Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Shields & Resistances

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hello 👋

Quick question

Do shields take into account your resistances (physical or magical)?
Or is it just a raw damage amount that it absorbs ?

In other words: can your shield be stronger or weaker depending on your resistances or anything else ?!

Lets sya you have a damage shield of 10K , can that shield be stronger (still at 10K) when you have more resistances ?

Or are resitances only valuable after your shields deplete ?

Thanks !
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 8, 2022 12:53AM

Best Answers

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes shields take your resistances into account.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Answer ✓
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    @SkaraMinoc

Ok so if we both have a damage shield of 10K
    But you have 40k armor , and i only have 30k …

Then your shield mitigates more than mine ?
    Mine is then depleted sooner ?

Right?

Thanks !

Assuming everything else is equal then yes that's correct.
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    @SkaraMinoc

Right?

Thanks !

In PvE you are good at 30k resistance. The cap, as I understand it is about 31k resistance.

This does not apply in PvP, well, to a degree. In PvP players have penetration that effectively reduces an enemy player's armor so going over the game can still be beneficial in PvP.
    Answer ✓
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stat wise considering 33k is armor cap (which still applies to shields), there is only a 3k armor difference between the 30k and 40k example which is a very small resistance difference, but in simple terms, yes the 40k armor the shield will last slightly longer

if you want a better example, 15k vs 33k armor might show more impact, in this instance the 33k armor the shield would last twice as long if the shield strength was the same between the 2

for your other question boundless storm is increasing resistance, which effectively strengthens the shield (unless you are already over armor cap)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
    Answer ✓
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past there was a time when Shields did not take into account Resistances, but also could not be critically hit. Currently, they can be critically hit, and also have your resistance values applied to them as well. However, they do not have your block mitigation applied when you are "Bracing", outside of the Champion Perk that applied 10% mitigation to your Damage Shield when blocking. If I am incorrect about that, then i'm sure someone else will one-up me on that information.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All sources of damage mitigation apply to damage shields except for block.

If you have 33k armor, it will apply to the damage shield.

If you have 30% damage reduction from Ironblood set, it will apply to the damage shield.

Mag Sorc in PvP can load up 20k worth of shields and go into Mist Form and those shields get 75% damage reduction.

Blocking does nothing until your damage shield is depleted.

Source: Damage Mitigation: Explanation UPDATED 21/03/2021
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    12+ months ago I ran Aetherial Ascension + Necropotence in Mag Sorc PvP. I had a 10k damage shield w/ 40k armor.

It was really strong with the pre-nerf Malacath +25% damage. I could 1v1 almost anyone and frequently 1vX.

The meta has since changed but armor absolutely applies to damage shields.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on April 6, 2022 4:42PM
    PC NA
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    @SkaraMinoc

Right?

Thanks !
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Does that also apply when i use the skill boundless storm after shielding up? Does that make my shield stronger as well because of the extra 5900 spell resistance that is suddenly added ?

• Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do know shield takes resistances ? And I didn't notice my shield Crit yet. I will pay attention to it
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast_El wrote: »
    How do know shield takes resistances ? And I didn't notice my shield Crit yet. I will pay attention to it

The changes were introduced with the Murkmire DLC (as far as I remember), so about 2 years (?) ago. "Crit" means your ward will take critical damage, not that your ward has a chance to crit for bigger size.

To clarify, prior to the change a ward would take, let's say always 1000 pionts of damage from a particular attack, no matter if that attack was a crit (and hit for more on a non-ward target) and independent from the targets resistances. Now, the same attack would hit the target for 1000 points of damage at 0 resistances and, e.g., 1500 pointzs of damage if it crits. For each 6600 points of resistance, it hits the target for 10% less damage. Not factoring in %-based mitigation like major protection, this changes the math slightly but not the general picture.
    Edited by Bergzorn on September 2, 2022 11:38AM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    So my shield would be way more effective with 22k resistance than 16k. My shield would take 10% less damage
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Cast_El wrote: »

The changes were introduced with the Murkmire DLC (as far as I remember), so about 2 years (?) ago. "Crit" means your ward will take critical damage, not that your ward has a chance to crit for bigger size.

To clarify, prior to the change a ward would take, let's say always 1000 pionts of damage from a particular attack, no matter if that attack was a crit (and hit for more on a non-ward target) and independent from the targets resistances. Now, the same attack would hit the target for 1000 points of damage at 0 resistances and, e.g., 1500 pointzs of damage if it crits. For each 6600 points of resistance, it hits the target for 10% less damage. Not factoring in %-based mitigation like major protection, this changes the math slightly but not the general picture.