The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is ZOS ever going to fix the stupid door bug?

RaikaNA
RaikaNA
✭✭✭✭✭
I did a daily random and the game selected blackheart haven as my daily dungeon. I was not able to get the door to open for me to reach the final boss whereas the rest of my pug group manage to get the door to work for them...

6u8Zl2m.png

Pugs will be pugs, and unfortunately, I was robbed of the final boss loot because my pugs did not wait up for me. This is game-breaking! When is ZOS going to acknowledge this bug that they seem to be unable to fix?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 1, 2022 11:21AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im actually more surprised it did not just pull you into the boss with "joining encounter in progress" (this was added for some bosses such as the wayrest 1 boss behind the door)

i think that was zos intended fix, was the joining encounter in progress lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know about this. I think it needs fixing pronto. Or a way to teleport past the door if you've completed everything else up to this point, like a portal from one side of the door to the other.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im actually more surprised it did not just pull you into the boss with "joining encounter in progress" (this was added for some bosses such as the wayrest 1 boss behind the door)

No, I did not get pulled in for the fight. Maybe that's a bug too? Who knows.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like that dungeon should be added to the "Joining encounter in progress" feature added with the v7.2.5 Deadlands patch.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • LostHorizon1933
    LostHorizon1933
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    I didn't know about this. I think it needs fixing pronto. Or a way to teleport past the door if you've completed everything else up to this point, like a portal from one side of the door to the other.

Only in ESO could there be a sentence about needing a magic portal beside a door in case the door doesn’t work.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem usually is you're in combat with something, you have no way of knowing what that something is until you backtrack. There's no combat indicator on the HUD unless you open the map or the menu, even then you don't know what it could be.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found crouching and moving to the side of the doors helps me target them to open.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's probably some add stuck somewhere, because of course there is. Also for some reason, werewolf pets can sometimes prevent you from going through, if there is one stuck somewhere. You have to go back to human form, and then it usually works. Well, "works"...
  • carolingnight
    carolingnight
    ✭✭✭
    That particular door annoys me. There are a few others like it scatted around Tamriel, but this is the only one I regularly encounter. I noticed I have to back off a bit from the door and find a sweet spot to activate it. Not sure if that'll help in the mean time.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found crouching and moving to the side of the doors helps me target them to open.

I use a backwards roll dodge and it usually clears it for me. I also have issues occasionally being able to open chests due to the game thinking I am in combat...and backwards roll dodge works there as well.

I am sure any direction roll dodge probably works.....but I only ever do backwards and can only confirm that works. I usually blame my warden pet for this.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most door “bugs” are simply an NPC you missed.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem usually is you're in combat with something, you have no way of knowing what that something is until you backtrack. There's no combat indicator on the HUD unless you open the map or the menu, even then you don't know what it could be.

Been in same situation twice today. I have addon that shows at all times if I am in combat.
    I knew it started with harpies, and I know some harpies get stuck on top, which is bad already. I carefully checked everything reachable, but nothing was visible. No way to kill some harpie that you can't even see.

This stupid thing must go. If enemy did not do/attempt to do any damage or receive any damage in X seconds, enemy should go out of combat and let you do things.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

Been in same situation twice today. I have addon that shows at all times if I am in combat.
    I knew it started with harpies, and I know some harpies get stuck on top, which is bad already. I carefully checked everything reachable, but nothing was visible. No way to kill some harpie that you can't even see.

This stupid thing must go. If enemy did not do/attempt to do any damage or receive any damage in X seconds, enemy should go out of combat and let you do things.

some of those harpies get stuck in the walls too, not just in the air, its hard when they get stuck in like away from the ground halfway up a wall which makes it hard to hit them with aoes lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't get pulled to the encounter. I had that happen to me in one of the new dungeons because I was racing across the pier or dock and fell through one of the big gaping holes that are all over the place, then I was swimming around forever trying to find a way back up when everyone else engaged the boss and I was ported to it.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't get pulled to the encounter. I had that happen to me in one of the new dungeons because I was racing across the pier or dock and fell through one of the big gaping holes that are all over the place, then I was swimming around forever trying to find a way back up when everyone else engaged the boss and I was ported to it.

i know they for sure applied this on all of the DLC dungeons (even ICP will port people to the boss when you get to the 2nd boss which doesnt have a door to go through as its just a hole in the wall)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bug is being stuck in combat. The door just makes that bug much more apparent and shines a light on it. If there were no doors requiring interaction, you likely wouldn't notice the bug as much. If they fix the root cause of this issue, the doors won't be a problem anymore. If a mob can't interact with a player in X amount of time, they need to de-aggro. It sounds simple, but if it were that simple, ZOS would have done it by now.

Another alternative would be to allow door use while in combat. The door at the end of Volenfell does this as you will always be in combat when it comes time to use that door. They could add this feature to many other doors, but then the entire point of the doors is lost. They are meant to bottleneck you and force some level of combat in order to pass. Without that, players would simply run straight from boss to boss. The requirement to end combat to use the door is needed for this. ZOS needs to decide if it's that important for them to have this bottleneck in place since they seem unable/unwilling to change how easy it can be to become stuck in combat. It's not just players intentionally skipping mobs.

They just recently fixed the mob in Tempest Island walking behind a wall and getting stuck. There is one in DIrefrost that often walks backward up a staircase into the ceiling and a similar one in Cradle of Shadows. I'm sure there are more. Sometimes players have no control over being stuck in combat and adding doors to the situation only makes the game look amateurish.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this particular dungeon the first encounter with the harpies will often (and by that I mean almost always) not spawn them in to the correct location so they end up floating in the air way above your head. You'll need either a gap closer or ranged attacks to kill them at that point.

