The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Impenetration vs Reinforced trait

AvalonRanger
AvalonRanger
✭✭✭✭✭
Impenetration vs Reinforced trait

Which is more meaningful for PVE defense aspect?
And Why PVP needs impenetration rather than reinforced?

I'm really confused about difference of those trait.
My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reinforced is for PVE tanking, Impen for PVP.

Impen focuses on crit resistance, which is what a lot of players rely on for damage, which is why it is better suited for PVP so you can nullify a major source of player DPS. It has little to no practical use in PVE.

Reinforced ups your resistances across the board. It helps some builds get to the 25k-30k range for resistances preferred for tanks. The adds/bosses do not do crit damage so there is no need to defend against it. I like to mix my tank traits between reinforced, sturdy, and infused.

You would think Reinforced would work well in PVP, it does not. Impen is much a better defensive trait. Nirnhoned is arguably second best in PVP, but its not worth the cost of the mats.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impenetrable is literally meaningless in pure PvE right now.

It reduces the chance of the wearer receiving a critical hit which can be a huge chunk of damage.

HOWEVER -- NPCs have a 0% crit rate, and it never changes. NPCs cannot score a critical hit against a player under any scenario (currently at least).

This makes Impenetrable trait completely without real value if you're using it in PvE.
    PC NA
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

It reduces the chance of the wearer receiving a critical hit which can be a huge chunk of damage.

HOWEVER -- NPCs have a 0% crit rate, and it never changes. NPCs cannot score a critical hit against a player under any scenario (currently at least).

This makes Impenetrable trait completely without real value if you're using it in PvE.

Nor completly useless since second part of impenetrable trait also increases item durability so You need to repair less. Niche and with small use but still not useless.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for good advising me folks.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    axi wrote: »
    Fennwitty wrote: »

Nor completly useless since second part of impenetrable trait also increases item durability so You need to repair less. Niche and with small use but still not useless.

You are correct, I never remember that part of it :D
    PC NA
  • L33T_BEANS
    L33T_BEANS
    ✭✭
    For PVE reinforced on the chest / legs pieces of heavy armor can be worth doing for tanks. It's percentage based, so adding it to the larger armor granting pieces will give more resistance than nirnhoned does.

In PVP, I think reinforced might give you more damage reduction while blocking in some cases but generally, impenetrable is more useful because it'll help you more when you can't/won't block. It'll reduce the amount of damage a player's critical attack will do to you.