The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Minimizing death rate of DDs in vAS through complex plane positioning and quantum superposition

Plectro
Plectro
✭✭
Hello everyone,

so you might have heard about DDs positioning in the Asylum Sanctorium trial being all messy. Professor Sil and I have been working on this research for a while now and we have developed quick and simple strategies to minimize these deaths. Read our paper!

Introduction:
The Asylum Sanctorium trial holds up to 12 members, who St. Olms The Just will attempt to mercilessly murder during their stay. Among St. Olms’ attacks is Storm The Heavens which has several times proven to be especially deadly to damage dealers (further just “DDs”). In order to try and minimize deaths caused by this attack, we have researched the attack pattern and calculated optimal trajectories on the complex plane representing the plan view of the fighting arena. Furthermore, we have also devised optimal timing of performing the quantum measurement to collapse the DDs superposition in the Bloch sphere representation of the arena into the classical binary information where 0 represents the exit and 1 represents the entrance of the arena. This quantum superposition collapse has proven especially useful to avoid deaths during St. Olms’ Gusts of Steam attack (Nefas et. Chill, 2E 582).

Section 1: Storm the Heavens positioning
Many DDs often report the traditional positioning to be confusing, where each DD is assigned an integer value x, where x is a member of the set [1, 8], which is a subset of ℕ. Because of this confusion, DDs do not know where to stand (Diametra, Qcell, 2E 582)
Our team has devised a simpler explanation for this positioning using the unit circle representation within the complex plane, centered at the intersection of the real and imaginary axes. The position of each DD can be simply represented using the following formula:
uby8wsloe252.png
Where P is the final position of the DD on the complex plane, i is the imaginary unit, D is the optimal spacing constant and x is the traditional position of the DD (in range 1 to 8). If we let:
1nbjb5n2kceo.png
it is immediately obvious that using Taylor Expansion, P can be also simply expressed in the form:
9whiafe0ka7y.png
yk581f4xcutj.png
After careful consideration, we have determined that setting
noda3gbtbpun.png
will yield optimal results.

Example 1.1:
You are assigned traditional position DD1. Which position on the complex plane unit circle is this equivalent to?
Solution:
For DDx, we set x = 1, this will result in:
4oklhbs2b8xf.png
Which simplifies to:
bw7zv91n0gr7.png

Section 2: Gusts of Steam positioning
There are various methods of positioning during the Gusts of Steam mechanic. Most DDs will however take on a superposition within the Bloch Sphere representing the arena, where the ket |0> is positioned at the exit and the ket |1> is positioned at the entrance of the arena. The more experienced DDs may be successful at maintaining the superposition, only modifying the phase of the quantum DD, moving between phase φ = -1 and +1 in order to avoid the Olms’ landing zones, mirroring and adapting the opposite phase of Olms.
However that strategy is more complicated and this paper is aimed at a beginner audience, so we propose a simpler solution.
yvr7l25pumjz.png
The proposed solution is for every DD to monitor the health of Saint Olms. It is important to note that Olms will engage in Gusts of Steam at 90, 75, 50, and 25% of his health. For this reason, shortly before reaching this threshold, DDs should perform a measurement of their superposition (recommended t = 3 s) and thus collapse either to position 0 or 1 before St. Olms starts jumping.
To set-up, DDs should start in the |0> state, and apply the Hadamard rotation to themselves.
nn06kvatsagw.png

Where the Hadamard rotation H is the quantum gate transformation
flsgyxvjfz5b.png
This will result in an equal superposition of |0> and |1> as
ee4wpkkd82iy.png

Now DDs just need to wait for St. Olms to get near the Gusts of Steam activation threshold and then perform a measurement M of g452uirebrma.png
collapsing the superposition, resulting in their final position stationed at either the exit or the entrance of the arena.

Edited by Plectro on April 1, 2022 2:57PM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plectro wrote: »
    ...so you might have heard about DDs positioning in the Asylum Sanctorium trial being all messy. Professor Sil and I have been working on this research for a while now and we have developed quick and simple strategies to minimize these deaths. Read our paper!

The Asylum Sanctorium trial holds up to 12 members, who St. Olms The Just will attempt to mercilessly murder during their stay. Among St. Olms’ attacks is Storm The Heavens which has several times proven to be especially deadly to damage dealers (further just “DDs”).

In order to try and minimize deaths caused by this attack, we have researched the attack pattern and calculated optimal trajectories on the complex plane representing the plan view of the fighting arena.

After careful consideration, we have determined that setting

will yield optimal results.

resulting in their final position stationed at either the exit or the entrance of the arena.
    i'm not smart enough in MATH to know better , but if this is all legit then it goes wayyy beyond a mere click of 'insightful'. ;)

Kudos to such a meticulous effort (and explanation) . /tip-hat
  • OccamsRazor
    OccamsRazor
    Soul Shriven
    Oh man, I usually don't bother with forums but your post was just funny, well done :smiley:
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, I usually don't bother with forums but your post was just funny, well done
    oh gosh, i just now noticed the OP posted on *April Fools Day* ....So yeah, i guess my reply above ^ makes me the umm "fool" here lol UGH :s