Don't expect this to be fixed. ZoS basically refuses to update old content unless it is literally game-breaking and even then they might not bother. Management probably doesn't see it as work that will generate funds and disallows allocating hours spent on this kind of thing. They also won't address the stuck-in-combat bug for likely the exact same reasons. This has been in the game for literal years now and isn't going away.

Long-story-short: You'll just have to learn which dungeons do this, where and how the problems arises, and then bring the right tools for the job... Ooooooor alternatively everyone could collectively refuse to purchase DLC, ESO+, and Crown Crates until these long-standing issues are resolved. Management would instantly allocate resources if they felt the bottom-line would suffer due to such oversights in development. *shrug*
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's probably some add stuck somewhere, because of course there is. Also for some reason, werewolf pets can sometimes prevent you from going through, if there is one stuck somewhere. You have to go back to human form, and then it usually works. Well, "works"...

I will run into this on my sorc where the pets are still holding aggro on something and the only way out is to dismiss them after which the door will work.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They do it for wayrest famous door
  • Armanie
    Armanie
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of doors, how come opening a door leading to a restricted area while hidden will keep you hidden, but opening a normal door while hidden will break your sneak?! This can be a problem when you have a bounty and guards are nearby. There's no reason why mechanics shouldn't be the same for both types of doors. A door is a door and it shouldn't matter if the area it leads to is restricted or not.
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that question is so easy to answer.
    NO.
    They will fix that when they get around to fixing White Gold Tower bug.
    That's taken YEARS, and that still isnt fixed lol
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not the doors being buggy but having aggro on mobs from the other side of the map. When you kill the three crocodiles in WS1 in the very first room or don't aggro them at all you'll never have problems with this door. Same goes for BH but there it's just mobs floating somewhere as they don't spawn in correctly, kill them all with ranged attacks and no problem occurs at the door. It's all about having aggro while rushing dungeons, one muppet in the party can screw everything up for the rest by just running and ignoring adds.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »

It's not the doors being buggy but having aggro on mobs from the other side of the map. When you kill the three crocodiles in WS1 in the very first room or don't aggro them at all you'll never have problems with this door. Same goes for BH but there it's just mobs floating somewhere as they don't spawn in correctly, kill them all with ranged attacks and no problem occurs at the door. It's all about having aggro while rushing dungeons, one muppet in the party can screw everything up for the rest by just running and ignoring adds.

Talking about crab wayrest boss. It's super easy to screwed someone over just by jumping down.

Side note a lot of dungeons have mobs in pathing issues now.

Tempest has this even killing everything.

Blackheart only the divines no why that door is like that when everything is long dead

Cradle of shadows seems to always have mobs flying in air inside wall

All these now happen almost every time now
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 1, 2022 9:08AM
  • bachpain
    bachpain
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are scrambling trying to keep the game from self destruction at the moment. Not sure when we will get any meaningful bug fixes. PCNA server can't run right for three days straight, let alone also allow mail service, zone transportation, and banking.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking about crab wayrest boss. It's super easy to screwed someone over just by jumping down.

Side note a lot of dungeons have mobs in pathing issues now.

Tempest has this even killing everything.

Blackheart only the divines no why that door is like that when everything is long dead

Cradle of shadows seems to always have mobs flying in air inside wall

All these now happen almost every time now

WS1: Aggro and kill all crocodiles before someone is rushing ahead and bugging them into walls - promlem solved
    Tempest Island: They recently removed the mob always falling behind the wall, just kill everything else like normal - problem solved
    Blackheart: Kill everything that's stuck in air with ranged attack - problem solved
    Cradle: Stop that one silly muppet rushing ahead from doing it and kill everything - problem solved

You can easily bypass all the buggy stuff when you just take some extra seconds to kill everything as intended, the hard part is to tell this to your PUG. I prefer kicking those rushing ones who ignore all adds.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    This tends to happen when you skipped some enemies at some point in the dungeon. The game still thinks you are in combat with them so won't let you use the door.

Crouching until you go into stealth normally fixes it. Not always, but normally.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish I could find the loading screen where it basically says that if you can avoid being hit by an enemy for a few seconds, you can escape through a door. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen that screen in game in a long time...
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WS1: Aggro and kill all crocodiles before someone is rushing ahead and bugging them into walls - promlem solved
    Tempest Island: They recently removed the mob always falling behind the wall, just kill everything else like normal - problem solved
    Blackheart: Kill everything that's stuck in air with ranged attack - problem solved
    Cradle: Stop that one silly muppet rushing ahead from doing it and kill everything - problem solved

You can easily bypass all the buggy stuff when you just take some extra seconds to kill everything as intended, the hard part is to tell this to your PUG. I prefer kicking those rushing ones who ignore all adds.
    Wait they fixed that archer in Tempest island? Nice!

Blackheart haven and Cradle can be a bit problematic since the enemies sometimes get stuck INSIDE terrain, most skills won't hit them after that. It happens sometimes even if you don't rush (noticed when soloing them). Templar spear shards always get them tho.
    I wish I could find the loading screen where it basically says that if you can avoid being hit by an enemy for a few seconds, you can escape through a door. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen that screen in game in a long time...
    That is the case for most doors. It's just a few base dungeon doors that have this problem (not allowing interaction while in combat). Later dungeons don't have this issue.
    Edited by LashanW on April 3, 2022 5:56AM
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who often has door troubles, I usually just roll dodge backwards to get the thing to work, or occasionally some combination of rolling backwards and changing weapons will work. Which should have nothing to do with getting a door to open.