The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Magplars - High Isle (updated discussion)

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey there fellow MagPLars

I'm replicating a discussion @Syiccal created a while ago. I am curious to what all the magplar out there have changed following the new update: are you all hybridizing your build? are you trying new gear? let's chat!
Edited by Rhaegar75 on July 2, 2022 4:47PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going to be using 2h (with resto) so I can have easier access to major sorcery. Probably the only significant change so far.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • AgentZenish
    AgentZenish
    ✭✭✭
    I played around with a lot of different things before deciding to change my life long magplar to stamplar, while still stacking spell damage. The sustain just felt better being able to use both stam and mag pools. I’m running Rallying Cry backbar, Briarheart or Plaguebreak front with Magma and Markyn and 1 pc trainee.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played around with a lot of different things before deciding to change my life long magplar to stamplar, while still stacking spell damage. The sustain just felt better being able to use both stam and mag pools. I’m running Rallying Cry backbar, Briarheart or Plaguebreak front with Magma and Markyn and 1 pc trainee.

Blasphemy!!! Betrayal!! I thought about that too but decided to stick to mag..maybe i'm lazy
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though max spell damage is popular right now I decided to try out max mag last night in Cyrodiil and it felt pretty good. At 47k mag (frontbar only) and around 5.8k spell damage when fully buffed that ended up slightly better numbers than going all in on spell damage and better yet it was up pretty much 100% of the time. I had Alfiq, Bright-Throat's, Domi shoulder and Gaze of Sithis. Resto staff on the backbar and sword/mace on the front. Only 26k hp and no ability to block but I didn't feel squishy at all.

I *did* morph to the stam version of jabs so that I'd have easy access to major sorcery so I had to go light on that since I only have about 18k stam. Instead of jabbing for my main source of damage I went with the javelin. While it won't burst down good players it can put a lot of pressure on people already being focused and *really* helps kill those pesky perma-blockers.

I should probably mention that primarily I was focused on healing others but I did pack enough of a punch that I could fight back if one or two tried to come after me.

Once the game is running again I think I might try a similar setup but primarily with max stam and see how it compares.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was running tri-pots too since I didn't need major sorcery from them. This really helped keep my stam up. Eventually I switched to just the cheap cp 150 stam pots and that actually worked pretty well too.
    Edited by Janni on March 22, 2022 12:35AM
  • PvP_Exploiter
    PvP_Exploiter
    ✭✭✭
    No reason to use any Stam morphs into.
    Only change I'm making is back at set to Rallying Cry.

Gives me slightly less SD but easier to give to team, and a hefty defensive buff. No brainer.

I only play Cyro/IC ATM so I know that we don't have the set more than once. In BGs could be wasted if an unknown teammate also uses it
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    Running Plaguebreak now and added Vigor. I'm a bit stronger and definitely more tanky than before. Having more stamina resources is nice while using Rally.

2 handed with Nirnhoned is working out very well.
    Edited by soniku4ikblis on March 22, 2022 6:21PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gives me slightly less SD but easier to give to team, and a hefty defensive buff. No brainer.

I only play Cyro/IC ATM so I know that we don't have the set more than once. In BGs could be wasted if an unknown teammate also uses it

I am very interested in Rallying Cry. What do you run on the front bar? does it proc regularly enough?

cheers
  • PvP_Exploiter
    PvP_Exploiter
    ✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

I am very interested in Rallying Cry. What do you run on the front bar? does it proc regularly enough?

cheers

That's the other option.
    So I use Magma, Clever Front, Olorime back.
    Markyn & 1x Trainee

Rallying is less damage than Olo, but a lot more defensive and easier to proc on team - doesn't require them running through an AoE you cast on yourself (Rune or Ritual).

However you could also take the hit from Clever to Rallying, have 100% uptime on two group buff sets.

Ideally you want a teammate on Rallying and Templar use Olo, but can't guarantee that with Solo BGs, or you just may want to solo open world.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried Hew and Sunder against ball groups with a bow/staff build. Especially a lighting staff. Against a 12 man ball group you pen would hit 15912 just from this set. Plus any other pen you have. You basically should be hitting players for near max damage with your abilities. I wonder how this set would work with DC.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on March 24, 2022 2:13PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried Hew and Sunder against ball groups with a bow/staff build. Especially a lighting staff. Against a 12 man ball group you pen would hit 15912 just from this set. Plus any other pen you have. You basically should be hitting players for near max damage with your abilities. I wonder how this set would work with DC.

Somehow I was disregarding Hew and Sunder but in theory it could become a good group buster.

cheers

That's the other option.
    Markyn & 1x Trainee

Rallying is less damage than Olo, but a lot more defensive and easier to proc on team - doesn't require them running through an AoE you cast on yourself (Rune or Ritual).

However you could also take the hit from Clever to Rallying, have 100% uptime on two group buff sets.

Ideally you want a teammate on Rallying and Templar use Olo, but can't guarantee that with Solo BGs, or you just may want to solo open world.

Do you get to proc Rallying consistently enough in solo mode? My crit rate is rather low on my magplar
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on March 25, 2022 10:15AM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good thoughts here, really appreciate the conversation.

