challenges is bar swapping....a lot of times this just doesn't fire off when I hit the key to do it.
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    olyz1c42w9pn.png
    wl9xfteoz2te.png

Just a little notion.
    You have white quality enchantements on your Kjalnar helmet and shoulder. Also it's heavy and light, which isn't really good option for DD anymore, so you'd better go with all medium.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye...I will look at that thank you.