The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pitiful Mount Chance Rates

KitsuneShoujo
KitsuneShoujo
✭✭✭
I don't really buy crates hoping I get mounts or apex mounts, because that path leads only to despair and madness. But I can't say it doesn't irk me.

Since they shoe-horned the crates into the game I have put more money into those than I care to admit. I'm not a whale by a long-shot, but it's significant.

Not once have I ever gotten an Apex mount. Most of them I don't even like (apex or otherwise) so not a big deal, but I'd really love one of the lizard-animal mounts...
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The odds are 1:50 for an Apex reward. (source)

The probability of failing n times is (1 - p) ^ n

If you open 1 crate, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^1 = 98%
    If you open 5 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^5 = 90.392%
    If you open 15 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^10 = 81.707%
    If you open 30 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^30 = 54.548%
    If you open 50 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^50 = 36.417% or approximately 1/e
    If you open 100 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^100 = 13.262%
    If you open 200 crates, the probability of not winning is (49/50)^200 = 1.7588%

6B1ma8T.png

The longest I've gone without an Apex drop is around 150 crates I think.

Sorry you're having bad luck.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on March 19, 2022 6:17AM
    PC NA
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    I opened about 12 crates today, I was trying to get enough gems to buy what I wanted. I think they should have a courtesy win after you open so many lol. No RNG outside of whatever apex happens to be available, "here's your one free apex mount, enjoy!"
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I opened about 12 crates today, I was trying to get enough gems to buy what I wanted. I think they should have a courtesy win after you open so many lol. No RNG outside of whatever apex happens to be available, "here's your one free apex mount, enjoy!"

They likely have outlier protection in the algorithm to prevent the scenario where you go 200+ crates without an Apex. But I agree a consolation prize would be nice! :smile:
    PC NA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember in the olden days when crown crates from drops had anything other than potions and those motif crystals in them.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

They likely have outlier protection in the algorithm to prevent the scenario where you go 200+ crates without an Apex. But I agree a consolation prize would be nice! :smile:

I think that's what the gems are supposed to be - if you keep opening crates (of the same type) you'll end up with more and more duplicates, which get turned into gems, and then you can use the gems to buy what you actually wanted. But of course that's very expensive.

I think the only reliable way to get an apex mount without spending huge amounts of money on crates is to forget about buying the crates entirely and focus on saving up seals of endeavour to buy them directly.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they say it is not gambling. :/
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I think that's what the gems are supposed to be - if you keep opening crates (of the same type) you'll end up with more and more duplicates, which get turned into gems, and then you can use the gems to buy what you actually wanted. But of course that's very expensive.

I think the only reliable way to get an apex mount without spending huge amounts of money on crates is to forget about buying the crates entirely and focus on saving up seals of endeavour to buy them directly.

The main problem with seals is that they take so long, and you have a limited amount you can get a day, and the items in the seal shop are tied to the crates. If they put in everything from every crown crate ever and then didn't have them artificially disappear after time, then it would be worth the grind.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The main problem with seals is that they take so long, and you have a limited amount you can get a day, and the items in the seal shop are tied to the crates. If they put in everything from every crown crate ever and then didn't have them artificially disappear after time, then it would be worth the grind.

I didn't say it was a good option, obviously ZOS want us to throw money at the problem so they're not going to make it easy or fun to get the items another way, but it is the only way to guarentee you'll get a specific item from the crates.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really buy crates ..... have put more money into those than I care to admit.

So you only needed so few words to contradict yourself?
    Very impressive!

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think that's what the gems are supposed to be - if you keep opening crates (of the same type) you'll end up with more and more duplicates.

I think in the past year (maybe two years) I have gotten exactly ONE item that was "a thing" (Senche cub of regret), EVERYTHING else across 3 accounts has been potions, poisons, motif crystals and maybe 3 or 4 riding lessons.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

I think that's what the gems are supposed to be - if you keep opening crates (of the same type) you'll end up with more and more duplicates.

I think in the past year (maybe two years) I have gotten exactly ONE item that was "a thing" (Senche cub of regret), EVERYTHING else across 3 accounts has been potions, poisons, motif crystals and maybe 3 or 4 riding lessons.

Is that only the Twitch crates or? Because the Twitch crates only contains consumables+ 1 pet and mount.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The probability is extremely small no matter how many crates someone opens. Each crate is its own dice roll. Considering they do post the odds I would not expect any changes until and unless enough area is covered by legislation requiring a change.

Essentially, the daily and weekly endeavor is intended to give us the means to get what we want without dealing with creates.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

I take it you're only opening the free crates from Twitch drops? That's all that's in them, it's impossible to get anything else.

But the crates you can buy in the crown store have a chance at all of the items shown in their categories. For example here's the list of what can come from the celestial crates: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Celestial_Crate

Each of those crates is guarenteed to give 1 superior or better item, which is the collectibles and rarer consumables (like XP scrolls) and has a chance at a 5th card with a second higher tier item so if someone keeps buying them they'll gradually get more and more of the collectibles and end up with more duplicates - and therefore more gems - per crate, meaning sooner or later they'll be able to buy the item/s they really wanted even if they don't get it as a drop.

As I said the downside is that's very expensive because you'll need a lot of crates to get enough gems for a radiant apex (or even apex) mount, but it still means there's a cut off point where even if someone has horrible luck and never sees the item they want as a drop they'll still be able to get it eventually.

• KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Milchbart wrote: »
    I don't really buy crates ..... have put more money into those than I care to admit.

Very impressive!

That's called taking something out of context.
  • lizardman
    lizardman
    ✭✭
    Milchbart wrote: »

Very impressive!

If you read their post correctly, you would have understood that they DO buy crates with the full notion that they might NOTget an apex mount. You interpreted it as "I don't buy crates."

Next time double check yourself before being cynical and rude.