I'm looking to get back into magplar for battlegrounds with Light of Cyrodiil (15% reduced damage when casting a spell) and either Gaze of Sithis or Magma Incarnate. Can't decide between more selfish or more optimistic about my teammates using buffs effectively : P

I'm curious what armor weight and traits everyone is using for melee builds. Mostly heavy, mostly light?
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    I play julianos/innate axiom/engine guardian

Only magicka for me and class abilities used that's why axiom.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Markyn worth it when you're only getting 2/3 of the bonus? Seems like Gaze of Sithis is more stat dense
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a Magplar. There is also no such thing as a Stamplar...this patch lead to both playing the exact same, even investing into the same main damage source, which is Spell Power. Literally the only difference is the investment in Magicka or Stamina itself, if you even do it, because you could just invest into health as well.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a Magplar. There is also no such thing as a Stamplar...this patch lead to both playing the exact same, even investing into the same main damage source, which is Spell Power. Literally the only difference is the investment in Magicka or Stamina itself, if you even do it, because you could just invest into health as well.

Think this stuff is still sinking in for many. I'm still tweaking as I find how much I can do. Pretty much find what resource you use the most and supply it with resources. Stack the damage that your class buffs most. Plar it's spell damage. DK is weapon damage.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magplar and Stamplar are still a thing. Bitings Jabs vs Puncture Sweep, Purifying Light vs Light of Power, etc... There are differences in slotted abilities and rotations. Now damage is closer thanks to abilities scaling off the higher damage stat.
  • bachpain
    bachpain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Rallying Cry broken or something? According to the numbers isn't it pretty meh if you aren't solo because the more people in your group the smaller the buffs it gives?

I am confused as to how it is so good for group when the tooltip looks bad for groups.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bachpain wrote: »
    Is Rallying Cry broken or something? According to the numbers isn't it pretty meh if you aren't solo because the more people in your group the smaller the buffs it gives?

I am confused as to how it is so good for group when the tooltip looks bad for groups.

The radius is important here. If you are running in a tight ball group when it procs, then it will hit all 12, thus lowering the dmg and crit resis. Even then, though, it’s not a bad set. But what usually happens is it will only hit some in the group, so you and them are getting higher values. It is a fantastic set to one bar when you are solo or small man.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a great BG set too since you know the value won't be below a certain amount
    • PC/NA
  • PvP_Exploiter
    PvP_Exploiter
    ✭✭✭

Somehow I was disregarding Hew and Sunder but in theory it could become a good group buster.

cheers

That's the other option.
    Markyn & 1x Trainee

Do you get to proc Rallying consistently enough in solo mode? My crit rate is rather low on my magplar

Yeah, radiating regen, rune, extended ritual, bubble. So many heals ticking one is bound to crit.

Front bar you can add in jab ticks

Not to mention it has two lines of crit chance for an extra 6% or something.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭

Sweeps and jabs are affected by whichever SD or WD is higher. The ONLY skill a templar has that is damage specific is Purifying Light and Power of the Light.

The reason that matters is SD vs WD infused jewelry, plus access to minor sorcery, plus medium armor W/SD bonuses. If you use PotL on a mag spec or PL on a stam spec, you really do end up losing quite a bit of burst on the explosion.

The pen you gain in PotL is gained on light armor, and the damage you gain from minor sorcery is gained by medium armor passive. It's pretty much a wash, but you still have to decide.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone still run Seducer?
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do on my levelling toons
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Anyone still run Seducer?

If you're healing an organized group in no proc Cyrodiil it's an option.
    • PC/NA
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of questions....

Will you keep using the good old 'bubble' if the nerf goes ahead? I will probably test a different skill: not yet sure which one. Maybe I will go back to degeneration so that i can use tri-pots again....not terribly inventive lol

Second question : what do you guys use on your Stamplars these days....I've just dusted mine and I'm several patches behind.
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 26, 2022 5:17PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can't go wrong with maelstrom 2h + deadly + ravager
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of questions....

Will you keep using the good old 'bubble' if the nerf goes ahead? I will probably test a different skill: not yet sure which one. Maybe I will go back to degeneration so that i can use tri-pots again....not terribly inventive lol

Second question : what do you guys use on your Stamplars these days....I've just dusted mine and I'm several patches behind.

1) I use to use it on bsckbar for the 40% snare and minor heal before when peing back from combat. That's probably where it would go back to again.

2) I switched my to magplar. Right now, magplar is just better. Period. In every way. I miss my stamplar for pvp, but its just what it is right now.
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Need help with my magplar.

I'm using
    Wretched Vitality
    Burning Spell Weave
    Magma Incarnate
    Markin Ring

What skill should I use?
    Edited by UntouchableHunter on May 3, 2022 2:22AM
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried the Trial by Fire set considering all the various elemental effects that hit us due to Sorcs and DK? I tried it but the bonus from the set seems not to be working at least on PS console, that is if the stats should show up on the stat sheet. I am considering using Trial by Fire with Stuhn if Trial by Fire does indeed work.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Need help with my magplar.

I'm using
    Wretched Vitality
    Burning Spell Weave
    Magma Incarnate
    Markin Ring

What skill should I use?

Dw or destro front bar?
    Resto back bar?
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden