The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Negate Magic needs some buffs or changes for PvE

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Right now it hardly negates anything at all.

If you don't align it perfectly it doesn't negate the rare items ir does negate

You hardly see anyone ever use it in gameplay

It's the only ultimate that doesn't work on stamina
Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 18, 2022 9:05PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negate is fairly strong. A well timed negate can wipe an entire zerg.

During MYM, I dropped a negate at the bottom of a cliff that a scroll runner was dropping off of, completely wiped the scroll runners group.

The suggestion you provided would actually be a nerf. The value of negate is that it shuts down magicka skill use, which in most cases is healing. A group stuck in a negate that cannot heal is a dead group.

Just reducing damage doesn't prevent the healing, doesn't stop them from doing damage either. If I am in a negate right now, I am immediately attempting to remove myself from the negate. If I were in the negate you suggest, I literally wouldn't care. Zero incentive to remove myself from the area and no way being in the negate is anything more than just a temporary damage reduction.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

During MYM, I dropped a negate at the bottom of a cliff that a scroll runner was dropping off of, completely wiped the scroll runners group.

The suggestion you provided would actually be a nerf. The value of negate is that it shuts down magicka skill use, which in most cases is healing. A group stuck in a negate that cannot heal is a dead group.

Just reducing damage doesn't prevent the healing, doesn't stop them from doing damage either. If I am in a negate right now, I am immediately attempting to remove myself from the negate. If I were in the negate you suggest, I literally wouldn't care. Zero incentive to remove myself from the area and no way being in the negate is anything more than just a temporary damage reduction.

Cool it only works well in pvp. The thing it does not work well in pve. Most PvE content it does not negate anything at all.

Edit

The first nerfs were for pvp too. It hasn't been used in pve as result for over 5 years now.

My suggestion might not work but there's a problem here. It's supposed to be a skilk for sorc tanks and healers but it's not.
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on March 25, 2022 3:16PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool it only works well in pvp. The thing it does not work well in pve. Most PvE content it does not negate anything at all.

Edit

The first nerfs were for pvp too. It hasn't been used in pve as result for over 5 years now.

Not every skill need to be viable for all content. And again, the changes you proposed wouldn't really be useful in PVE either. Magic damage reduction and aoe reduction, on a very expensive and non mobile ultimate. It's just a waste, no one would slot that. And the damage version of the ultimate is actually pretty decent in PVE to begin with given all of the utility the ultimate already provides. It is around 2/3s of the damage per second of the destro ult, but stuns enemies on cast for 12 seconds. And it is no harder to place than the destro ult.

The only reason you don't see it used much in PVE is because the stun isn't really needed too much and it is expensive. Which is fine, because again, not every skill needs to be useful in both PVE and PVP equally.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit

My suggestion might not work but there's a problem here. It's supposed to be a skilk for sorc tanks and healers but it's not.

To reply to your edit, who says it's supposed to be for sorc tanks and healers?

It's certainly useful for them as there are many PVE mechanics and mob groups that can be shut down by a well timed and placed negate. And the healing is also pretty decent, 4 times per second worth of healing compared to healing springs. + the utility of the skill.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edit

Not every skill need to be viable for all content. And again, the changes you proposed wouldn't really be useful in PVE either. Magic damage reduction and aoe reduction, on a very expensive and non mobile ultimate. It's just a waste, no one would slot that. And the damage version of the ultimate is actually pretty decent in PVE to begin with given all of the utility the ultimate already provides. It is around 2/3s of the damage per second of the destro ult, but stuns enemies on cast for 12 seconds. And it is no harder to place than the destro ult.

The only reason you don't see it used much in PVE is because the stun isn't really needed too much and it is expensive. Which is fine, because again, not every skill needs to be useful in both PVE and PVP equally.

Fair but the thing is it's unbalanced. This unbalanced is what holds sorc tanks and healers back in content.

In pve it should actually negate aoes but it does not. Many mobs are immune to the root it provides while other roots work (fang lair)

I change my thoughts. Make negate magic actually work in content
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buff it so it removes ALL aoes, even 'sticky' ones (like Permafrost or Solar Barrage) and delayed ones (Shalks and Proxi dets) so it also can be a proper ball group stopper.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edit

It's certainly useful for them as there are many PVE mechanics and mob groups that can be shut down by a well timed and placed negate. And the healing is also pretty decent, 4 times per second worth of healing compared to healing springs. + the utility of the skill.

Name a few contents where negate magic is useful in pve then compare it with other class ultimates of other classes

It's a trash ultimate compared to other classes what can revive the dead or pure damage reduction.

• FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    I'd buff it so it removes ALL aoes, even 'sticky' ones (like Permafrost or Solar Barrage) and delayed ones (Shalks and Proxi dets) so it also can be a proper ball group stopper.

Most aoes are sticky that's what making negate magic trash in pve currently for last years
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use the healing negate morph on my sorc healer for pve, works great as a support (very long 12 second stun on trash mobs (they cannot cc break and dont get immunity until it wears off), and still heals every half second compared to most heal over times)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i use the healing negate morph on my sorc healer for pve, works great as a support (very long 12 second stun on trash mobs (they cannot cc break and dont get immunity until it wears off), and still heals every half second compared to most heal over times)

But do you actually use it to negate anything? You could instead use encase
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit

Name a few contents where negate magic is useful in pve then compare it with other class ultimates of other classes

It's a trash ultimate compared to other classes what can revive the dead or pure damage reduction.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Stop the Gargoyle stomp in Hel Ra
    Stuns all non elite mobs in dungeon trash packs
    Decent in CR to stun the mobs in the portals
    A lot of solo arena use and solo dungeon use

To name a few.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Most mobs in dlcs can't be negated in trash pulls
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edit

To name a few.

