The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Quest Line Order (very confused!)

Rhyagell
Rhyagell
✭✭✭
Hello,

I bought the Blackwood collection on Steam and have been trying to get into it. So far, I've mostly just gathered stuff and deconstructed it. Haven't gotten very far in the game, I don't think. But that's because I'm feeling very, very overwhelmed with all of the quests and not knowing what connects to what. My intention was to start from the very beginning, base game, and work up through chronological order of the chapters...that has not been going well. The last thing I did was flea Bleackrock Isle and the smaller-ish thing I last did was fight to defend a town and am now heading to warn Davon's Watch.

Is there any guide on working through the quests in order, so I don't feel like I'm being crushed to death with all of this side content and stuff? Or anything that can help me? I see dozens and dozens of !s all over the map and I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed. Any help?

EDIT

It's been a while since I last played and back then, I only had base game. So there's a lot of new stuff and it's just confusing.
Edited by Rhyagell on April 25, 2022 5:35PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Rhyagell
    Rhyagell
    ✭✭✭

Thank you! I will check it out now! :)
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this would help, but once I'm commited to a quest, particularly a zone quest, I turn off quest giver icons in options, I find them very distracting.
    Seems way too many NPCs vying for my attention, and all it does is frustrate me.
    Once I'm done, then I toggle it back on
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this page for the base game: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Story_Quests#Quest_Map

You're supposed to do the main quest, your Alliances zone quests and the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild all together. I also do all the side quests I can find in each map as I'm going through it, as well as things like delves and world bosses. They don't tie into the story directly but often involve the same factions or otherwise relate to it, plus for me it just makes sense to do them as I'm going past.

DLC and chapter stories are a bit easier, because they go in order of release, but that site also has smaller quest maps for the chapters and story DLC, and for each base game zone's main quests.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you have a lot of quests that you don't want to do, you can always drop them. The game will try to give them to you again.

Note, when doing Zone Story or Main Quests, there are frequently Side Quests offered either near the quest giver or along the way to do the other quest. For example, there is always a Delve Quest and frequently there are town quests. So, do grab those so you don't have to back track and you can gather what you need at the same time for both quests.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VANILLA STORY:

Depending on your alliance, if you were at bleackrock I'm assuming you picked pact. You can check activity finder to continue the main quest of the current zone you're at, if you start from bleackrock you should be good, stick to the main quests and they'll guide you chronologically speaking. Basically you have to get your soul stolen by meeting up with a dude whose name I forgot. You then appear in coldharbour and Lyris helps you escape, then you appear in stonefalls where someone tells you a sailor rescued you, then you go to bleackrock to thank the sailor but the island is under attack, you do all the quests there, and then move to bal foyen, do all the quests and then you're back to stonefalls, there you can do the main quests of the zones, or talk to the prophet, his quests originally waited for you to reach a certain level, now they all begin immediately since tamriel one's update. So basically, you do a quest for the prophet and then you do all zone quests in stonefalls, then you move to deshaan, do a quest for the prophet and all deshaan quests. Then you move to shadowfen, do a quest for the prophet and all shadowfen quests, then you move to eastmarch, prophet, eastmarch, and the final zone is the rift, and again, prophet quest.
    Your quests in the alliance zones end in the rift, so after that you can continue the prophet's timeline, until you gather all alliances for a truce to take on coldharbour and molag bal. It's pretty straightforward from there. After all is said and done, Cadwell will allow you to travel to other alliances (a deprecated concept since the tamriel one update, since you can travel anywhere at any moment).
    My suggestion is that once you're done with the pact zones, you could do the other zones in same order (start in auridon for aldmeri dominion, and glenumbra for covenant), I think you should do those first before continuing the prophet's story because it would make sense if you helped all alliances, making you a perfect moderator for the temporary truce, and also because the prophet's story is supposed to end the planemeld, but that's BS because this is a live service, so the dolmen anchors will always drop, but if you do all alliances and then help the prophet, you can leave those zones after defeating molag bal and never return.

IMPERIAL CITY:
    Weather you like PvP or not, imperial city has the epilogue to Molag Bal's story, you can do all the quests singlehandedly as a PvP mode, but players can and WILL kill you. If you don't care for tel vars (as you shouldn't, there's nothing valuable you can buy with them) then dying a lot by trolls wouldn't be much of an issue. The story zones are protected anyway so players can't kill you in important rooms, but they can while you're exploring.

THIEVES GUILD, DARK BROTHERHOOD AND CRAGLORN
    After you're done with Molag and his petty plans, you can move on to do either Thieve's guild story (start by talking to Quen in any hideout), dark brotherhood in gold coast (start by talking to a girl in the anvil docks), but those are optional, and low morale so you might want to skip those if your character is goody good shoes. Craglorn is an overland group zone, some places might be a bit too challenging (as normal overworld should be all along).

WROTHGAR:
    First major story expansion, you get to see someone attempting to create a dolmen for Molag Bal (and ironically the unfinished dolmen is way harder than the regular dolmens, but that's just a world boss, and not part of the story).

VVARDENFELL:
    First added chapter in the game.
    -Clockwork City is the following region for that chapter

MURKMIRE:
    Small zone, simple story, highly enjoyable

SUMMERSET ISLES
    Second added chapter in the game

ELSWEYR
    Third added chapter in the game
    -South Elsweyr is the following region for that chapter

SKYRIM
    Fourth added chapter in the game
    -Marakarth is the following region for that chapter

BLACKWOOD
    Fifth added chapter in the game
    -Deadlands is the following region for that chapter

The thing about the subsequent chapters is that they can be done in any order, there's nothing that specifies a chronological order, I'd rather do them after the vanilla game.

But again, nothing specific, my brother and I started the pact region, then my brother stopped playing for years (before Vvardenfell) and came back for Blackwood.
    So I pretended he got lost in time so I became a psijic to close all time inconsistencies and find him and pull him back to our timeline, but instead I sent us to the past, where we did Wrothgar first, then murkmire, then blackwood. Wrothgar's unfinished dolmen is the forewarning that the worm cultists are going to start Molag Bal's planemeld. Then we unlocked the city at coldharbour where we took a break so that my brother could tell me the story of when he was 'lost in time' (which is him doing the DC main quests) before we wrap things up and put an end to molag bal.

ALL OF THAT JUST TO SAY
    With enough imagination, you can RP your way into making every event fit chronologically lmao.