The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How to play as DD if you are lazy and pacifist?

ixthUA
ixthUA
✭✭✭✭✭
To learn DD role, i made a 4 pet magsork 1 bar build, which is probably the laziest DD build. In dungeons i tend to just light attack and wait for other DD and my pets to kill things. How to get motivated to actually DD, rather than waiting for things to die on their own?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try a different role.
    PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good starting point is to find out how much DPS you are doing with your current build. You'll need a training dummy to figure that out (preferably at least 3 million health for normal dungeons) or be on PC using the Combat Metrics addon.

Once you've figured out your current DPS, that's a good baseline for figuring out where and how to improve.

It also depends on how much you want to improve. If your goal is to keep using an easy, "lazy" build that does enough damage to get you through Normal dungeons, then you might not have to do much.

If your goal is Vet DLC HM clears, you'll have more work to do.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    To learn DD role, i made a 4 pet magsork 1 bar build, which is probably the laziest DD build.

Choose a different build, not one that does auto damage, one that requires direct damage...

Or push yourself to do something that trains you, veteran maelstrom arena is good because it's technically kind of easy if you are good, but punishes you for not doing well enough.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on March 25, 2022 8:27PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my dungeon runs as lazsork DD i do around 50% damage with other sub-50 DDs, around 15% with post-160 DDs. Problem is not how much DPS i do, its that i am not motivated to do more damage than required. I know some people can push 120K DPS on a trial dummy, but practically dungeons are passable with 25K DPS per DD.
    For example in path of exile i played necromancer with a crowd of zombies and spectres, so my only task was looting. ESO lacks summoner DD class, even with 4 pet sorc i have 8 damaging abilities to use.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you have to find a class that interests you. I recommend trying out magicka templar. Puncturing Sweeps is SO satisfying to weave for me, and using Radiant Destruction is like the most fun time ever.

I also like magicka warden a lot. The skills are very bassy and they have good self-healing. Being capable at a class is what makes it fun for me.

No one can really tell you what you would enjoy, but your lazy sorc build sounds like it doesn't have enough anywhere near enough damage to do vet DLC dungeons, which are some of the most fun and interesting.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my dungeon runs as lazsork DD i do around 50% damage with other sub-50 DDs, around 15% with post-160 DDs. Problem is not how much DPS i do, its that i am not motivated to do more damage than required. I know some people can push 120K DPS on a trial dummy, but practically dungeons are passable with 25K DPS per DD.
    For example in path of exile i played necromancer with a crowd of zombies and spectres, so my only task was looting. ESO lacks summoner DD class, even with 4 pet sorc i have 8 damaging abilities to use.

But do you do 25k DPS?

I didn't ask your percentage - that's going to vary based on who's in your group, as you just demonstrated. My 1-bar MagSorc DD/Tank can pull up to 40% DPS on a boss if there's tons of adds and I get a low DPS group...and she does 15k DPS Damage. Percentage is a terribly inaccurate method to rate your efficacy as a DD.

I asked what's your DPS. If you are serious about wanting to learn how to play a Damage Dealer, damage-per-second is the number you need to focus on, not the percentage of group damage.

If it's a "I don't want to do more than the bare minimum," then maybe try running harder content. Sub-50 groups sounds like you are running Normals.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done vet DLC dungeons with total 30k team DPS. Its just my estimation that 25k DPS for DD should be enough.
    I will change my question: what makes you strive to do more DPS than required?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done vet DLC dungeons with total 30k team DPS. Its just my estimation that 25k DPS for DD should be enough.
    I will change my question: what makes you strive to do more DPS than required?

Frankly, I've tanked Vet City of Ash 2 with a total around 30k group DPS and it was a slog. Took us close to and hour and a half with multiple wipes. If it hadn't been my IRL friends, I'd have dropped group.

I didn't enjoy that experience, so I'd rather not inflict it on someone else when I'm the DD. That's a solid reason for me to strive to do more than the bare minimum of "30k group DPS on a vet DLC dungeon."

You still haven't said your DPS. Do you actually hit 25k DPS with this lazy, 4 pets, light attack build? If not, then by your own accounting, you aren't doing "enough."
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 26, 2022 6:40PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did vet Frostvault with 30k total team DPS (both DDs were PvP build), it took around 15 minutes to kill the last boss.
    My newbie lazsork does 8k DPS right now and its enough for normal dungeons. I have a feeling, when i get armor sets i will be still dealing bare minimum damage.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have occasionally thought about a pet sorc build that heavily boosts pet dmg

i think it was around when the cauldron dungeon came out and they added the ritualist set there which the proc marks an enemy and makes them take 16% more dmg from anything considered a pet

in terms of "pet" something like maw of the infernal is still counted as a pet for this set even if it is only a temp summon

now i you really wanted it to be lazy as a sorc you could try:
    • maw of infernal
    • ritualist
    • (due to hybridization this would work now) morkuldin (the one that summons the animated sword)

you would use daedric prey to give your sorc pets a further boost, but you would basically have 4 nearly permanent summons, all getting +16% dmg, with deadric prey boosting your volatile familiar and twilight dmg even further

just throw crystal frags and radiating regeneration and you could almost double as a healer too, or replace radiating regeneration with a destro skill (lazy would be elemental weakness since free to cast and one morph lasts for a solid minute applying status effects every 6 seconds)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sets, other than Maw, summon daedric pets? Preferably magicka type.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are ones that summon a "pet" (i like to call them pseudo pets) such as the hunger from the defiler set or maw of scavenging demise set (pseudo because i dont know if they are counted as pets for procs but are part of the visual of the set)

shadowrend is also a summon technically, and is a clannfear, but this also is a monster set and as such cannot be used at the same time as maw of infernal (it is also much weaker than maw too)

i can try checking in game later when i can more easily perform searches on set gear (thank you item set browser addon lol), but off the top of my head i dont think there are anything similar to maw, shadowrend, or morkuldin
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did vet Frostvault with 30k total team DPS (both DDs were PvP build), it took around 15 minutes to kill the last boss.
    My newbie lazsork does 8k DPS right now and its enough for normal dungeons. I have a feeling, when i get armor sets i will be still dealing bare minimum damage.

Thanks for sharing your DPS.

Yeah, 8k DPS will get you through most normal dungeons with an average group. Those are designed for leveling players, after all.

And yes, getting armor sets will not magically increase your DPS by an enormous amount. Those are only one part of the puzzle. There's also rotation, light attack weaving in between other skills, buff uptime, etc. Getting all that working together takes practicing in front of the training dummy.