Okay fair, but the thing is all the other classes can use their damage reduction ultimate all the time.

The negating part of negate magic hardly ever works in any dlc content
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's widely asked for in group for all sorts to run negate and I'm sure it's not because of being weak. Sure; now that Stam abilities are used by everyone; it's lost a little bite, but its still the key to bearing a lot of groups.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's widely asked for in group for all sorts to run negate and I'm sure it's not because of being weak. Sure; now that Stam abilities are used by everyone; it's lost a little bite, but its still the key to bearing a lot of groups.

In pve or pvp? Nobody asks for it in pve
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of groups ask for it in PVE.

Edit

To name a few.

Okay fair, but the thing is all the other classes can use their damage reduction ultimate all the time.

Every ult in the game is situational.

And again, the ult stuns non elite enemies for 12 seconds and removes ground based AOEs. It is very strong as is. Any nerfs to it are really unwarranted and any buffs to it are just going to make it too strong. Would I love it to shut down stamina skills and have a snare that makes it difficult to leave, absolutely. But that would make it too strong.

Are there maybe better ultimates? Sure. But that is the case across the board. Want a single target dot type Ult? Well, the bow ult and the storm atro are far better than the soul ult. Want a burst heal ult? The restro ult or the templar ult are going to have advantages over the warden tree ult. But in the end, it's the utility of the skill that provides value. Just because that utility doesn't work in every instance doesn't mean there is a problem with the skill, it just means there is a problem with how you are trying to utilize it.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Plenty of groups ask for it in PVE.

Edit

To name a few.

Every ult in the game is situational.

And again, the ult stuns non elite enemies for 12 seconds and removes ground based AOEs. It is very strong as is. Any nerfs to it are really unwarranted and any buffs to it are just going to make it too strong. Would I love it to shut down stamina skills and have a snare that makes it difficult to leave, absolutely. But that would make it too strong.

Are there maybe better ultimates? Sure. But that is the case across the board. Want a single target dot type Ult? Well, the bow ult and the storm atro are far better than the soul ult. Want a burst heal ult? The restro ult or the templar ult are going to have advantages over the warden tree ult. But in the end, it's the utility of the skill that provides value. Just because that utility doesn't work in every instance doesn't mean there is a problem with the skill, it just means there is a problem with how you are trying to utilize it.

It does not remove ground aoes most of the times. Have you tried it on newer content?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But do you actually use it to negate anything? You could instead use encase

i use it primarily for the healing, stunning the enemies allows the team time to recover with the healing

never really payed attention to it actually negating some effect

i dont see the relevance of encase, as it does not at all match the effects of negate
    • it is not an ult (could be used with negate)
    • it is an immobilize, not a stun
    • does not provide ally healing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvP. I feel like if it worked more in PvE; they would then build the mechanics to account for it, or even call for it, then people would complain they need it to much
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit

There have been PVE fights over the years where negate was a useful strat. It can also be extremely useful in VMA on certain bosses. It is a very good AOE CC ult for a sorc tank. Its also hands down the best way to solo a resource in Cyro (drop it right on the flag), which is basically a PVE activity in a PVP zone. I do think its highest an best use is PVP, specifically zerg fighting, but that is okay. Zergs need fighting and niche skills arent a bad thing. Not everything needs to be useful everywhere. In Cyro, I pretty much always run negate on my sorc. Its too good not to.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ooh OHHHH feel the fire in my heart today!

SOOOO negate magic can only be tiny bit viable in PvE, But this is okay?

PTS Change?

Healing Seed
    Corrupting Pollen (morph): This morph now also applies Minor Cowardice to enemies in the area, to help it gain some viability in PvE areas.

Where's the help with negate magic viability in PvE areas? :'(
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edit

Guess that doesn't apply to wardens right?

LOook at this PVE Change

Healing Seed
    Corrupting Pollen (morph): This morph now also applies Minor Cowardice to enemies in the area, to help it gain some viability in PvE areas.

• Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    i think it is more of a support skill than anything for dpstanking or healing but yeah i do wish it had more of a reason to be played in pve
    like if you were good at predicting certain boss attacks you could maybe skip the attack entirely with your ult..
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sparxlost wrote: »
    i think it is more of a support skill than anything for dpstanking or healing but yeah i do wish it had more of a reason to be played in pve
    like if you were good at predicting certain boss attacks you could maybe skip the attack entirely with your ult..

Most things are immune to it.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would be fun if it countered a little more abilities in PvE. Dispelling the poison AoE in Fang Lair or negating an orb in Coral aerie would be a fun mechanic w/o being totally broken.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much to say about this Ult in PvE besides that it barely negates anything. Fix that and we’re good.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Not much to say about this Ult in PvE besides that it barely negates anything. Fix that and we’re good.

Yes some more cases of usage would be good.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Would be fun if it countered a little more abilities in PvE. Dispelling the poison AoE in Fang Lair or negating an orb in Coral aerie would be a fun mechanic w/o being totally broken.

Even the stun seems be immune on a lot of newer content mobs.