The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Warfare Slottables for Solo PVE Magplar?

ADarklore
ADarklore
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been reading several online solo PVE Magplar guides, and they all seem to have different choices for the blue Warfare slottables. One suggests Fighting Finesse, Biting Aura, Master at Arms and Thaumaturge, another drops Master at Arms for Wrathful Strikes. Another replaces Thaumaturge with Deadly Aim and Biting Aura for Reaving Blows. It's very confusing when they're running almost identical builds.

Currently I'm running Fighting Finesse, Biting Aura, Master at Arms and Deadly Aim. Since I play strictly as a solo player, I'm wondering what other players are using for the Warfare Champion Points on their solo-centric Magplar.
CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a solo-centric Magplar but she is largely a healer. For damage she focuses on AoE and does not push crit. Those characteristics drive her blue slottables to:
    Arcane Supremacy - healers use a lot of magicka.
    Biting Aura - all her damage is AoE except light attacks.
    Untamed Aggression - spell damage helps damage and heals both.
    Wrathful Strikes - same as above (more spell damage).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a solo-centric Magplar but she is largely a healer. For damage she focuses on AoE and does not push crit. Those characteristics drive her blue slottables to:
    Arcane Supremacy - healers use a lot of magicka.
    Biting Aura - all her damage is AoE except light attacks.
    Untamed Aggression - spell damage helps damage and heals both.
    Wrathful Strikes - same as above (more spell damage).

With Wrathful Strikes getting a boost next patch and the others I mentioned getting a 4% nerf... this may be the way to go. What Mundus do you use? I run Thief with NMA/War Maiden gear and either Wild Hunt ring or Pale Order depending on if I'm running difficult content (soloing WB's or group dungeons) or open world questing.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar is not meta at all but she is my fave. Again, she's a solo-focused healer who enjoys soloing WBs and group dungeons but also loves healing others who show up at WBs and occasionally running group dungeons with a group as the healer. So, again, that drives her choices. She focuses on spell damage (since it is also healing power). Therefore her mundus is the spell damage one (Apprentice). She almost ignores crit because she wants reliability over occasional extra heals/damage and that is the price she pays to have higher spell damage.

Don't laugh but she runs 7 light using 5 Rattlecage, 5 Spell Power Cure and mismatched monster pieces for more magicka and more spell damage. Her skill line up looks similar to that of most healplars except she slots puncturing sweeps for self-preservation and because she spends plenty of time with a boss in her face.

And she's a wood elf. This is a roleplay thing but the extra stamina does come in handy when soloing due to the extra block/interrupting of bosses.

Despite her somewhat odd build, she's never ever had a complaint when healing for a group, though we don't run trials at all.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never followed the meta or BIS either. I also tend to avoid grouping altogether, so when Companions were introduced I was ecstatic and then I hunted down the Pale Order ring, so it made life even better!! :)

I try to have a fairly balanced build... thankfully going all 7 Light and running NMA I have plenty of penetration. Running War Maiden with NMA I have plenty of spell damage... so the only thing I was lacking was crit (which I now get from running Thief) with Precise weapons.

I think one thing people don't GET about 'crit' is that if you have low spell damage, your crit is only going to boost you to the point where you would have already been had you stacked spell damage- and crit is a 'chance'- so like you said, not consistently reliable. I'd much rather have higher spell damage than crit, because one is more consistent than the other... although in a perfect world I'd prefer both. I think this is why ZOS has been nerfing crit and pushing spell/weapon damage... but people just don't seem to get it. So they continue to pursue crit because 'that's what everyone says to do'.

Damage is such a mixture of things too. So you have little to no penetration but invest heavily in crit... now much of that damage is being mitigated, so again, crit isn't "king" if other aspects of your build are lacking. Therefore, I think building more for consistency is the better option, especially if you don't have access to BIS meta gear.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I build for consistency (spell damage over crit) is for heals. When I really need to save someone, I want a reliable strong heal - not a heal that is normally weaker but sometimes stronger. For dps is probably averages out advantageous for crit over time but averaging out heals doesn't work that way - when you need a burst heal, it's gotta be strong.

Interesting on ring of pale order. My magplar survives when soloing tough stuff via puncturing sweeps. Her strong healing augments the skill and both her lightning staff (that she sweeps with) and her resto staff use the powered trait (stronger heals). So if she's sweeping, she's staying alive. Of course that feeds right into the fact that, like most healers, she's magicka hungry and needs good mag regen.