The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Balance

Amerises
Amerises
✭✭✭✭
When was PvP most balanced and why?

I PvP a templar, I've used race changes, sunk gold into New gear, farmed New skill points, and used a lot of bar set ups and specs. I'm not really complaining about that, if nothing changed in years, I probably would have gotten bored.

That said, sometimes it feels like changes swing things in such a major way and balance becomes nuts. Dk and Templar are so insanely OP right now, and now it feels like Living Dark is going to be nerfed to unusable again.

Someone mentioned at an attempt to lifting the floor and lowering the ceiling, but it seems the differences just change, not resolve.

When do you think it was the most balanced? Now?
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    Someone mentioned at an attempt to lifting the floor and lowering the ceiling, but it seems the differences just change, not resolve.

That is the best way to balance IMO. Tone down the top 10% of overperforming things, buff the bottom 10%.

What ZoS is doing is changes too many things at once. The results are either intentional or haphazard. E.g. DK is in a wildly OP state now, with Templars a close 2nd.
    now it feels like Living Dark is going to be nerfed to unusable again.

LD is stupidly OP now, but the nerf is misguided IMO. A better solution is to put a flat value with limited stat scaling. Not just a flat value. Not just scaling. Somewhere in-between, so that stats do benefit it, but not overly so.

A lot of the problem back in 2020 and early 2021 was that flat values encouraged people to just build tanky and rely on tooltips and flat values to do their damage for them. I had mixed feelings about proc scaling but over time I've come to believe it was the right thing to do.
    Edited by taugrim on April 20, 2022 9:42PM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭

I PvP a templar, I've used race changes, sunk gold into New gear, farmed New skill points, and used a lot of bar set ups and specs. I'm not really complaining about that, if nothing changed in years, I probably would have gotten bored.

That said, sometimes it feels like changes swing things in such a major way and balance becomes nuts. Dk and Templar are so insanely OP right now, and now it feels like Living Dark is going to be nerfed to unusable again.

The philosophy of balance seems to be to buff and nerf classes, each in turn, so that all bask in the limelight eventually -- just not all at once.

People will remind you that a year or so ago Mag DKs were hard to sustain. Or that Magplars lacked punching power.

Etc.

Edited by Metemsycosis on April 20, 2022 11:26PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Lole
    Lole
    ✭✭✭
    Dk is so broken it’s not funny anymore…
    Can’t be surprised when they have all they need in their classkit while other classes need to get worse versions from other sources
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a short window between hrothgar nerf and further reduction of damage via battle spirit.
    We are at the point where everyone hates magDK and plar only because necro, warden, NB burst isn't killing now.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This game has never had any real balance and probably never will. It's always something that's 200% better then everything else, whether it's a class, set or skill.
    Edited by Akinos on April 22, 2022 1:30AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zos balances the game around $$ like everything else they do, they buff certain classes to make them the meta. Players then have to re-farm gear and/or spend gold buying new glyphs.

Zos will leave it this way until they see fit then they nerf those classes and buff underperforming classes to make them the meta, Rinse and repeat.

It keeps people playing and farming even at end game pvp, introduce OP new sets with each expansion and the process starts all over again.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Technically there is some "balance" because most people just go all in on the cheese every patch (eg your typical 12 DK battleground). There's a lot more broken / overtuned stuff than just magDK though if you want something different. Just embrace the cheese otherwise you will be forever salty.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is never really great balance in pvp atleast, but I cant recall anything being so op compared to everything else as dk (and templar) is atm. Magdk needs to get nerfed extremely hard for them to be on par with wardens,sorcs,nightblade and necros. Templar already recieved nerf on pts so it looks like that will be more in line soon...but dk did not.......

PC EU
    PvP only
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    After Zenimax have make a better balance for what bug and not bug, i belive it is almost fifty/fifty now, it will be nice the start work for players balance in the game to.
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!