The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Problem with Motifs

Tantala
Tantala
✭✭✭
I recently returned after a long layoff and designated one of my old characters a dedicated crafter - well, he did have 9 traits in everything except one jewelry entry which he is currently reseaching. Then the Anniversary event started and I was bombarded by motifs. I thought the message saying "use to add to lore library" meant these were account wide but I now discover that they are only account wide for outfit purposes (outfits are new to me) but not for crafting. So, two questions
1. Is there any way to recover the situation and move the motifs (currently unused for crafting purposes) to my crafting character. (I fear I know the answer to this question but I might as well ask).
2. Is there any way to determine which motifs a character can use? At least then I will know which ones to look out for.

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tantala wrote: »
    I recently returned after a long layoff and designated one of my old characters a dedicated crafter - well, he did have 9 traits in everything except one jewelry entry which he is currently reseaching. Then the Anniversary event started and I was bombarded by motifs. I thought the message saying "use to add to lore library" meant these were account wide but I now discover that they are only account wide for outfit purposes (outfits are new to me) but not for crafting. So, two questions
    1. Is there any way to recover the situation and move the motifs (currently unused for crafting purposes) to my crafting character. (I fear I know the answer to this question but I might as well ask).
    2. Is there any way to determine which motifs a character can use? At least then I will know which ones to look out for.

Once the motifs are "learned" you're stuck. You aren't the first and won't be the last person who accidentally learned a motif on the wrong character.

Put the unused motifs in your bank. Withdraw on your crafter and use them to learn it. For "Outfit" purposes, every character on you account can use the style your crafter learned. Only your crafter can make the "real" gear in that style.

Generally the more skill points you have invested, the better your chances of being able to learn a motif. If you want to be sure to be able to use any of them, max out your crafter. Please note; to make crafted sets you have to know the appropriate number of traits required. For example, Ashen Grip you need to know two traits to make it. For Morkuldin's, you need 9 traits. Doesn't have to be specific traits for the under 9 sets, but you need the specific number. Reinforced and well-fitted, or Impenetrable and Infused, or Training and Divines, whatever, as long as you know the correct number needed.

• Tantala
    Tantala
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Once the motifs are "learned" you're stuck. You aren't the first and won't be the last person who accidentally learned a motif on the wrong character.

Put the unused motifs in your bank. Withdraw on your crafter and use them to learn it. For "Outfit" purposes, every character on you account can use the style your crafter learned. Only your crafter can make the "real" gear in that style.

Generally the more skill points you have invested, the better your chances of being able to learn a motif. If you want to be sure to be able to use any of them, max out your crafter. Please note; to make crafted sets you have to know the appropriate number of traits required. For example, Ashen Grip you need to know two traits to make it. For Morkuldin's, you need 9 traits. Doesn't have to be specific traits for the under 9 sets, but you need the specific number. Reinforced and well-fitted, or Impenetrable and Infused, or Training and Divines, whatever, as long as you know the correct number needed.

Thanks JK. I just need to get better organized. Following your idea I have stuck a crate in my town house in Alinor (which is the most convenient crafting location I have found) and my master crafter is permanently based there. All crafting items will be dumped into the crate so he can have first pick. Hopefully this will avoid future errors. With the outfitting system the mistake doesn't matter for my own characters but I anticipate joining a guild sometime soon and it would be nice to make to order.

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tantala wrote: »
    JKorr wrote: »

Thanks JK. I just need to get better organized. Following your idea I have stuck a crate in my town house in Alinor (which is the most convenient crafting location I have found) and my master crafter is permanently based there. All crafting items will be dumped into the crate so he can have first pick. Hopefully this will avoid future errors. With the outfitting system the mistake doesn't matter for my own characters but I anticipate joining a guild sometime soon and it would be nice to make to order.

Addons on the PC can automatically add motifs to your bank and pull them out on your "main crafter" character. It is more of a manual pain on a console. You also have the risk there of accidentally learning something due to the fact the inventory focuses on the new motif when the box is emptied. You have to go slow (which I failed at many times on console) to avoid that.

Going slow and crafting on many alts does not work well together.

PC
    PS4/PS5