The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Disabled addons will not stay disabled after logout

fgoron2000
fgoron2000
✭✭✭✭
Today after the update, I had really bad glitching, freezing, and constant loadscreens but that's not the bug I'm reporting though. To start my troubleshooting, I went into the addons on the character screen and disabled all of them to start with. When I loaded the character again, the glitching/freezing problem was gone, so I knew I had an addon issue that I needed to deal with. But when I logged out and went back to the addons to start reenabling them again one at a time, to find the offending addon(s), they were all already reenabled again automatically. I repeated this multiple times on multiple characters, sometimes by disabling each individual addon for all characters, and sometimes using the OFF switch at the top of the addon list, to turn them all off, once again for all characters. When I load a character and I'm in-game, I verified that the addons are definitely off, but as soon as I log out, they're automatically reenabled again every time. I'm on PC/NA.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    One further thing. When I say all addons, I actually had all addons except about 10 initially enabled. When I disabled the active addons, then they were all enabled. But when I logged out, it returned to the original configuration of all but 10 enabled.

I then disabled all the addons and then I I enabled one that was originally disabled, and loaded the character. Then when I logged back out, it was back to the original configuration again, including the one that I temporarily enabled. It was once again disabled along with the other 9 or so.

It's almost like the game is not updating the on/off status of the addons in the AddonSettings.txt file. Why would that be?
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, that appears to be what's happening. The file is being accessed so the game is finding it, but then it hasn't been modified for 4 days when I last played before today.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever was happening yesterday, it's no longer happening now.

After my previous comment last night, I made absolutely no changes of any kind to Windows, none to Norton, none to ESO itself. But it just suddenly started working properly today. The AddOnSettings.txt is now being updated, and the addon enabled/disabled status is working correctly. I can only assume that you fixed something on the back end. Whatever it was, I thank you. I can now start troubleshooting, and finding the offending addon that was causing the glitching & freezing.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had this before, it is because your folder ...Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live became read-only
    In my case it was caused by antivirus, had to add folder to exception. For start can just check if folder has read only setting checked.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    I had this before, it is because your folder ...Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live became read-only
    In my case it was caused by antivirus, had to add folder to exception. For start can just check if folder has read only setting checked.

Hmm, even though that shouldn't happen, it would've made sense that that would've been the cause. But as I said in my last post, the issue resolved itself without my making a single change or taking any step whatsoever, from the previous night.